UnevenEdge

im finally telling my university why i dropped out so many years ago

🍬Candy🍬

i signed up for a class, completely lost it. . and wasnt able to unregister myself i was so out of it.. .

this was 2007 and im finally letting them know what happened in hopes for appeal so i can get those credits when i go to get my bachelors in finance

wish me luck

if they dont forgive it, i will just fucking pay the balance.. ugh ... lol

1 hour ago, That_One_Guy said:

Best of luck. I hope it goes your way!

what do you think? this is the letter i wrote. Would you forgive my balance??

Dear Student Accounts of CSU,

I am writing a letter of appeal of my balance that is currently on file at CSU from Spring 2007.  The purpose of this letter is to describe the reasons I believe my that all or at least a large portion of my debt with CSU should be forgiven. I will try to be as brief as possible for I realize you may be busy.

In the year of 2000, I was admitted to MUSC psychiatric ward after a traumatic reaction to medication I was on for severe depression. I was then diagnosed as bipolar. Because of the intense adverse reaction and weeks of hospitalization, I decided after many failed attempts, to stop taking medication for illness.  I also did not seek any treatment in kind for the illness.

Fast forward to 2005 I attended CSU and had a successful first semester. I had good grades in all classes. But going into 2006 my mental health begun to seriously decline. I felt extremely exhausted and loss all my abilities to concentrate and my schoolwork was impacted greatly. I recall pulling out of my classes, if I did not fail them altogether.

I tried to continue my education and I faintly remember signing up for a class but then I got sicker and was incapable of pulling myself together to cancel the class – simple tasks are extremely difficult when you are very depressed and I just did not have the energy or decision making capabilities to unregister myself for the class and it caused me to have an outstanding balance ever since.

I know this was my irresponsibility, but I had very little control over my actions and no support at school or home. I also was ashamed of my mental illness and could not seek the help I needed.

I am now medicated and feeling much better these days and that’s why after all this time I am attempting to set my affairs right. I understand if CSU deems me responsible, but I am pleading that if you can not forgive all, please forgive some portion of the debt for I am now a single mother and need all the assistance I can get. I need to go back to school and get a degree so I can better provide for my child’s future. Maybe one day she can also attend your amazing university.

Thanks for all your considerations.

Good luck, but why should they? It would seem that they'd need more proof than just a sad letter from you - if that worked, everybody would write one.

It's not that your claim is bogus, it's that you had pretty much entered a contract, and contracts usually have pretty specific terms for release. (They're also often time related.) If I were somebody in the finance office, I'd want something else, like a doctor's letter corroborating your statement. But that's just me - maybe they'll  be willing to negotiate .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mthor said:

Good luck, but why should they? It would seem that they'd need more proof than just a sad letter from you - if that worked, everybody would write one.

It's not that your claim is bogus, it's that you had pretty much entered a contract, and contracts usually have pretty specific terms for release. (They're also often time related.) If I were somebody in the finance office, I'd want something else, like a doctor's letter corroborating your statement. But that's just me - maybe they'll  be willing to negotiate .

theres a health care provider form that i gotta get filled out, too

Well, assuming you were in good standing up to that point (meaning all paid up), you might have a leg to stand on.  It depends on some things - like how full the class was at registration and whether or not it was part of a degree track.  They wouldn't have much of an incentive to let it go if they thought you took the class spot from someone else who needed it and was unable to enroll.

6 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Well, assuming you were in good standing up to that point (meaning all paid up), you might have a leg to stand on.  It depends on some things - like how full the class was at registration and whether or not it was part of a degree track.  They wouldn't have much of an incentive to let it go if they thought you took the class spot from someone else who needed it and was unable to enroll.

i did it again recently at another school and got it forgiven WITHOUT using any health issue as an excuse.. Just said i couldnt pay it LOL.. So im optimistic - but that wasnt as an expensive school so i dunno

9 minutes ago, 🍬Candy🍬 said:

i did it again recently at another school and got it forgiven WITHOUT using any health issue as an excuse.. Just said i couldnt pay it LOL.. So im optimistic - but that wasnt as an expensive school so i dunno

I don't think your ability to pay has any bearing on whether or not they will forgive it.  Even if you were bankrupt, they'd just file a claim and cut their losses.

• Like 1
  • D'oh 1

2 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

I don't think your ability to pay has any bearing on whether or not they will forgive it.  Even if you were bankrupt, they'd just file a claim and cut their losses.

its like you cant read. i told my last college i couldnt pay and they waived the outstanding balance. do. you. understand. the. words. that. are. typing. out. of. my. fingers.

• D'oh 1

2 hours ago, 🍬Candy🍬 said:

what do you think? this is the letter i wrote. Would you forgive my balance??

Dear Student Accounts of CSU,

I am writing a letter of appeal of my balance that is currently on file at CSU from Spring 2007.  The purpose of this letter is to describe the reasons I believe my that all or at least a large portion of my debt with CSU should be forgiven. I will try to be as brief as possible for I realize you may be busy understand how valuable your time is.

In the year of 2000, I was admitted to MUSC psychiatric ward after a traumatic reaction to medication I was on for severe depression. I was then diagnosed as bipolar. Because of the intense adverse reaction and weeks of hospitalization, I decided after many failed attempts, to stop taking medication for illness.  I also did not seek any treatment in kind for the illness.

Fast forward to 2005 I attended CSU and had a successful first semester. I had good grades in all classes. But going into 2006 Unfortunately my mental health begun began to seriously decline within the second and third trimester in 2006. I felt extremely exhausted and loss all my abilities to concentrate and my schoolwork was impacted greatly. I recall pulling out of my classes, if I did not fail them altogether.

I tried to continue my education and I faintly remember signing up for a class but then I got sicker  my illness escalated and I was incapable of pulling myself together to cancel the class – simple tasks are extremely difficult when you are very suffering from deep depressedion and I just did not have the energy or decision making capabilities to unregister myself for from the class and it caused me to have which then resulted in an outstanding balance ever since.

I know this was my irresponsibility, but I had no support at school or at home and very little control over my actions and no support at school or home. I also was ashamed of my mental illness and could not seek the help I needed.

I am now properly medicated and feeling much better these days. and that’s why It is for this reason that after all this time I am attempting to set my affairs right in order. I understand if CSU deems me responsible, but I am pleading that if you can not forgive all, please forgive some portion of the debt for I am now a single mother and need all the assistance I can get. I need to go back to school and get a degree so I can better provide for my child’s future. Maybe one day she can also attend your amazing university.

Thanks for all your considerations.

I thought it was good.

I couldn't help myself with the revisions, just ignore them.

Edited by Vela
  • Haha 1