UnevenEdge

lit the pilot on the furnace today...

Rogue_Alphonse

first off, a furnace or water heater or range with a pilot is automatically fucking old.

That being said, there is so much deposit around the pilot that it looks like someone spilled a salt shaker in there.

Secondly, the blower fan takes a goddamn year to get up to speed.

..... I priced out new furnaces after that. I can afford $500 :|

alrighty your call.. all i was thinking..a bit of wet n dry sandpaper 20 cents ?.. a oxy acetylene tip cleaner set $6 .. replacement fan idk.. worst case 50 bucks ? and 1 hour ..

The thermocouple is fine, the pilot is fine... but the furnace is from 1972.

It's an 80,000 BTU input. I can replace it with a brand new 50,000 BTU 80% efficiency unit and cut about a third off of my energy costs.

The thermocouple is fine, the pilot is fine... but the furnace is from 1972.

It's an 80,000 BTU input. I can replace it with a brand new 50,000 BTU 80% efficiency unit and cut about a third off of my energy costs.

Holy shit, that's old.  That many years of continuous use would have cracked the heat exchangers on most like a decade ago.

Holy shit, that's old.  That many years of continuous use would have cracked the heat exchangers on most like a decade ago.

Oh I know... I had to deal with ones from the 1960's that literally would blow their own doors off because of cracked or rusted out heat exchangers.

Luckily it's in a dry basement and at least the house has been kept clean and maintained... but yeah it's gotta go. It'll make a nice garage furnace :D

Also the house had a wood stove and fireplace that was used most of the time it was built so I think the furnace wasn't used too hard.

alrighty your call.. all i was thinking..a bit of wet n dry sandpaper 20 cents ?.. a oxy acetylene tip cleaner set $6 .. replacement fan idk.. worst case 50 bucks ? and 1 hour ..

You don't mess with furnaces that old.  I had a furnace replaced that was pushing 30 with only occasional use in our condo because the duct in the basement had been chewed out by a squirrel, and, come to find out, it had been running with a cracked exchanger.  We had no idea how long it had been cracked and we didn't have an Monoxide sensors in the house.  After a certain age, you bite the bullet and get a new furnace.

You don't mess with furnaces that old.  I had a furnace replaced that was pushing 30 with only occasional use in our condo because the duct in the basement had been chewed out by a squirrel, and, come to find out, it had been running with a cracked exchanger.  We had no idea how long it had been cracked and we didn't have an Monoxide sensors in the house.  After a certain age, you bite the bullet and get a new furnace.

Yeah I was actually purposely poking holes in burner chambers in furnaces at an apartment complex I worked at because the cheap fucks wanted us to keep wire brushing the rust out of them and fixing roasted wires from flame-ups. Made those bitches replace the furnace :D

But yeah safety aside ( :D ) a new one will pay for itself in a couple years, and I can save a fuckton of money because I'll install it!