UnevenEdge

Any one else likes to watch shows w/ the CC subs and Eng dub to see the difference in translation?

Lytbryt

I sometimes do that if a character's dub lines are hard to understand, just to get a feel for what they were saying.

Probably the most interesting difference I spotted, regardless of circumstance, was Is This a Zombie? Of the Dead 5. Ayumu sees Haruka and Eu sleeping together in his bed - more cute than sexy, really. While Japanese Ayumu asks himself why they're sleeping together, English Ayumu says to himself "I'll admit, this is actually kinda hot." :D

And while I've never done it, I'm sure watching Japanese Ghost Stories with the dubtitles is sure to be a trip.

• Like 1

I used to do this when I had subtitles on by default because some shows are far too quiet, but it would mess me up when the dub script is completely different from the English translation. My mind would automatically get cross-eyed if I heard "Well that sounds goshdarn silly!" when the subtitles "That can't be correct!" appear on the screen.

I always did this until BDs started locking out subs with the dubs, which makes no sense at all.  Why would having English subs with English dubs affect reverse importation in any way?

It is always jarring when the subs say "No!" and you can clearly hear a "Hai!" in the Japanese track, because of the way the question was asked.

One of the biggest differences I can recall now was in FMA when Mustang is talking to Hoenheim on the porch.  What he says in English makes no sense, and is very different from what he says in Japanese.  They're not even talking about the same topic. I wish I could remember it exactly, but it's been years since I've watched it, so nope.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 11:16 PM, Gina Szanboti said:

I always did this until BDs started locking out subs with the dubs, which makes no sense at all.  Why would having English subs with English dubs affect reverse importation in any way?

Yeah, that drives me crazy. There's really no good reason for it, other than sheer laziness to not include the option in the menu. I always watch stuff with the subtitles or captions on, even with English language TV shows or movies to be able to follow the dialogue better. I personaly don't have any problem reading and hearing at the same time, so I find it helps me not miss anything being said. With anime it's a little different obviously, but I find it still helps me figure out parts of the dub dialogue that are difficult to make out some times, but I mainly do it to compare the translations. I think dubs for the most part are pretty decent nowadays though at not changing much of anything too drastically, but there's some older ones that were pretty awful. The ones that always leap to my mind are Guin Saga and the second season of Those Who Hunt Elves.