UnevenEdge

How is Snow White w/ the Red Hair?

Lytbryt

I liked it.  If you enjoy fantasy romances it's fine.  The heroine is quite self sufficient, and her prince is cool, and his right hand man is the best (and also in love with heroine, but knows his place).  Palace intrigue and all that.  I didn't find it boring, but it's also not super heart-pounding, in either the action or romance departments.  Pleasant and mostly harmless, with some very likeable characters?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lytbryt said:

Mgus Bride was pretty boring too but I still liked it so its a slow show or whats the plot?

I dropped it after 4 or 5 episodes. Here's literally the first review on MAL... guess which word gets mentioned? =P

Spoiler

Shirayuki, why are you so special and so loved by everyone you meet? This is the question I cannot help but ask with each episode I watch of this anime. The specialness of this very bland, boring, ordinary girl with a supposedly unusual hair color just goes way too far. If I'm not feeling it, then why are all of these idiots in her world?

Those who claim this anime sidesteps the usual shoujo anime tropes couldn't be more wrong. It falls awkwardly and unawares into most of them and sloshes around in the ditch water like a pig wallowing in its own filth. We have a very cliched protagonist, Shirayuki, who is the Mary Sue of anime.

First, she has a very unusual name in any culture, "Snow White." If that doesn't scream "Mary Sue," then I don't know what does. Second, she has a rare hair color for NO story reason in order to force her to be considered special by the other characters, but it doesn't convince the viewer who is not impressed with this unrealistic display. Third, she is so special, the prince of her own kingdom wants to make her his concubine, but she decides to flee the country instead, only to run into none-other than the SECOND prince of the neighboring country. A coincidence for you, and one coincidence for YOU---coincidences for everybody!

But, wasn't Shirayuki escaping a horrible life when she ran away from home? That's why she ran, right? Well, no. In fact, she was very well loved by everybody in her own kingdom and she literally threw it all away simply because Prince Raj got horny and decided he wanted to pamper her like a wife without actually marrying her. I'm not saying this is okay, but there are worse fates out there.

So, now she's in the kingdom next door as the very special friend of Prince Zen, a young second prince she meets immediately upon leaving her own kingdom. Because she had already worked as an apothecary, she took naturally to this whole herbs business and easily passed the test to become the palace's apprentice herbalist. Well, nothing's hard for this girl, other than being so beautiful and revered. Life is hard, indeed.

And, that's just the problem. There really is nothing about Shirayuki's life that is a problem. She was happy before and she is happy now. She was pretty before and she is still pretty. She was hardworking before and she is hardworking now. She stood up for herself before, and she does it now, too. What is the point of even watching this anime when the story is nonexistent and she has so little conflict in her life?

It comes off like a wish fulfillment fantasy that gets so carried away with making the protagonist's life perfect, it's BORING AS HELL. There is no character development whether in Shirayuki, Zen, or anyone. You cannot have meaningful anything or anyone if you have nothing at stake. There is nothing at stake here, and it is a story about a really fortunate girl, with perhaps a bit too much fortune, finding a very fortunate love match. Perhaps this would be more interesting if there was some struggle and some real growth in Shirayuki and Zen, but it doesn't exist.

Watching this can be a way to pass the time if you're bored, but I found myself becoming bored while watching this. If a story about everyone getting along with everyone else and only having to deal with minor misunderstandings sounds like a blast to you, then dig in. I ain't got no time for this lightweight storytelling crap.

3 hours ago, Ric said:

Wow they made a Snow White hentai? Disney is going to have their asses.

Technically they can do whatever, Disney didn't invent Snow White, they just did an adaptation of it. It's like with the Fables/Wolf Among Us series where many characters featured have been used by Disney, but Disney didn't invent them so they're fair use 

50 minutes ago, Gina Szanboti said:

I liked it.  If you enjoy fantasy romances it's fine.  The heroine is quite self sufficient, and her prince is cool, and his right hand man is the best (and also in love with heroine, but knows his place).  Palace intrigue and all that.  I didn't find it boring, but it's also not super heart-pounding, in either the action or romance departments.  Pleasant and mostly harmless, with some very likeable characters?

Thank you helpful commentary not likethe rest of clowns in this thread

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dread Pirate Roberts said:

Technically they can do whatever, Disney didn't invent Snow White, they just did an adaptation of it. It's like with the Fables/Wolf Among Us series where many characters featured have been used by Disney, but Disney didn't invent them so they're fair use 

I know Grimm fairy tales, I was just fucking around.

With Disney changing copyright laws left and right though, they might fix that one day. 

Edited by Ric

19 hours ago, Daos said:

Here's literally the first review on MA

I don't disagree with most of that (except that I wasn't bored), and Shiroyuki is absolutely a Mary Sue, but it's pretty clear that review was written by an incel who thinks all women in real life are hypergamous gold diggers. He can't imagine that being essentially abducted against your will to be some rich creeper's sex toy is a bad thing, as long as you're otherwise living in comfort. Most women with the means to do so would nope right out of there, as she did.

I too enjoyed it.  It doesn't have quite the drama of a typical fantasy romance, but the female lead is indeed self sufficient and incredibly likable.  The prince is also very likable - he isn't the typical male counterpart to a strong female lead who either is completely spineless or is recovering from a severe case of toxic masculinity.  He is supportive without being doting or paternalistic.   Really, it's the absence of an obvious and concerted effort by the prince to woo the girl that somewhat ironically makes the slow plotting not boring for me.

2 hours ago, scoobdog said:

I too enjoyed it.  It doesn't have quite the drama of a typical fantasy romance, but the female lead is indeed self sufficient and incredibly likable.  The prince is also very likable - he isn't the typical male counterpart to a strong female lead who either is completely spineless or is recovering from a severe case of toxic masculinity.  He is supportive without being doting or paternalistic.   Really, it's the absence of an obvious and concerted effort by the prince to woo the girl that somewhat ironically makes the slow plotting not boring for me.

I watched it with my wife. We both enjoy it. I didn't feel it was slow at all. I pretty much agree with your review. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gina Szanboti said:

I don't disagree with most of that (except that I wasn't bored), and Shiroyuki is absolutely a Mary Sue, but it's pretty clear that review was written by an incel who thinks all women in real life are hypergamous gold diggers. He can't imagine that being essentially abducted against your will to be some rich creeper's sex toy is a bad thing, as long as you're otherwise living in comfort. Most women with the means to do so would nope right out of there, as she did.

Hmm that sounds interesting. Have you seen the Shield Hero? I am watching that right now and the dynamic between the main character and the female companion are a little... problematic so far. I'm only on episode 4 so theres room to grow but so far it has Stockholm Syndrome written all over it.

1 hour ago, Lytbryt said:

Hmm that sounds interesting. Have you seen the Shield Hero? I am watching that right now and the dynamic between the main character and the female companion are a little... problematic so far. I'm only on episode 4 so theres room to grow but so far it has Stockholm Syndrome written all over it.

It is problematic, more because she appears to be sexually mature and willing toBe seen as sexual but is only 10.  The male lead holds surprisingly strong misogynistic attitudes, but he doesn’t really act on them and doesn’t pursue any relationship with any of them.

12 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

It is problematic, more because she appears to be sexually mature and willing toBe seen as sexual but is only 10.  The male lead holds surprisingly strong misogynistic attitudes, but he doesn’t really act on them and doesn’t pursue any relationship with any of them.

Yeah it was really weird how she aged up in the course of one month or whatever... I guess demi-humans age faster or something? Idk I'm hoping they atleast get rid of the slave spell at some point cuz right now in the story she is acting solelly on his behalf because she is forced to do so

1 hour ago, Lytbryt said:

Yeah it was really weird how she aged up in the course of one month or whatever... I guess demi-humans age faster or something? Idk I'm hoping they atleast get rid of the slave spell at some point cuz right now in the story she is acting solelly on his behalf because she is forced to do so

It’s one of the reasons she’s problematic.  At least other female characters that show up aren’t pushovers like that.