UnevenEdge

Ok, so I just watched the first episode of Blue Exorcist S2...

moose

... and yeah, they're retconing the last 7-to-8 filler episodes of S1. They're not even addressing it. They're just pretending it never happened and that we never saw it.

Ok, that's fine.... but it's still kinda messy. I mean... even during the "canon" episodes, the moment when Rin's friends confront him about being Satan's son is kinda different between both versions, even before the filler ending started. So... it's kinda hard to figure out where to stop watching S1 and continue with S2. Most people say after episode 17, but it's still not adding up all the way.

For example, there's a flashback in this new season where Rin starts making light of the fact that he's Satan's son to all his classmates, which makes that one girl cry because he's not taking the situation seriously. Well enough, but it's a flashback that never happened in season 1 because after the fight, Rin was encased in a crystal during the trial (while in the manga, he was conscious and free, and thus ran into his friends before the trial). So it's like.... super messy. It's not so simple to just say "stop at episode 17" because even then, those episodes had differences that are creating some plot-holes with this new season.

So.... it's best to just read the manga and then follow up with this new season. The transition from S1 to S2 is messy and not right, even if you don't watch the filler episodes that ended the first season. Meh.

... and yeah, they're retconing the last 7-to-8 filler episodes of S1. They're not even addressing it. They're just pretending it never happened and that we never saw it.

well that's just bad continuity, they could've at least found some way to incorporate the filler

well that's just bad continuity, they could've at least found some way to incorporate the filler

There really was no way unless they said all the events were a dream, because the decisions they made during that filler were story changing. They probably never expected to have another season. But once they did, they decided to just pretend those episodes never existed.

Ideally I'd have started off after episode 18 of the original season. That filler episode with the crow demon making Konekomaru even more nervous than usual seemed better suited to mesh with the canon than all that stuff with Satan and Rin's dumbass mom.

[which would explain his own stupidity]

Ok, that's fine.... but it's still kinda messy. I mean... even during the "canon" episodes, the moment when Rin's friends confront him about being Satan's son is kinda different between both versions, even before the filler ending started. So... it's kinda hard to figure out where to stop watching S1 and continue with S2. Most people say after episode 17, but it's still not adding up all the way.

For example, there's a flashback in this new season where Rin starts making light of the fact that he's Satan's son to all his classmates, which makes that one girl cry because he's not taking the situation seriously. Well enough, but it's a flashback that never happened in season 1 because after the fight, Rin was encased in a crystal during the trial (while in the manga, he was conscious and free, and thus ran into his friends before the trial). So it's like.... super messy. It's not so simple to just say "stop at episode 17" because even then, those episodes had differences that are creating some plot-holes with this new season.

So.... it's best to just read the manga and then follow up with this new season. The transition from S1 to S2 is messy and not right, even if you don't watch the filler episodes that ended the first season. Meh.

Yeah, they actually eventually revealed that was what they were going to do some time around the time the new season was revealed.

Someone said that stopping at 15 and then watching the Rin bits of 16 and 17 even if they are not 100% accurate (?) since I guess they are supposedly somewhat altered to fit with the incoming original material is probably the best we can do.

Hopefully it'll be smooth now that we'll be passed the point of crossover and many of us will be a tad hazy on the details anyway right around the split since it's been so long since the first show aired without going back for a full refresh.

I guess the most helpful thing it seems like knowing going in is being aware that we're back to before the crew came to terms with Rin being what he is.

Ideally maybe the should have picked a spot in the previous episode and spent half an episode recreating it and gone from there.

Either way it's good to have the BE crew back! Also, two of my fav supporting characters Shura and Kuro.

I wonder if this will find its way back on Toonami?

Watching it now; this is like an alternate-reality retread of episode 17 of the original to start!

This is weird!

P.S.: Yes I'll watch this subbed since I actually watched most of the first season subbed through FUNimation (yes, they actually had it subbed before anyone) in 2011!

I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, I'll either watch all the way then re-watch with the dub (or Toonami if it comes) or watch the first 5 or so then wait, I do love that dub cast.

This season is a little light though, so I may end up watching this twice.

There really was no way unless they said all the events were a dream, because the decisions they made during that filler were story changing. They probably never expected to have another season. But once they did, they decided to just pretend those episodes never existed.

We wouldn't have this problem if the animation studios wouldn't BURN THIS MOTHAH DOWN by doing that anime original ending shit just because they think the anime will never continue.  Why can't they just adapt to a certain point and then leave off?  Tons of those short anime adaptations are pretty much READ THE MANGA commercials like that, for instance.  Hopefully, this should be a thing of the past now that the seasonal model has become the norm.

Gotta be honest, I am kinda' curious to see how things turn out, canonically-wise, even if the show wasn't exactly what I thought it would be.  It was more slice of life school shonen than dark, demon and monster fighting stuff, like the promos and first couple episodes implied.  But again, still enjoyable enough for what it was!

Also, I always thought it was interesting that the big tough guy, Bon, I think his name was, was put in a non-combat role.  He does those chants or meditations or whatever.  That's kinda' different, right?

Yeah, they actually eventually revealed that was what they were going to do some time around the time the new season was revealed.

Someone said that stopping at 15 and then watching the Rin bits of 16 and 17 even if they are not 100% accurate (?) since I guess they are supposedly somewhat altered to fit with the incoming original material is probably the best we can do.

Hopefully it'll be smooth now that we'll be passed the point of crossover and many of us will be a tad hazy on the details anyway right around the split since it's been so long since the first show aired without going back for a full refresh.

I guess the most helpful thing it seems like knowing going in is being aware that we're back to before the crew came to terms with Rin being what he is.

Ideally maybe the should have picked a spot in the previous episode and spent half an episode recreating it and gone from there.

Either way it's good to have the BE crew back! Also, two of my fav supporting characters Shura and Kuro.

I wonder if this will find its way back on Toonami?

I honestly would've made Rin have a nightmare or something similar recapping all the filler material and then having him wake up right before the trial, that way he could've still had his original interaction with Shemi and the others and everything would have gone smoother... but meh.

I honestly would've made Rin have a nightmare or something similar recapping all the filler material and then having him wake up right before the trial, that way he could've still had his original interaction with Shemi and the others and everything would have gone smoother... but meh.

You know, now that you mention that, A-1 really fucked up by missing out on that opportunity.

Anime fans: more creative than the people that make what they watch.

Yes. This would have been great.

And also I think gotten a great laugh from fans at the moment of transition.