UnevenEdge

Attack On Titan Episode #52 (315) Discussion!!

Those dumbasses got caught in the explosion.  Weren't they told to stay back, or have the sense to do so?

Anyway, if Hange is really dead, that's a pretty big blow.  No one can replace her expertise.

Now is the time, Armin!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OSC said:

Marco? Oh. Never mind. This is a flashback. I'm an idiot.

This only makes it somewhat more tragic that Toonami couldn't get to Episode 13 during the 2019 Season 1 rerun!

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/attack-on-titan/episode-52/.146652

Seriously? Just 2.5 stars out of 5? What complete nonsense!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

Honestly, I don't understand how Bertholdt's ear getting sliced off didn't cause him to transform then and there.

Also, WHY did Bertholdt explode like a nuclear bomb when he transformed THIS time? After all, we have seen him transform WITHOUT that happening...

Perhaps the two phenomena are related somehow?

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Honestly, I don't understand how Bertholdt's ear getting sliced off didn't cause him to transform then and there.

Also, WHY did Bertholdt explode like a nuclear bomb when he transformed THIS time? After all, we have seen him transform WITHOUT that happening...

Perhaps the two phenomena are related somehow?

Just theorizing since I have no idea, since I'm waiting for Toonami for these eps, so I haven't seen beyond this episode:

I'm wondering if Reiner's group are just good enough at using these powers to hold back the transformation, if they want to?
And if so perhaps that may be why he didn't transform just because he got his ear cut off? 

The other times they've been hurt and transformed have been moments where we know they've purposefully wanted to transform, like on the wall when Reiner revealed that they were the Armored and Colossal of a sudden and then Mikasa attacked and they transformed from those wounds (and we know one thing that can effect the transformation is the users intentions at the moment they get cut/cut themselves, from Hange's theories about Eren, like from that old incident with the spoon). I think it's possible, since we know Reiner, Bertholdt, etc. seem pretty strongly trained in using these powers and like Armin said their side clearly know a lot more about all of this than our group does. So maybe Bertholdt chose to hold off the transformation and break off from continuing to fight since he knew he wasn't in position. Since him transforming where he did seemed to be him returning to the plan, since it looked like he originally intended to trigger the transformation from inside the barrel when he was thrown by the Beast Titan.

I like your theory about the two possibly being related, I think you may be onto something:

The two possibilities I'm thinking for the extra powerful explosion are maybe:

1) On the one hand I think it's possible it went off like a nuke this time because Bertholdt transformed high up in the air this time. All the other times so far we've seen them transforming while standing on ground or on the wall so maybe being on the ground deadened the blast? And Bertholdt's is probably the biggest blast being the Colossal?

2) Or like you suggest, if the two phenomena are connected, maybe Bertholdt was able to do it consciously when triggering the transformation? Since we've seen he can give off a ridiculous amount of heat, maybe he can do something like that during the transformation process as well to give off a bigger blast?

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Thanks 3

On 6/8/2019 at 11:36 PM, Roymustang1990 said:

This hasn't been shown before for sure

That reminds me, felt like they did a really good job showing Annie's seemingly been losing herself in the mission too. Both in saving Connie as mentioned in the show, her facial expressions, and also how it felt like she was especially pissed with Reiner and Bertholdt when she yelled at them for being so stupid and careless, so as to talk out in the open, causing this whole situation where she even has to make the choice to help them leave Marco to die in the first place.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 1