UnevenEdge

So I recently rewatched Evangelion

scope

And I forgot to look for the director's cut for the last few episodes, still enjoyed it and I remember that Asuka bath scene anyway

Spoiler

Where she's basically saying she hates everything.

Oh well I mostly remember it and was still an awesome revisit despite slightly feeling like I missed out....weeb probs.

On 11/4/2018 at 10:25 PM, scope said:

And I forgot to look for the director's cut for the last few episodes, still enjoyed it and I remember that Asuka bath scene anyway

Reveal hidden contents

Where she's basically saying she hates everything.

Oh well I mostly remember it and was still an awesome revisit despite slightly feeling like I missed out....weeb probs.

you mean the bath scene where

Spoiler

she might have popped open a vein

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

The Shikinami edition of Asuka from the Rebuild movies wasn't as in-your-face German as the OG Sohryu Asuka was, that's what I'm saying. It actually made her more tolerable.

In what way?  

For me, OG Asuka's bitchiness and attitude were an essential part of her character, they were a way of masking her extreme inferiority complex and self loathing.  Unlike Shinji (who internalizes), she externalizes her feelings.  She is desperate for love and affection from others but doesn't want to lower her emotional walls to let anyone else in.  She lashes out and projects her rage and pain onto others (especially Shinji and Rei, who both embody things she hates about herself).   She's ambitious, arrogant, and desperate for external validation because fundamentally, she can't see any inherent value in herself as a person.  Her foreignness just emphasizes her feelings of isolation and being an outsider.  

Asuka was indeed intolerable and not a pleasant person AT ALL, but I don't think she was ever supposed to be.  I felt like I could strongly relate to some of her emotional issues when I first watched this show when I was younger, though.  I had not yet seen a character like her, or one whose character flaws were explored in such a way.  And actually, this is something more recent shows with Rei and Asuka clones get wrong --- they are just generic tsunderes and moeblobs, completely missing the point that in NGE, these were NOT portrayed as positive personality traits! 

2 minutes ago, Winter_Rain said:

In what way? 

Nothing concrete, really. I just find what I remember of Asuka from 2.22 (which I only last saw five years ago) less annoying than the Asuka I've witnessed now on my current watch. Though if you're looking for a reason, you could say it was the quality of the old ADV dub combined with the gratuitous German phrases and exclamations that shaped that opinion to a fuller form, or something. I really suck with words when I'm put on the spot like this... -_-