UnevenEdge

Yuri on Ice

Rogue_Alphonse

0/10.

It's something that it tries to take the lamest of sports and throw a same sex romance in it. This is apparently why so many skaters IRL try to be macho.

there you go again randomly picking a show I like and claiming that it's horrible and nobody likes it

dude get over me,

Figure skating is lame.  That was half the plot of Blades of Glory, that their loophole made the sport look lamer than it was.

I'm sure if other people call you out on this you'll change your tone and say

"I'm not saying figure skating is bad, I'm just saying I don't like it" like you did in the Toonami raitings thread

You mean the fact that other people like figure skating?  Sure, that's fine.  It is an Olympic sport after all.

It just looks lame, and Blades of Glory was hilarious about it (to me, although that film was a financial success). 

Although this does go into the long standing issues most Americans have with sports anime, a genre that traditionally does very poorly in the US (ask about sales of Big Windup! as an example.)

I keep seeing stuff for it but have never given it a try yet. You say it's pretty cute huh? I'll give it a try

things to know

1. it's by the same writer as Michiko and Hatchin and is just as good (for different reasons)

2. it's one of the first (technically) non-shonen ai animes I've seen that has well written actually canonical Gay people in it

3. the music is incredible (granted one or two of the songs are extremely corny)

4. it has fanservice but it is not crass or repulsive like some shows (one character comes close though, you'll know him when you see him)

5. if you're going to watch it, watch the dub, Crunchyroll's subs are very VERY innacurate, the dub uses the correct translations

things to know

1. it's by the same writer as Michiko and Hatchin and is just as good (for different reasons)

2. it's one of the first (technically) non-shonen ai animes I've seen that has well written actually canonical Gay people in it

3. the music is incredible (granted one or two of the songs are extremely corny)

4. it has fanservice but it is not crass or repulsive like some shows (one character comes close though, you'll know him when you see him)

5. if you're going to watch it, watch the dub, Crunchyroll's subs are very VERY innacurate, the dub uses the correct translations

Glad you pointed some of that out. I was about to go subbed. But I'll go ahead and watch the dubbed version of it. I think I will enjoy it

things to know

As corny as it is, Tales of a Sleeping Princes is such a jam imo

That's not entirely accurate, actually.

Sayo Yamamoto directed both, but didn't write Michiko & Hatchin; she did some of the storyboarding, though. Yamamoto also did series composition for YoI, but Mitsurou Kubo, a manga artist with a limited resume, pretty much laid out the entire series in comic format, so had a strong hand in how the story developed.

That's not entirely accurate, actually.

Sayo Yamamoto directed both, but didn't write Michiko & Hatchin; she did some of the storyboarding, though. Yamamoto also did series composition for YoI, but Mitsurou Kubo, a manga artist with a limited resume, pretty much laid out the entire series in comic format, so had a strong hand in how the story developed.

either way she's an amazing director

Excuse you, Shall We Skate is my song of 2016. :D

As much as I dislike JJ I find his song kind of catchy though.

But I love almost every song in the series.

Shall we Skate is just so corny sounding it's almost painful (also I find it hilarious that in the show's universe there's a figure skating version of the King and I, it carries certain shonen anime "the toy franchise we're promoting is the center of the universe" like connotations)

I mostly dislike JJ in general,

granted the fact that ep 11 reveals his jerk-ass attitude is a cover for the fact that he suffers panic attacks sort of makes up for it

Shall we Skate is just so corny sounding it's almost painful (also I find it hilarious that in the show's universe there's a figure skating version of the King and I, it carries certain shonen anime "the toy franchise we're promoting is the center of the universe" like connotations)

I mostly dislike JJ in general,

granted the fact that ep 11 reveals his jerk-ass attitude is a cover for the fact that he suffers panic attacks sort of makes up for it

I'd definitely want to see what The King and the Skater is like, esp in this universe. It sounds so bad but endearing that Phichit loves it enough to do a routine with the music.

My thoughts exactly on JJ.

I used to not like the song Intoxicated until my dislike for Christophe lessened with the show.