UnevenEdge

Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin vs Canelo Alvarez

Mix

I'll go GGG by late KO. Canelo is featherfisted and a short middleweight at around 5'7".  This smells fishy though because boxing is trying to make Canelo into its star, and GGG will just be seen as an Eastern European throwaway fighter even though he's truly special. In other words, the powers at the top don't care if GGG falls to 37-1, but they'll sure as hell care if Canelo gets dominated because it'll invalidate Golden Boy Promotions and make the most overrated fighter ever, Oscar De La Hoya, look like he was just a scam as a fighter.

So either Triple floors/stops him or Canelo gets a BS decision imo.

GGG was originally a 2 to 7 favorite when this fight was being discussed in early 2016, so it goes to show how badly his perception as a fighter has been hurt by the Brooks and Jacobs fights. I really don't want GGG to lose because I want him to unify, bust Hopkin's defense record, and potentially have the gnads to fight somebody who is planning to move up to HW (Ward), but tonight might ruin everything if Canelo is, in fact, an HBO cash cow with full body armor protection from the ref and judges.

You seem to have this opinion that the physically stronger fighter or more natural puncher will always win, but we saw that didn't happen with Ward vs Kovalev.

I think this one could go either way, both fighters excel in different ways.

Footwork the edge goes to Golovkin but upper body movement and punching from angles goes to Canelo.

Punching power and straights go to Golvkin, but body work and faster hands goes to Canelo.....

Think this one'e gonna be a long night for both guys...could see a KO but probably not an early one.

Well I had Ward winning the rematch and nobody ever mistook Kovalev for an all-time light heavyweight, whereas GGG is undeniably a Top 5 all-time middleweight (the best ever in my opinion).

I agree though, I see this fight lasting 10+ rounds for sure. Canelo's stocky and has a chin, and he's not the type of boxer who will put himself in a ton of risky positions, so even if GGG hits him flush, Canelo might take a knee if his strong neck doesn't absorb the punching power like he should be able to. GGG's got to chip away at him and take him out late. 

You'd put him over Roy Jones?....idk about that man, I agree that GGG is pretty great at what he does but it's kinda difficult for me to place him, not his fault it's mostly because this isn't the greatest era for Middleweights and because no one wanted to fight him up until the past few years.

You'd put him over Roy Jones?....idk about that man, I agree that GGG is pretty great at what he does but it's kinda difficult for me to place him, not his fault it's mostly because this isn't the greatest era for Middleweights and because no one wanted to fight him up until the past few years.

Ah true. Roy Jones was Danny Jacobs's size, but was a way better athlete with better hands and the rare gift to be able to punch with power and speed from unexpected angles, so I could see him using the athleticism and speed to dismantle a prime GGG, but I could also see GGG hurting him because of his poor fundamentals and timing him up with power punches, but you have to give the edge to RJJ if they had fought ten times prime for prime.

There's really nowhere to go for GGG to but up to light heavyweight if he wins this fight seeing as he'll probably demolish Cotto and Saunders, but it seems like he really doesn't want to move up and would prefer to toy with the same old faces for what's left of his career.

Ah true. Roy Jones was Danny Jacobs's size, but was a way better athlete with better hands and the rare gift to be able to punch with power and speed from unexpected angles, so I could see him using the athleticism and speed to dismantle a prime GGG, but I could also see GGG hurting him because of his poor fundamentals and timing him up with power punches, but you have to give the edge to RJJ if they had fought ten times prime for prime.

There's really nowhere to go for GGG to but up to light heavyweight if he wins this fight seeing as he'll probably demolish Cotto and Saunders, but it seems like he really doesn't want to move up and would prefer to toy with the same old faces for what's left of his career.

I really don't think Saunders wants to go anywhere near a ring with Golovkin in it  :D Cotto probably would but shouldn't

Lol at that judge who had it at 118-110

Yeah that's an outrageous score but the other two judges scored it fairly I think.

I still thought GGG won but Canelo did some nice things, he was never really hurt by GGG because he was turning his head at the last moment with his right cross, can't teach that.

credit to Zeni, he called it...

Every time boxing screws someone over with naked, in your face corruption, I never see it coming... :|

People just keep buying tickets and pay per views....placing bets.....for what

GGG won, by any standard of judging, a minimum 7 rounds....the other rounds you can fudge how you like....118-110 for Canelo...that's unreal  :-\

Best fight I've seen since the first Ward v Kovalev....thought GGG won by two rounds but at least we'll be getting another.

and it better be immediate...take the year off, return to camp at the beginning of 2018, we'll see you m'fers in march....

Of course GGG got fleeced. Check Twitter and it tells the story, also the HBO commentators are being paid off to pretend the draw was legitimate. GGG was crappy and still won by 4-5 rounds hunting down that scared coward.

i'm not checking twitter...toss us some links....

credit to Zeni, he called it...

Every time boxing screws someone over with naked, in your face corruption, I never see it coming... :|

It's pretty bad this year, Ward's win so questionable....Pacquiao robbery was one of the worst I've ever seen.

Boxing needs to realize all this shit is out in the open these days, but you're right they don't care as long as they make money.

But let's face it, it could've been worse, he could have lost....and on Mexican Independence Day is Vegas I was half expecting this.

I'm just going to take it at face value, it was a very very entertaining fight, one of the best in recent memory and its a shame its going to be remembered for some corrupt shitty judge that may have well wrote her score card before the fighters entered the ring.

I was kidding, I should have explained better I was just thinking if the rematch  was gonna take longer know what I'm saying

oh yeah, i'm with you there...man's 35, clock is ticking....but i'm sure they'll want to strike while the iron is hot on this thing....there's money to be made after all >.>

It's pretty bad this year, Ward's win so questionable....Pacquiao robbery was one of the worst I've ever seen.

Boxing needs to realize all this shit is out in the open these days, but you're right they don't care as long as they make money.

But let's face it, it could've been worse, he could have lost....and on Mexican Independence Day is Vegas I was half expecting this.

I'm just going to take it at face value, it was a very very entertaining fight, one of the best in recent memory and its a shame its going to be remembered for some corrupt shitty judge that may have well wrote her score card before the fighters entered the ring.

you're right...it was a good fight...i'm looking forward to the rematch....

this stuff bothers me 'cause i've been in the same situation and it makes you feel like shit....it's worse than losing...

you're right...it was a good fight...i'm looking forward to the rematch....

this stuff bothers me 'cause i've been in the same situation and it makes you feel like shit....it's worse than losing...

I can imagine it does, never played a sport that didn't keep concrete score so at least when I lost I lost legitimately.

But even as a fan it's pretty frustrating, way too much blood, sweat and tears fighters put in to not even get a fair shake.

I can imagine it does, never played a sport that didn't keep concrete score so at least when I lost I lost legitimately.

But even as a fan it's pretty frustrating, way too much blood, sweat and tears fighters put in to not even get a fair shake.

at least on this level they walk away with a couple million to balm their wounds