UnevenEdge

RIP Isao Takahata

BUU8800

Dead at 82.

I saw his name trending on twitter a few minutes ago and figured it was either him pulling a Miyazaki and deciding to try and make another movie, or this, and unfortunately I knew he was in his 80s so I figured it was this. Funnily enough earlier today I was thinking again randomly about how I would never be able to bring myself to watch Grave of the Fireflies, which he directed. I know it's a masterpiece, but I just can't handle it. I watched In this Corner of the World earlier this year and that destroyed me enough. Couldn't imagine suffering through something somehow even more tragic than that.

I haven't seen all of his films, I haven't seen Fireflies as I mentioned, but also have yet to watch Princess Kaguya and probably others. I did watch two of his films earlier this year though, right around the time I watched In This Corner of the World. I watched Only Yesterday for the second time in my life and the first in over a decade and loved it. And I was delighted by My Neighbors the Yamadas, which I was watching for the first time. I've also seen Pom Poko before back in the day and enjoyed it quite a bit. And on the television front I've even seen some of the shows he worked on like  the first Lupin series. The man was a master who lived a long, productive life. And his work speaks for itself. Japan has lost a national treasure, rip.

Edited by BUU8800
  • Like 5

On 4/5/2018 at 8:22 PM, Ric said:

I found Grave of the Fireflies boring, not sad. That was quite some time ago though.

I found it more infuriating than sad or boring. The older brother pissed me off so much.

And the author's fucking explanation for his character made me angrier. "I'm going to apologize to my little sister for how badly I took care of her by making myself look a bit less shitty but still pretty shitty." >:(