UnevenEdge

Hunter X Hunter St. Patty's day (Ep 88) discussion!

mochi

Just now, elfie said:

:D ... wait Chris was under exclusive studio contract!??!?

That's not how the industry works.

He did a couple voices in Pokemon, Fairy Yail and Dragonball kai

but then Toei put a mandate on Funi that they can't ever use anyone involved with Dragonball Abridged in any of their dubs

Just now, mochi said:

He did a couple voices in Pokemon, Fairy Yail and Dragonball kai

but then Toei put a mandate on Funi that they can't ever use anyone involved with Dragonball Abridged in any of their dubs

He also did a voice in the dub of Bakuman.  ... before it was canceled midproduction.

Wait Chris was in DBZ Abridged?? I guess I knew that and just forgot.

Edited by elfie

Just now, mochi said:

wait what now?

Yeah the anime about making manga.  NYAV Post in NY did the dub, it starred Michael Sinternikaas and Stephanie Sheh.

.... then the studio they used closed down due to money problems.  It;s the only non-fan dub I know of in American English dub history that is unfinished and out of the market.

3 minutes ago, elfie said:

He also did a voice in the dub of Bakuman.  ... before it was canceled midproduction.

Wait Chris was in DBZ Abridged?? I guess I knew that and just forgot.

He's Ox King in DBA

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, elfie said:

Yeah the anime about making manga.  NYAV Post in NY did the dub, it starred Michael Sinternikaas and Stephanie Sheh.

.... then the studio they used closed down due to money problems.  It;s the only non-fan dub I know of in American English dub history that is unfinished and out of the market.

hah, neat, I looked it up and it was mentioned that the Dub may resume production one day under VIz (NYAV Post moved wholesale to LA and has been doing work almost exclusively for Viz since then it's why Racheal Lillis (Misty and Jessie from pokemon) and Veronica Taylor (Ash & Delia Ketchum and May) have been in several Viz dubs

as well as several other former 4kids VA's like Bisky's voice actress

Edited by mochi
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, elfie said:

.No wonder I keep hearing that Little Kuriboh is in dubs now but I'm like "... .then how comes he's BARELY IN any!?"

Oh wow, you mentioning Little Kuriboh also in official dubs made me look it up, I knew Sokobe in Ajin sounded familiar, but didn't realize it was really him. Cool.

Edited by DangerMouse

2 hours ago, mochi said:

hah, neat, I looked it up and it was mentioned that the Dub may resume production one day under VIz (NYAV Post moved wholesale to LA and has been doing work almost exclusively for Viz since then it's why Racheal Lillis (Misty and Jessie from pokemon) and Veronica Taylor (Ash & Delia Ketchum and May) have been in several Viz dubs

as well as several other former 4kids VA's like Bisky's voice actress

Bakuman is the new Ohba/Obata anime, right? The "spiritual successor" to Death Note?

9 hours ago, DangerMouse said:

Oh wow, you mentioning Little Kuriboh in real dubs made me look it up, I knew Sokobe in Ajin sounded familiar, but didn't realize it was really him. Cool.

If you watched the K-On! movie dub, where they go to the UK and are mistaken for a legit band by an absent-minded restaurant owner hiring them for a gig? That's Little Kuriboh.  It's the only time I ever heard him in an official dub.

Also fun fact there's this anime translator who occasionally does voices named Marianne Miller.  She is his wife.  She most recently voiced Amanda O'Neille in Little Witch Academia.

Edited by elfie
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Bakuman is the new Ohba/Obata anime, right? The "spiritual successor" to Death Note?

Probably, in that both involve a high schooler using a pen to create works that affect others lives and they both share the same creative team, but other than that, there are no supernatural elements in Bakuman.

It was recorded only in NY at the time.  Think about how it could've affected the actors if it HAD been completed! Chris would've probably gotten his first break earlier than when he made the risky move to LA!

Edited by elfie

5 hours ago, elfie said:

If you watched the K-On! movie dub, where they go to the UK and are mistaken for a legit band by an absent-minded restaurant owner hiring them for a gig? That's Little Kuriboh.  It's the only time I ever heard him in an official dub.

Also fun fact there's this anime translator who occasionally does voices named Marianne Miller.  She is his wife.  She most recently voiced Amanda O'Neille in Little Witch Academia.

Awesome.

That's great, Amanda is one of my favs in LWA.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 1