UnevenEdge

Did anyone else not like Final Fantasy 9?

That_One_Guy

I played through it a few months ago, and after reading reviews online, I feel like this game is vastly overrated. For starters, the entire plot is a reskin of Final Fantasy 7. The whole concept of "I created this thing and now it's too powerful for me to control blah blah blah." I feel like that's a problem with a lot of JRPGs though. They all follow the same blueprint for the most part. Another thing that bothered me was the mind numbing dialogue. Holy hell it was awful and there was way too much of it and way too many cutscenes. I'd start a new disc and wouldn't get to actually control my player for like 30 minutes. It was also too easy. Beat enemies, level up, repeat. Over and over again. The only other thing to do in this game is play the card game which is sorta broken. The card game doesn't help you in any way. Winning new cards does nothing outside of the context of the card mini game. Overall, the entire game feels too much like it's on rails and the character design blows.....

Tl;dr? Your mother wears army boots. 

I'd say it's my fourth favorite in the series because it's a great game, but it's not a pleasant one to go through. I've enjoyed darker stories and drama, but it felt like a good chunk of the cast in IX exist merely to suffer. It'd be like if FFVI had 5 Cyans and a Locke, or if FFVII had a point where Red XIII was diagnosed with a debilitating ilness by the midway point and Cid found out his memories of the space program were false memories brought about after a fatal head injury. I enjoyed the combat, gameplay, and character design,  and I would go as far to saying Zidane's one of my favorite FF protags, but it felt incredibly soul-sucking in the story department as it went on.

Vivi alone makes me feel like garbage. He starts out as anxiety-ridden and lacking confidence in his own abilities, and on top of that, he finds out he was born in a factory and will die within a year. His entire character arc involves becoming brave enough to face his inevitable death without fear, conditioning himself to overcome his skiddishness only to die maybe a couple days/weeks before the end of the game. He did get his dick wet in Quina, but inadvertently made Quina, some mentally impaired fat Jar Jar, a single parent of its children who will also die within a year.

Freya's entire personality and story involves Sir Fratley, the love of her, life being lost only to find out he didn't die, but instead has amnesia. Her subtitle is "Despair - To be forgotten is worse than death". Literally, she functions to be ultimately devestated by the feeling of being forgotten by her love. Everything she's done for him, everything he's done for her, all lost. Her story ends better because they end up together, but he still has bad amnesia.

Eiko's whole race is nearly wiped out, save for her and Garnet, her parents died, and then her grandfather died, resulting in having to be raised by moogles. She also has to deal with Zidane not returning her unrequited love for him, so even though she's eventually adopted at the end, she's still left eternally cucked.

The other character's weren't as bad, but in proximity for how much suffering the other characters have faced, it's just another brick in the wall of suffering. Garnet's been under the thumb of a corrupt queen who ended up adopting her as her own daughter, brainwashing her into forgetting her real mother, Zidane finds out he's a genome created to be the Angel of Death, and Amarant is neglected by the story. The only people with relatively smooth backstories and lives are Steiner and Beatrix, officers for the enemy army who have done some shit.

On 1/2/2018 at 4:59 PM, That_One_Guy said:

I played through it a few months ago, and after reading reviews online, I feel like this game is vastly overrated. For starters, the entire plot is a reskin of Final Fantasy 7. The whole concept of "I created this thing and now it's too powerful for me to control blah blah blah." I feel like that's a problem with a lot of JRPGs though. They all follow the same blueprint for the most part. Another thing that bothered me was the mind numbing dialogue. Holy hell it was awful and there was way too much of it and way too many cutscenes. I'd start a new disc and wouldn't get to actually control my player for like 30 minutes. It was also too easy. Beat enemies, level up, repeat. Over and over again. The only other thing to do in this game is play the card game which is sorta broken. The card game doesn't help you in any way. Winning new cards does nothing outside of the context of the card mini game. Overall, the entire game feels too much like it's on rails and the character design blows.....

Tl;dr? Your mother wears army boots. 

You're a stupid fuckin reprobate.