UnevenEdge

tsar4's doma has a new resident

tsar4

Sprung from her long term incarceration at the shelter - 9 yr old "Daphne" - black feline with brown/gold eyes.  I'm guessing a Bombay mix.  She had been adopted and returned in really bad shape - loaded with fleas, having a bad tooth, ears filled with crud.  Hid from everyone under her towel.  When I brought her home, she wouldn't come out.  Today, she was asleep on my lap.  Still have 11 days before I can bring her into the rest of the house to meet Nicodemus.

Sprung from her long term incarceration at the shelter - 9 yr old "Daphne" - black feline with brown/gold eyes.  I'm guessing a Bombay mix.  She had been adopted and returned in really bad shape - loaded with fleas, having a bad tooth, ears filled with crud.  Hid from everyone under her towel.  When I brought her home, she wouldn't come out.  Today, she was asleep on my lap.  Still have 11 days before I can bring her into the rest of the house to meet Nicodemus.

Wow they just let you adopt kid straight from juvenile hall now?

Most shelters have an abundance of black cats - a lot of people are afraid of them and others don't qualify because they intend to adopt them just to do them harm.  The first one I adopted in Chicago, they wanted a couple references.  I also go after the older ones, people want kittens or young cats.

There were a few with "special needs", but having taken care of a couple that developed those needs, I needed a break from that & I can't be home 24/7.  Giving a cat an IV twice a day or forcing pureed food down their throat with a syringe when you know you're only prolonging the inevitable is tough.

Most shelters have an abundance of black cats - a lot of people are afraid of them and others don't qualify because they intend to adopt them just to do them harm.  The first one I adopted in Chicago, they wanted a couple references.  I also go after the older ones, people want kittens or young cats.

There were a few with "special needs", but having taken care of a couple that developed those needs, I needed a break from that & I can't be home 24/7.  Giving a cat an IV twice a day or forcing pureed food down their throat with a syringe when you know you're only prolonging the inevitable is tough.

Having to care for an aging cat is just the worst.  I mean, I do it without complaints, but it's gut wrenching watching someone die of old age or terminal disease and being helpless to stop it.  I think you've earned the right to take a break from that, but it's still commendable that you would consider an special needs pet in the first place.