UnevenEdge

Dragon Ball Super Episode 68 Discussion

On 6/24/2018 at 7:18 PM, Blatch said:

Everyone I know thinks the Arale episode is one of the best of the series... no irony. Of course, it's even better if you've actually watched/read Dr. Slump, so I'm expecting blank stares from most Toonami fans.

Also, I would recommend that everyone put their Vegeta boners away for as long as this show isn't in serious territory. These episodes are funny, and if one character getting shat on is part of what makes them so great, then so be it. All of you, show some humility for once.

So basically ban Mochi from the thread?

• Haha 1

On 6/24/2018 at 5:46 PM, OwlChemist81 said:

So this girl's name is Arale, huh??

I thought it was Yurin, but apparently it's not time for her yet...

ANN's reviewer gave this campy episode a C+, but, mild spoiler, and quite a shocker: toward the end of the review; it turns out Arale is actually a CROSSOVER character!!

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/dragon-ball-super/episode-68/.109270

The anime she comes from is another Toei show, and one I've never even heard of before: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=971

Seriously?  Arale and her "world" appeared in a whole segment of the Red Ribbon Army Saga in Dragon Ball.  Even if you've never seen Dr. Slump you should know who Arale is.

• Thanks 1

On 6/24/2018 at 7:18 PM, Blatch said:

Everyone I know thinks the Arale episode is one of the best of the series... no irony. Of course, it's even better if you've actually watched/read Dr. Slump, so I'm expecting blank stares from most Toonami fans.

Also, I would recommend that everyone put their Vegeta boners away for as long as this show isn't in serious territory. These episodes are funny, and if one character getting shat on is part of what makes them so great, then so be it. All of you, show some humility for once.

Never saw Dr. Slump or read the manga.  Probably when I would've had the inclination to back when I first saw that arc in Dragon Ball, it wasn't available or I didn't know how to.  Toriyama's humor is pretty funny, so I should check it out.

Sticks need to be removed from asses.

On 6/24/2018 at 5:35 PM, Daos said:

This episode takes place long after the start of Super. There's no way they can make it work in the timeline now. I'd chalk it up as non Canon like GT.

What do you mean it can't work with the timeline?

5 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Seriously?  Arale and her "world" appeared in a whole segment of the Red Ribbon Army Saga in Dragon Ball.  Even if you've never seen Dr. Slump you should know who Arale is.

I must have missed those episodes, sadly. If they aired in 2002, I was kinda hit or miss. I THOUGHT I saw all of the Red Ribbon Army saga, but I missed the mainstay of the witch Baba saga. I DID end up catching the Bansho Fan saga/Cute Chi-Chi saga in 2003 though. And even if I did see it, that was 16 YEARS AGO and I doubt I had DVR so I most likely forgot it.

But my point remains valid that Vegeta, who showed up in Dragon Ball Z, would have no idea who the hell she is and would break the 4th wall to refer to her. It will, however, be interesting to see if GOKU remembers who she is, and we just can't tell that from the promos!

Edited by OwlChemist81

5 hours ago, ben0119 said:

What do you mean it can't work with the timeline?

Well first of all, the notion of Uub giving Goku even the slightest bit of a challenge even in his base form is already ridiculous, and will be even more so by the time Super finally ends.

Also, wouldn't it be slightly weird that no one in GT remembers any of the new Super Saiyan God forms? GT isn't Canon anymore. DELETED.

4 minutes ago, Daos said:

Well first of all, the notion of Uub giving Goku even the slightest bit of a challenge even in his base form is already ridiculous, and will be even more so by the time Super finally ends.

Also, wouldn't it be slightly weird that no one in GT remembers any of the new Super Saiyan God forms? GT isn't Canon anymore. DELETED.

You DO realize you're posting in the Super thread, right??

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

You DO realize you're posting in the Super thread, right??

No actually I thought he was referencing the end of Kai being non Canon in this thread, but he was talking about the Arale episode I think. 

Why would anyone even care about the Arale episode being canon or not? It's one episode.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2018 at 6:46 PM, OwlChemist81 said:

So this girl's name is Arale, huh??

I thought it was Yurin, but apparently it's not time for her yet...

ANN's reviewer gave this campy episode a C+, but, mild spoiler, and quite a shocker: toward the end of the review; it turns out Arale is actually a CROSSOVER character!!

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/dragon-ball-super/episode-68/.109270

The anime she comes from is another Toei show, and one I've never even heard of before: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=971

no Yurin shows up later

different character

19 hours ago, Meilag32 said:

So basically ban Mochi from the thread?

don't worry Meilag I hate that ep enough that I'm going to skip it entirely like the Binky episode

or all the Jar Jar Binks episode of that Star wars series from a couple years ago

On 6/26/2018 at 9:42 AM, OwlChemist81 said:

I must have missed those episodes, sadly. If they aired in 2002, I was kinda hit or miss. I THOUGHT I saw all of the Red Ribbon Army saga, but I missed the mainstay of the witch Baba saga. I DID end up catching the Bansho Fan saga/Cute Chi-Chi saga in 2003 though. And even if I did see it, that was 16 YEARS AGO and I doubt I had DVR so I most likely forgot it.

But my point remains valid that Vegeta, who showed up in Dragon Ball Z, would have no idea who the hell she is and would break the 4th wall to refer to her. It will, however, be interesting to see if GOKU remembers who she is, and we just can't tell that from the promos!

Well there are other ways to watch it besides TV.  If you did see it and just forgot though that's fair enough.

Yeah Vegeta has never met her before.  Hopefully Goku remembers her, heh.

On 6/26/2018 at 10:03 AM, Daos said:

That was because that was how powerful Uub was supposedly.  That's why Goku was so excited to fight him!  He is the reincarnation of Buu, after all, and as far as I know, the only reincarnated character in all of Dragon Ball, so that has to count for something.  But yeah plugging Super into the middle of that time skip is a bit of a tall order.

GT was never canon...

On 6/26/2018 at 10:15 AM, Daos said:

No actually I thought he was referencing the end of Kai being non Canon in this thread, but he was talking about the Arale episode I think. 

Why would anyone even care about the Arale episode being canon or not? It's one episode.

I was wondering what you were talking about. :P

I have no idea why anyone would care, but Mochi does apparently. :D

Edited by ben0119

3 hours ago, ben0119 said:

That was because that was how powerful Uub was supposedly.  That's why Goku was so excited to fight him!  He is the reincarnation of Buu, after all, and as far as I know, the only reincarnated character in all of Dragon Ball, so that has to count for something.  But yeah plugging Super into the middle of that time skip is a bit of a tall order.

GT was never canon...

No but I mean, Goku's base form got a huge boost from SSG. So if that final Kai episode actually took place AFTER Super then an untrained Uub would have been holding his own against a base form Goku that was way stronger than Kid Buu.

That's one of the many reasons why it wouldn't make any sense for that final Kai episode to be considered Canon anymore.

• StarPanda pinned and unpinned this topic
16 hours ago, Daos said:

No but I mean, Goku's base form got a huge boost from SSG. So if that final Kai episode actually took place AFTER Super then an untrained Uub would have been holding his own against a base form Goku that was way stronger than Kid Buu.

That's one of the many reasons why it wouldn't make any sense for that final Kai episode to be considered Canon anymore.

Well base Goku would've been very strong at that point even without Super.  Though how seriously was Goku taking that fight?  He did say one of the hits hurt him, and he thought Uub had enough potential to be worth training. 

But yeah probably hard for it to be canon?  Has Toei or Toriyama said anything about it?  It's kind of a major thing you would think.  Why didn't they just have Super take place after this time skip instead of before?

On 6/23/2018 at 9:34 PM, Sandstone said:

Bulma is so totally wrong, the point of science is to experiment in order to gain knowledge about the nature of the universe not to break the rules of reality. Wtf kind of stupid dialogue.

Umm, lots of people have called past scientific achievements "breaking the law of reality, playing god" etc...

On 6/23/2018 at 9:55 PM, Sandstone said:

I hate Whis' english voice. He sounds so much more fabulous and flamboyant in the original. In the dub he sounds like he's permanently on pain killers.

I dunno, he still sounds pretty gay to me.