UnevenEdge

Mobile Suit Gundam IBO Episode 46

1 minute ago, ben0119 said:

It seemed like Hush was going to be more of a character but was forgotten about.  Ditto for these two.

Have even seen this Derma kid before?

Yeah, definitely feel like something happened behind the scenes that changed their plans and whatever they originally had planned for Hush basically got dropped for the most part.

I have a feeling Shino's speech about Yamagi was more homophobic in Japanese

but I respect the dub for normalizing it

still tired of watching gay characters die every weekend on this show and am dropping it though

• Like 1

Just now, mochi said:

still tired of watching gay characters die every weekend on this show and am dropping it though

Well you only have 4 eps left.

The FOUNDER'S GUNDAM is losing?! :P

Someone actually could tell someone else liked them?  What kind of anime is this?!

So how was Julietta able to give Mika so much trouble?  I thought she modified herself... but apparently not?

Of course Rustal has some other fucking plan.

5 minutes ago, mochi said:

That's a pretty big assumption.

Dude it's Gundam no one is safe.

9 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

Hmmm. I've wondered about that but didn't they get attacked at the beginning of the season again to kick things off?

By that businessman that was pissed off because Kudelia wouldn't work with him.

Then after that we had stupid contrived war on Earth where all the Tekkadan members were acting like dumbasses.

1 minute ago, ben0119 said:

That's a pretty big assumption.

Dude it's Gundam no one is safe.

it's a safe one though because Japan

and I'm aware of that.....but......it's still homophobic that they created these characters, made them gay, and had every intention from the start to kill them all

one gay character death is okay if the others live, but like 5 gay or gay friendly characters dieing, nah....that's homophobic even if one managed to live

7 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

"You're already in my trap"

Rustal could be an even better antagonist but has shit way too easy. And schemer McGillis has all but disappeared.

It's pretty annoying.  And yeah McGillis' plans have gone to shit ever since he started his ill-conceived revolution. 

2 minutes ago, mochi said:

it's a safe one though because Japan

and I'm aware of that.....but......it's still homophobic that they created these characters, made them gay, and had every intention from the start to kill them all

one gay character death is okay if the others live, but like 5 gay or gay friendly characters dieing, nah....that's homophobic even if one managed to live

Tons of characters have died, not just gay ones.  It could be argued to be homophobic if gay character were spared dramatic, meaningful deaths that other characters had.  But really, you just seem impossible to please and are determined to bitch no matter what.

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

Yeah, definitely feel like something happened behind the scenes that changed their plans and whatever they originally had planned for Hush basically got dropped for the most part.

Yeah.  He was going to be Mikazuki's protoge it seemed but then he just fell off the map, haha.

8 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Tons of characters have died, not just gay ones.  It could be argued to be homophobic if gay character were spared dramatic, meaningful deaths that other characters had.  But really, you just seem impossible to please and are determined to bitch no matter what.

I admit I'm a tad too complaintative sometimes

but the "bury your gays" trope is a real and prevelant problem in fiction and I'm sick of seeing it, I would like to see a gay couple have a happy ending every so often, and I'm sick of seeing literally every gay character I get attatched to die

it wouldn't be a problem if there were more gay characters and more gay couples who survive to endgame, but as of right now, the BEST that you can hope for is one half of a couple surviving and spending the finale of the series celibate, and that needs to change

Edited by mochi

34 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

So how was Julietta able to give Mika so much trouble?  I thought she modified herself... but apparently not?

No, she purposefully refused the surgery as she considered using it to become a "demon" as a short cut.

I agree though, the writers could have set it up much better to give her some kind of proper edge in this fight to explain how she gave "killer Mika" so much trouble, instead she's a lesser skilled pilot (and doesn't have the implant), in a way worse mobile suit, the only edge she had was speed on the suit (which gave Lafter the edge when she once fought Mika back at the beginning of the show), but even then shouldn't the Barbatos Lupus Rex be performing better after all those upgrades? The writers could have just done a better job making this outcome more believable.

Amida was beating her with her shitty mobile suit only a couple of episodes ago before she died.

Edited by DangerMouse

2 minutes ago, mochi said:

I admit I'm a tad to complaintative sometimes

but the "bury your gays" trope is a real and prevelant problem in fiction and I'm sick of seeing it, I would like to see a gay couple have a happy ending every so often, and I'm sick of seeing literally every gay character I get attatched to die

it wouldn't be a problem if there were more gay characters and more gay couples who survive to endgame, but as of right now, the BEST that you can hope for is one half of a couple surviving and spending the finale of the series celibate, and that needs to change

Yeah I had had heard that was a problem going on apparently with a bunch of shows killing off their gay characters and couples.  Must have been in shows I don't watch I guess.

Just now, ben0119 said:

Yeah I had had heard that was a problem going on apparently with a bunch of shows killing off their gay characters and couples.  Must have been in shows I don't watch I guess.

it's been more common in primetime live action American Dramas but i've been noticing it bleeding into anime and it really really sucks

24 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

By that businessman that was pissed off because Kudelia wouldn't work with him.

Then after that we had stupid contrived war on Earth where all the Tekkadan members were acting like dumbasses.

Yeah, that's the stuff I recall. Felt like they kept getting attacked so at the time it didn't seem like they could avoid it and say "we've gotten far enough" but maybe that was just me reading it wrong since it seems to come up a lot in comments that Tekkadan could have just stopped at that point with what they had gotten like you said too, so maybe they could have and those were smaller incidents than I thought.

Edited by DangerMouse

1 hour ago, DangerMouse said:

Yeah, that's the stuff I recall. Felt like they kept getting attacked so at the time it didn't seem like they could avoid it and say "we've gotten far enough" but maybe that was just me reading it wrong since it seems to come up a lot in comments that Tekkadan could have just stopped at that point with what they had gotten like you said too, so maybe they could have and those were smaller incidents than I thought.

If that was the intent it didn't come off very well.  That first incident was whatever.  That guy was small potatoes.  The second one depended on nobody picking up the phone and calling Orga and just blindly following these new guys that came in to fight in some stupid war.  It just came off very forced.  So that was written badly but it seems like the writing in general has not been that great for season 2.

Well, maybe we could give credit to the Jastley stuff.  That guy was lurking around the whole season and then caused a bunch of shit, had Lafter killed.  But then he was dealt with in a single episode, with said episode opening after the battle already started.  So, this last push is so that things like that won't happen anymore?  Eh...

No, she purposefully refused the surgery as she considered using it to become a "demon" as a short cut.

I agree though, the writers could have set it up much better to give her some kind of proper edge in this fight to explain how she gave "killer Mika" so much trouble, instead she's a lesser skilled pilot (and doesn't have the implant), in a way worse mobile suit, the only edge she had was speed on the suit (which gave Lafter the edge when she once fought Mika back at the beginning of the show), but even then shouldn't the Barbatos Lupus Rex be performing better after all those upgrades? The writers could have just done a better job making this outcome more believable.

Amida was beating her with her shitty mobile suit only a couple of episodes ago before she died.

It seemed like she was leaning toward doing something drastic to improve and then that maintenance girl that appeared out of nowhere offered her some options, so it seemed like she had done something off-screen.  But nope lol.

Yeah Barbatos is supposed to be at its most badass now, heh.  What is with that grappling claw weapon anyways?

Amida's mobile suit is shitty?  She's clearly a better pilot though.  Suit isn't everything.  And Mika just beat a Mobile Armor LOL.

Edited by ben0119

2 hours ago, ben0119 said:

It seemed like she was leaning toward doing something drastic to improve and then that maintenance girl that appeared out of nowhere offered her some options, so it seemed like she had done something off-screen.  But nope lol.

Yeah Barbatos is supposed to be at its most badass now, heh.  What is with that grappling claw weapon anyways?

Amida's mobile suit is shitty?  She's clearly a better pilot though.  Suit isn't everything.  And Mika just beat a Mobile Armor LOL.

Yeah, I think that might have been when she mentioned why she'd turn it down too, maybe. Been a few weeks so I don't remember for sure.

Yeah, that's the weirdest part. Barbatos should be at it's best right now. And I don't mean that a superior pilot shouldn't still be able to beat him with an equal or somewhat worse suit. However, Mika's supposed to be one of the better pilots since they've never given him a real rival.

Right, I agree suit isn't everything. However, better suit and better pilot I believe both favored Mika considerably in that fight judging from Julieta's past performance. Amida was clearly the better pilot than Julieta to the point where Amida could beat her with an old suit so a presumably even better pilot like Mika, with also the implant advantage and even the experience from all the combat he's been in and also taking on a Mobile Armor by this point, makes it harder to believe he'd have so much trouble with her, even with somewhat of a speed advantage for Julieta.

2 hours ago, ben0119 said:

If that was the intent it didn't come off very well.  That first incident was whatever.  That guy was small potatoes.  The second one depended on nobody picking up the phone and calling Orga and just blindly following these new guys that came in to fight in some stupid war.  It just came off very forced.  So that was written badly but it seems like the writing in general has not been that great for season 2.

Well, maybe we could give credit to the Jastley stuff.  That guy was lurking around the whole season and then caused a bunch of shit, had Lafter killed.  But then he was dealt with in a single episode, with said episode opening after the battle already started.  So, this last push is so that things like that won't happen anymore?  Eh...

Yeah. That's kind of what I mean I'm not sure of the intent, at least for me the writers and director could have done a better job making it more clear. Before the mobile armor and the Jasley stuff I seemingly couldn't really tell for sure at the beginning of this second season which of the unprovoked attacks on Tekkadan were actually small potatoes and which ones weren't anymore, so I never really followed this seemingly pretty common opinion that they had the opportunity to stop and settle for what they had gotten since all I saw was that they kept regularly getting attacked at the beginning of the season, but I guess some people were better able to make out which attacks on Tekkadan were just small ones. I don't recall really having such a problem in the first season. You're probably right though that that the first incident was smaller than I thought back when that ep aired, so I guess maybe that was when they could have stopped back then before that whole blind war involvement on Earth bit or something.

Yeah.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Different?  Has she been impregnated? xD

Honestly not sure when Mikazuki found time to do that...

This week's review is a bit confusing. It has glowing language that seems to applaud the show for its nuance but then it gives it a "B+":

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/mobile-suit-gundam-iron-blooded-orphans/episode-46/.113009

Edited by OwlChemist81

Yeah, I think that might have been when she mentioned why she'd turn it down too, maybe. Been a few weeks so I don't remember for sure.

Yeah, that's the weirdest part. Barbatos should be at it's best right now. And I don't mean that a superior pilot shouldn't still be able to beat him with an equal or somewhat worse suit. However, Mika's supposed to be one of the better pilots since they've never given him a real rival.

Right, I agree suit isn't everything. However, better suit and better pilot I believe both favored Mika considerably in that fight judging from Julieta's past performance. Amida was clearly the better pilot than Julieta to the point where Amida could beat her with an old suit so a presumably even better pilot like Mika, with also the implant advantage and even the experience from all the combat he's been in and also taking on a Mobile Armor by this point, makes it harder to believe he'd have so much trouble with her, even with somewhat of a speed advantage for Julieta.

To me it seemed like it was hinting that Julieta would get the implant or some other modification.  She said something about getting stronger and then that lady talked about what Gaelio did to improve himself.

Yeah there is so much in Mika's favor that it isn't even funny.  I suppose it's just another example of the bad writing this season.

11 hours ago, ben0119 said:

To me it seemed like it was hinting that Julieta would get the implant or some other modification.  She said something about getting stronger and then that lady talked about what Gaelio did to improve himself.

Yeah there is so much in Mika's favor that it isn't even funny.  I suppose it's just another example of the bad writing this season.

Yeah, but while I'm not sure since it's been a few weeks I kind of think there might have been one more line right after she said that to Julieta, where Julieta responded with a bit of disgust toward the surgery or something and that she'd instead  redouble her training like she was taught, or something like that. Could be wrong though about what was said! Either way the wiki confirms she wanted to do it "the right way" without the surgery.

Yeah. They could have even had like something malfunction on Mika's suit or something to better account for it but I didn't really notice anything not heavily in Mika's favor except that Julieta's mobile suit was somewhat faster, but not considerably so since Mika beat her easily in round 2 this episode. If done better it could have been kind of cool that she did that well as lesser pilot in a lesser suit, it's just that it's really weirdly written that she was somehow not only able to keep him busy, but that she also seemingly wasn't even getting pushed or pressured all that much by Mika's attacks in this sequence since she doesn't seem to have any issue looking away mid-battle from the usually one mistake and you're dead opponent that is Mika in order to notice Shino about to fire his big shot, and then on top of that more free time to interfere all while facing someone like Mika. 

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Dammit why can't I upvote this more than once.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1