UnevenEdge

Demarco's Response to someone worried about DBS Reruns as a lead-in

18 minutes ago, elfie said:

"Wait aren't you the too many long-runners guy?"  - actual professional leader of cable network

Stay classy DeMarco.

Hey if AoT wasn't Dragonball, why the hell would you allow it to lead in the block in the first fuckin place!?

He claimed they went over his head on that one. But again I think he's kind of a bullshitter =P

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, elfie said:

Things you are allowed to do when running a network: act like a human being.

Things you aren't allowed to do when running a network: act like a dick.

One might argue, the opposite is true.

Personally, I thought Jason chiming in with that line about Colt being the "too many long runners guy" was amusing. DeMarco responds to Colt's ramblings more than I'd say most other Toonami fans.

Seems it may only be a placeholder for something new on November 9th, the same day as The Forge...

http://www.adultswim.com/schedule

That's Episode 128 on the schedule this Saturday night. While I have no doubt they're gonna rerun it later at night from the beginning, it looks like it and MHA may swap whenever Toonami can legally air MHA Season 4, and that seems like it might be November 9th!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Confused 1

Can you just link to the tweets?

Well, regardless of however many people watch it, I'm not going to be watching the reruns.  Super just does not have the re-watchability for me like the original Dragon Ball/DBZ/Kai do, which I have watched over and over dozens of times, more than I could keep track of.  Too much inconsistency with the original series.  Even though Toriyama made things up as he went along, and forgot stuff from time to time, there was a logic to the world, and the characters' personalities and development, etc.  That goes out the window in Super.  GT, while not having the highs of Super, doesn't have its lows either.   Doesn't have all the fluff, either.  It was a pretty solid what-if sequel.  I thought using the Tuffles, and having the Dragon Balls themselves as the final villains, was really creative.  Don't think I can treat either as canon, though.  Maybe I would re-watch a few episodes or some arcs here or there, but I just can't see myself sitting through all of that again.

95 percent of Super is unwatchable crap. I mean... they were going to try and kill Goku Black with a bullet at one point.

It doesn't follow its own rules and power levels are wildly inconsistent. Krillin sparring with Goku in SS Blue?

Poor animation, poorly thought out plots, smart characters that suddenly become stupid, arc endings that are always cop outs and just way too much filler quality content.

No matter how popular it is, Super does indeed suck.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Top Gun said:

Super was no less pants-on-head stupid than the majority of DBZ. Hell, it even lampshaded its own stupidity on a regular basis. 

Which is true..... BUT. And it 's a big but.

The kind of shit writing that anime fans found acceptable in the late 80's and early 90's doesn't fly anymore. What was bad yet charming back then is just plain awful and hackneyed now.

Instead of upping their game and fixing issues that plagued DBZ, they actually made them worse. Bad animation? Well here's worse animation. Lack of consequences? Well now entire universes being destroyed has no consequence. Beat that!

Power levels and scaling were inconsistent? Well here's Krillin fighting on equal terms vs SSB Goku. 

Remember that in Super Gohan the genius has to be reminded that they can use the dragonballs to bring people back to life. To which he responds "Oh yeah".

At the end of DBZ Vegeta has a big moment where he finally admits that Goku is better than him, so he can finally stop trying to become the better warrior. Super pisses on that and Vegeta is right back to trying to be the best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elfie said:

You might want to try reading your own links.  In the source story for the first link, The Hollywood Reporter talks about various figures all accusing each other taking advantage of Stan Lee and being horrible people, whilst Stan Lee's daughter, J.C., was accused of physically assaulting her father and mother.  But then Stan Lee made videos (embedded at the bottom of this article) denying the issues with his daughter, and this Keya Morgan person who the other members of the inner circle accused of being a bad actor.  It's a total clusterfuck and who knows what was really going on.  I am more likely to take the word of Lee himself, though.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/stan-lee-needs-a-hero-elder-abuse-claims-a-battle-aging-marvel-creator-1101229

But, at the very least, it's been proven that Stan Lee's daughter is batshit insane -

Between the departures of Olivarez and Anderson, Lee's then-attorney Lallas was in charge.  Stan may have been his client, but J.C. had a hand in choosing him, as she made clear in nearly 60 voicemails she left him around the clock from mid-January through mid-February.

The voicemails, whose transcriptions were reviewed by THR, portray J.C.'s souring on her relationship with the lawyer as she comes to the conclusion that he can't be trusted to advance her interests.  They also give an unvarnished view of the battle unfolding over her father.  Her anxious, suspicious, overwhelmed thoughts range from the megalomaniacal ("I wish that one day Marvel would be mine") to the potential upside of Lee fathering Sanchez's child.  "The thing I want more than anything is a baby," she confesses. "It would be a great end to the story.  And, you know, she doesn't get the baby, she doesn't get anything, but her bills paid."

J.C. repeatedly expresses concern for "Daddy," albeit often within financial terms ("I don't want to be in a trailer park, and I don't want my father in a trailer park").  She is hyper alert to the prospect of elder abuse taking place against Lee and is apparently aware that word had spread of the 2014 physical assault allegation against her.  "This really did never, ever happen," she says.  "Total lie."  She reminds Lallas again and again that she's "not crazy — it's a crazy situation," adding that she wishes she had some "backup: a brother, a nephew, anyone" to navigate the complex dynamics at hand.

So that's probably why she didn't hear from Marvel or Disney.  I wouldn't take anything she says seriously.  And I don't see any indication or proof of any of the things she claimed that Marvel and Disney were doing to Stan Lee or his creations, or why Sony would be better than them.

And I still have no idea what any of this has to do with Dragon Ball or Akira Toriyama.

Edited by ben0119