UnevenEdge

Someone with SNES experience help me out

That_One_Guy

Have you tried restarting a playthrough and saving? If the save file disappears again, it's possible that the save battery may have died. A lot of older games with saving functionality have one. I experienced this tragedy first hand with two Pokemon cartridges.

They can have an incredible lifespan, but they were not designed to last forever.

Edited by Gyaos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Gyaos said:

Have you tried restarting a playthrough and saving? If the save file disappears again, it's possible that the save battery may have died. A lot of older games with saving functionality have one. I experienced this tragedy first hand with two Pokemon cartridges.

They can have an incredible lifespan, but they were not designed to last forever.

I was considering trying to do a playthrough and save but I'm so disheartened I'm just going to bed :( I might have to trade it in 

Just now, That_One_Guy said:

If it were to be changed could my data be restored?

Unfortunately, the save is lost when a battery dies in the cartridge. You can replace the battery to renew your ability to keep a file on the cartridge, but that data is gone forever. It sucks, and I'm sorry that it happened.

Even if you replaced the battery beforehand, the save file would been lost regardless.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gyaos said:

. I experienced this tragedy first hand with two Pokemon cartridges

Rip my og Gold crew..

I remember still playing with my original gold team on my snes in 2010...I thought maybe my game was special and would last forever.......

After that bubble was finally popped I started a new campaign and just left the snes on for many days, only turning the tv off when i wasn't playing.

• Like 1

I've had this happen before with some games. I've experienced that, sometimes, restarting the game will somehow magically bring the save files back. As if on initial start up, it didn't have the energy to remember the saves, but after a warm up, memory came back.

But, I think I can only really remember this happening with GBA games, so, maybe probably different tech.

2 hours ago, That_One_Guy said:

Actual SNES

My best guess for you:

The save battery inside the cartridge has most likely died, or is close to it. There is a small cell battery inside the cartridge which powers the memory for saves and the like. Over time, it loses its charge and, and your game won't save/saves disappear. You can replace the battery yourself, if you know what you're doing, and have the tools. I recommend going to the iFixit YouTube page and searching for the project. You can probably just do a general Google search for it and find it.

• Like 1
  • D'oh 1

7 hours ago, lupin_bebop said:

My best guess for you:

The save battery inside the cartridge has most likely died, or is close to it. There is a small cell battery inside the cartridge which powers the memory for saves and the like. Over time, it loses its charge and, and your game won't save/saves disappear. You can replace the battery yourself, if you know what you're doing, and have the tools. I recommend going to the iFixit YouTube page and searching for the project. You can probably just do a general Google search for it and find it.

Thanks man. I'm getting a battery and a soldering iron today :) 

13 hours ago, That_One_Guy said:

If it were to be changed could my data be restored?

No, but it'll allow you to save again.  The batteries supply the power that keeps information the games RAM.  Kinda like how the battery on your motherboard keeps your bios settings and also how sleep mode  works on your computer.

Luckily they're basic flat cell batteries like 2033 or 2025.  They may be soldered in but can easily break them out and  you can hold the new one in place with some electrical tape.

Edited by Sieg67
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Sieg67 said:

No, but it'll allow you to save again.  The batteries supply the power that keeps information the games RAM.  Kinda like how the battery on your motherboard keeps your bios settings and also how sleep mode  works on your computer.

Luckily they're basic flat cell batteries like 2033 or 2025.  They may be soldered in but can easily break them out and  you can hold the new one in place with some electrical tape.

This is the SAME shit with GB/GBA games. I HATE doing this shit. I have the original Pokemon Games, and it's a bitch trying to change those cartridge batteries without fucking the tabs up.