UnevenEdge

In the wake of #metoo, will the Z Fighters have to distance themselves from Master Roshi?

ben0119

15 minutes ago, mochi said:

it's Japan, Japan still encourages Roshi-like behavior

they only draw the line if you go full Spacey

Uh, no.  It's not encouraged.  I'm sure people get away with it easier, or did.  There's actually an app you can download to tell people not to molest you on trains, because apparently some women aren't assertive enough to do so themselves.  Or maybe it's the attention the app draws.

But a lot of Japanese guys these days are total pussies.  Big part of why the birthrate is down.  There's a thing called kabedon that's become all the rage in shojo manga.

https://thedebrief.co.uk/news/real-life/kabedon-new-japanese-mating-ritual-need-know/

In the words of the female mangaka National Geographic interviewed on Explorer, it's a popular fantasy scenario because men don't pursue women enough.

8 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Uh, no.  It's not encouraged.  I'm sure people get away with it easier, or did.  There's actually an app you can download to tell people not to molest you on trains, because apparently some women aren't assertive enough to do so themselves.  Or maybe it's the attention the app draws.

But a lot of Japanese guys these days are total pussies.  Big part of why the birthrate is down.  There's a thing called kabedon that's become all the rage in shojo manga.

https://thedebrief.co.uk/news/real-life/kabedon-new-japanese-mating-ritual-need-know/

In the words of the female mangaka National Geographic interviewed on Explorer, it's a popular fantasy scenario because men don't pursue women enough.

the birth rate in Japan is down for multiple reasons actually, including but not limited to

1. Japanese apartments in the big city are too fucking tiny and don't have their own bathing facilities so couples can't even have sex half the time

2. statistically there's a HUGE amount of closeted gay people in Japan so half the marriages in japan are just for beard purposes and they aren't actually fucking

1 minute ago, mochi said:

the birth rate in Japan is down for multiple reasons actually, including but not limited to

1. Japanese apartments in the big city are too fucking tiny and don't have their own bathing facilities so couples can't even have sex half the time

2. statistically there's a HUGE amount of closeted gay people in Japan so half the marriages in japan are just for beard purposes and they aren't actually fucking

Japanese guys being pussies is definitely part of it though.

No bathrooms in the apartment?  What?  Yeah not good.

I'm sure that's common but I highly doubt it's as high as half the marriages.  Also if they were really wanting to keep up appearances they'd have kids too.  That's gone in the US people living double lives or even just being gay in a hetero marriage with no secret gay life on the side.

2 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Japanese guys being pussies is definitely part of it though.

No bathrooms in the apartment?  What?  Yeah not good.

I'm sure that's common but I highly doubt it's as high as half the marriages.  Also if they were really wanting to keep up appearances they'd have kids too.  That's gone in the US people living double lives or even just being gay in a hetero marriage with no secret gay life on the side.

they have services in Japan where you can hire actors to pretend to be your wife and kids so your family won't know you're gay

which.....implies a pretty widespread problem

since I don't think they had PAY services to hire a fake family at any point in America

5 minutes ago, mochi said:

they have services in Japan where you can hire actors to pretend to be your wife and kids so your family won't know you're gay

which.....implies a pretty widespread problem

since I don't think they had PAY services to hire a fake family at any point in America

Is that legit?  God damn!  Yeah that's pretty bad! :D

7 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I think it's possible that going forward, Dragon Ball Super MIGHT be affected by #MeToo and Roshi/Elder Kai suddenly lose their "pervy" moments, but we won't see that change in America until mid-2019!

I don't know about that, but we'll see. :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2017 at 6:34 PM, ben0119 said:

I don't know about that, but we'll see. :D

to be painfully honest

the fact that the current arc has had more female warriors than ANY arc in dragonball's history is already kind of a "metoo" effect

but yeah.....assuming Japan actually cares about the sales of this series in north America Roshi's perversion probably will be toned down soon (I recall he sexually harasses one of the female warriors in the current arc and her reaction is considerably more disgusted than any of the women he's molested in the past so I think Toyotaro at least is self aware of how....unsavory Roshi's behavior is)

I don't think that Roshi's character is too much of a problem right now.  See, it would be one thing if he was groping women and was still seen as doing something okay, or being in the right.  That really isn't the case.  It's pretty obvious that whenever he goes for a grope that he's just a dirty old man, and that when he fails, gets caught, and gets beat up, that he's deserving of it.  The show isn't really accepting of his nature, just playing it for laughs.  Trying to tone down his character completely would be a bit of an overreaction, IMO.