UnevenEdge

link's awakening

Distortedreasoning

just revealed yesterday at the nintendo direct. the animation trailer got me all hyped up and the revealed some gameplay footage. i'll be honest i wasnt a big fan of the art style in a link between two worlds and this looks like an hd update of that. with that said this does look nice and i will be getting this game day one.

5 hours ago, Ric said:

I'll be getting this and Super Mario Maker 2 for sure. Also interested in that Platinum game but not completely sold on it yet.

yeah im most likely getting that too. lots of good games coming out and it feels like they still gonna reveal more at e3. daemon x is looking like its coming along really well. 

out of that whole direct i was most wowed by astral chain

32 minutes ago, Admin_Raptorpat said:

something like that would have made more sense, seems like a logical 3DS remake really (or they already had a lot of visual assets from ALBW they could have reused)

the art style i think is what made it stand out to me though instead of just an 'ok whatever'

i think it's that one. but maybe not for a particular zelda title in mind but just as a pre development thing they do when making a new zelda. i think these assets came from when they where making breath of the wild. there were probably a bunch of ideas being thrown around. 

23 minutes ago, Zenigundam said:

I just saw the trailer for the remake on my Nintendo News feed, and those graphics are so bad! They made it look like Roblox or Minecraft, I'd much rather play my B&W GB copy over that! But mine is really old and freezes, so I need to replace it. 

that was my initial impressions, it doesn't look very distinct from the other zelda clones. where would you rank links awakening among the rest of the other zelda franchise? 

48 minutes ago, Distortedreasoning said:

that was my initial impressions, it doesn't look very distinct from the other zelda clones. where would you rank links awakening among the rest of the other zelda franchise? 

Link's Awakening was my first Zelda game, but it's hard to say because all of the 2D ones are excellent and I don't think it's fair to compare them to the 3D Zelda games.

21 hours ago, Distortedreasoning said:

actually agree with that. both 2d and 3d zelda games are different enough for direct comparisons. 

i dunno, i finally played ALttP for the first time a couple years ago when club nintendo shut down and we got all the download codes, and I played through it and was like 'yup, this is zelda' because literally every single main game in the series subsequent until maybe skyward sword followed that exact formula.

14 hours ago, Admin_Raptorpat said:

i dunno, i finally played ALttP for the first time a couple years ago when club nintendo shut down and we got all the download codes, and I played through it and was like 'yup, this is zelda' because literally every single main game in the series subsequent until maybe skyward sword followed that exact formula.

the change of perspective from top down isometric to 3rd person 3d changes everything. sure youre doing a lot of the same things because they share similar elements, but just take a look at combat. even in the most simplest of the 3d zelda games, combat is very different than the way it was on the 2d zelda games.

i mean, yeah, the literal actions you are doing are different because it's a larger and 3D environment with more things fit into it, but i did not realize how much the skeleton structure of the game copied over from LttP to OoT. it's like plagiarizing an essay you wrote in as a freshman for your senior thesis.

5 hours ago, Admin_Raptorpat said:

i mean, yeah, the literal actions you are doing are different because it's a larger and 3D environment with more things fit into it, but i did not realize how much the skeleton structure of the game copied over from LttP to OoT. it's like plagiarizing an essay you wrote in as a freshman for your senior thesis.

but we are talking about gameplay differences here. sure we can say 3d zelda follows a similar formula or even borrows many elements from 2d zelda. but the way you play 3d zelda is different than 2d zelda. just like with 2d mario and 3d mario is different. or even 2d sonic and 3d sonic. 

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Admin_Raptorpat said:

If there really isn't any new content, full price seems kinda steep for anyone who has played the game more recently than fifteen years ago.

the only new content appears to be a dungeon maker and that's basically it....

yet this somehow won best upcoming switch game at gamescom and is already racking in pre-purchases on the eshop

3 minutes ago, Distortedreasoning said:

im getting it on launch day. just not sure if i wanna play the original again before this comes out. i only played though it once and it was a very long time ago. 

I wouldn't, but that's me. Playing through the original so close before release might make the new game feel repetitive.

On 8/30/2019 at 10:54 PM, Admin_Raptorpat said:

I mean... they released super mario galaxy and a new super mario bros on the same console and that's basically the same duality, as far as I'm concerned

not really....we're comparing that to Releasing A Handheld zelda and a console zelda

this is pretty much A Gameboy zelda remade into a switch game but still having about as much content as that gameboy game

18 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

not really....we're comparing that to Releasing A Handheld zelda and a console zelda

this is pretty much A Gameboy zelda remade into a switch game but still having about as much content as that gameboy game

i half agree with her. while i do believe $60 is a bit overpriced for a remake, that's almost the market price of the console zelda remakes/remasters iirc. winda waker hd and twilight princess hd both were $60 at release. the 3ds remakes of the n64 zelda titles were also expensive imo, both going for $40 which was max price for 3ds games. even if you look outside of zelda,  resident evil 2 remake went for $60 and that game you had to pay extra for its additional content. 

now as far as what she says when comparing it to breath of the wild, i have to disagree. top down zelda games are much different games and really cant draw comparisons between the two. botw is even different enough from all the previous 3d zeldas to even make comparisons with those. 

11 hours ago, Admin_Raptorpat said:

It's almost like comparing a Super Mario Galaxy to a New Super Mario Bros.

yeah, LA should really be compared more to the over the top action/adventure games like all the 2d zeldas. im not sure about any of the newer games in the genre, since i really cant think of many that are out there. hell the last one i can remember was a link between worlds.

the existence of botw should not turn people off away from this remake either. this game isnt short by any means, i think ric is right it was somewhere between 15-20 hours at a normal pace. 

Edited by Distortedreasoning

regardless when the only brand new thing you have to offer is A Lackluster dungeon maker that you can't even share with friends without using an amiibo to transfer dungeons to them

it feels like a big nostalgia grab...

you keep bringing up games that were on the same system from the get go where as Links Awakening originally was a gameboy game and a lot of how it works and plays was due in part to the limitations of that system

even with QOL Changes applied it cannot escape the fact that at it's core it's still very much a gameboy game with many things that stemmed from that

Edited by CountFrylock

21 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

regardless when the only brand new thing you have to offer is A Lackluster dungeon maker that you can't even share with friends without using an amiibo to transfer dungeons to them

it feels like a big nostalgia grab...

you keep bringing up games that were on the same system from the get go where as Links Awakening originally was a gameboy game and a lot of how it works and plays was due in part to the limitations of that system

even with QOL Changes applied it cannot escape the fact that at it's core it's still very much a gameboy game with many things that stemmed from that

again you gotta look at how nintendo usually handles their zelda remakes. they do like 1-2 zelda games a year. whether they come in the form of a re-make like links awakening or a side game like hyrule warriors, zelda is a money maker. so if you feel that this is a money maker then yes, i agree. 

thats why i also said $60 feels a bit high. but with remakes you really dont want to mess with them too much outside of updating the graphics and music. i mean what other updates would you be wanting to see outside of qol, graphics, and music? 

not a full review but well there you go. plays almost exactly the same as the gb original. just with some updates that dont really change the way you play this. is the new fresh paint of coat and updated ascetics and music worth the price?

i've said it before but while the graphics do have a very charming look, i still would have preferred this game be in 2d. im also a big fan of the gameboys chip tunes sound but they did a good job with new instrumentals. the biggest knock of this review was how it drops to 30fps when you enter a new area? i could probably overlook that.