UnevenEdge

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 Episode 7 Discussion

StarPanda

Probably, just can't see anyone calling anybody a spacenoid or any other kind of noid.  I could see people simply calling them "colonists."

on the one hand, I can see your point, but they definitely wouldn't call them something so formal and simultaneously validating and dismissive as "colonists". not in normal conversation. they'd still make up their own word and it would likely sounds just as absurd to your ear as "spacenoids" does. spacelings or somehting more akin to that

on the one hand, I can see your point, but they definitely wouldn't call them something so formal and simultaneously validating and dismissive as "colonists". not in normal conversation. they'd still make up their own word and it would likely sounds just as absurd to your ear as "spacenoids" does. spacelings or somehting more akin to that

"Simultaneously validating and dismissive?"  Man, you're reading way too much into this.  What, I'm not sure.  I mean, we still call immigrants immigrants.  Can't really think why people would come up with some new nonsense word for no reason.  These people would basically be space emigrants.  Probably too clunky, so it'd just be shortened to emigrants, most likely.

Can't really chalk this up to anything than the show being Japanese and the creators not realizing how ridiculous stuff like "Spacenoids," "Banagher," and "Full Frontal" sounds in other languages.

"Simultaneously validating and dismissive?"  Man, you're reading way too much into this.  What, I'm not sure.  I mean, we still call immigrants immigrants.  Can't really think why people would come up with some new nonsense word for no reason.  These people would basically be space emigrants.  Probably too clunky, so it'd just be shortened to emigrants, most likely.

Can't really chalk this up to anything than the show being Japanese and the creators not realizing how ridiculous stuff like "Spacenoids," "Banagher," and "Full Frontal" sounds in other languages.

Yeah I agree.  They could have came up with better labels.  Maybe they were badly translated (?).