UnevenEdge

DeMarco addresses framerate issue with recent episodes of Dragon Ball Super

I'm fairly certain this was an issue not just with the Toonami premieres but with the reruns as well, so I predict to address this, they'll ultimately make the 8/31 block a marathon of Dragon Ball Super, and begin the marathon with the Jiren fight. It's Dragon Ball Super, so it will likely run all night!

Guest Bucket

Why do so many autistic people point out low-quality background art/design and insist that for the animation to be "good" even tertiary characters need to move like fucking motion capture and look like the Mona Lisa?
"

Guest Bucket

It's just such a common complaint I run across, and it has literally never bothered me. 

The CGI-crowd shots in ep. 1 meme is something I can actually understand the frustration behind.

43 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

To be fair, ASD people are probably a large chunk of Toonami's viewership.

This is true.

However, whiny Twits are also a sizable chunk of Toonami's viewership, so it might well be DeMarco doing some preemptive damage control before the weaponized stupid drags Toonami for no good reason. It is kind of annoying honestly, particularly when there are plenty of good reasons to drag Toonami.

• Like 1
  • D'oh 1

3 hours ago, Bucket said:

Why do so many autistic people point out low-quality background art/design and insist that for the animation to be "good" even tertiary characters need to move like fucking motion capture and look like the Mona Lisa?
"

I mean who REALLY knows except for Toei if that animation was intentional?? Maybe that's HOW THEY ANIMATED IT! I mean it sounds like everyone is asking DeMarco to look into what amounts to Toei's INCOMPETENT ANIMATION!

• D'oh 1

3 hours ago, elfie said:

I mean who REALLY knows except for Toei if that animation was intentional?? Maybe that's HOW THEY ANIMATED IT! I mean it sounds like everyone is asking DeMarco to look into what amounts to Toei's INCOMPETENT ANIMATION!

Uh everyone? Cuz the sub came out like a year ago?

I was watching it like...hmm...I don't remember it looking this shitty when I saw it the first time. Weird!

As usual Toonami found a way to completely fuck up something basic.

• Haha 2

But how the hell could they do that so sporadically. The choppy animation only happened AT RANDOM, in several isolated shots that where each separated by several more shots between them! i can't think of any glitch that could be responsible! The only way it could happen is if someone INTENTIONALLY went in and messed up the animation before Toonami's broadcast!

Edited by elfie

1 hour ago, Bucket said:

Unusually high attention to detail.

It's quite interesting that there are really only two fandoms that have these sorts of issues with their programs: Game of Thrones fans, and Toonami fans. Everyone else just seems to go with it.

From what I understand, there are some prefectures of Japan that can only air a toned-down version of the show less likely to cause epileptic seisures, and that's what we've been getting lately on Toonami for some crazy reason.

9 hours ago, elfie said:

Um.

.... i  just ...

... isn't ... that .... the way it's animated?

sadly no, something is wrong with the prints Funimation was given to dub, they weren't animated that way when they aired in Japan

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

It's quite interesting that there are really only two fandoms that have these sorts of issues with their programs: Game of Thrones fans, and Toonami fans. Everyone else just seems to go with it.

From what I understand, there are some prefectures of Japan that can only air a toned-down version of the show less likely to cause epileptic seisures, and that's what we've been getting lately on Toonami for some crazy reason.

Sonic fans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, elfie said:

I mean we know that anime studio cut corners all the time, so I had no reason to assume there was something wrong.

It's definitely within TOEI's power to be that horrible so I didn't really question it at first even though I saw it subbed when it aired.

When something like this happens don't you worry, they'll fix it on the DVD!  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, viperxmns said:

Thread>

Tldr DBS was edited due to this but they tested slowing down frames to 2 sec instead of 1 as a compromise so it won't look as weird

Oh. You JUST ninja'd me 15 minutes ago!!

... so it failed the Harding Test.  Which means it was the JAPANESE studios' INTENTIONAL move to edit out frames of the episodes. And it was NOT a mistake!

Which still puzzles me. I sat through all episodes so far and never once did I fall over on the floor in a seizure.

• Like 1

Ok, I'm posting the whole thread:

LORD DEATH DEMARCO @Clarknova1

#toonami and #DragonBallSuper fans, an update on last week’s slowdown of action scenes. Here goes:
SO. Remember the Pokémon flashing episode that triggered a bunch of epileptic episodes in viewers? Since then, TV networks have something called the “Harding Test.”

Every show, commercial, etc is run through this test to make sure it doesn’t have flashing frames that could trigger folks with epilepsy. The last few eps of DBS have had fight scenes that are cut to about one frame per edit in some places- they evidently fail the Harding Test.

Our program edit folks, who do these tests, normally just slow the cuts down in these scenes to about four frames per second. In the case of these DBS eps, it made the fight scenes look insanely slow. Program edit does this routinely, so they didn’t even think to notify us.

Thanks to you fans who let me know, we asked program edit if there was any way they could slow these scenes down LESS. So from now on, they will he slowed (if they fail the test) to two frames a second, down from one. We tested it and it looks WAY better.

Anyway, that’s the best we can do because obviously, we don’t want to be causing people to have epileptic episodes. Thanks to all of you who let us know what was going on, and hopefully we have nipped the worst of this in the bud for the future.

👍🏼

Enjoy DBS tomorrow!

#OnlyToonami

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Sad 1

When I first saw this headline... I was like... how is Demarco responsible for Super's quality? :D

At first when I saw those scenes, I thought it was just shitty animation or some intentional style choice that I didn't quite get.

You had one job, Demarco!  ONE JOB!

Except, no...

This whole epilepsy thing?  Maybe if you have epilepsy, you shouldn't be watching something like DBZ anyway?  There's always tons of bright lights and fast action.  I always remember reading that warning on the old SEGA Genesis manuals.  I figured if you had epilepsy, you couldn't play videogames, which would suck.  Are the episodes like this online or disc release?  Don't remember anything like this ever happening before.  There was the banned Pokemon episode, but that was it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, OwlChemist81 said:

What really needs to happen is Toonami needs to add an epileptic seizure warning to the start of each hour in which that could be a problem, specifically, the MHA/DBS hour!

Yep!

And did they really have to slow it down THAT fucking much?  That's fucking overkill!

And of course, Demarco with the ole blah blah blah this is routine Program edit didn't think to tell us... classic left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing, caught with their pants down, incompetence, like we've seen many times before.  Remember when they didn't know the InuYasha contract was expiring?

• Like 1