UnevenEdge

Nintendo Switch

Admin

• 2 weeks later...

I was pissed at the whole thing until I saw they had a Pro Controller for it.  Because I plan to hook it up to my TV and leave it there.  Just like 99% of everyone else who buys one.

Pretty much what I thought I would do with the Wii U, except in just about every game you have to go into options and pick the pro controller as player one to even use it so you don't have to use the tablet controller.  I see this being the same way. I have been reading that the release price is going to start at $249.99. I'm on the fence as to if I even want to bother with it. I have a Wii U which had 6 playable games if you count the new Zelda that is coming out (and won't be as good as the switch version). The only good games that aren't ports for wii u are smash, mario kart, pikmen3, DK tropical freeze, Hyrule warriors. There wasn't even a good mario, yoshi, or kirby game for this gen that was fun. They are going to have to inject some good pokemon games into the switch for it to recover from the wii u.

Pretty much what I thought I would do with the Wii U, except in just about every game you have to go into options and pick the pro controller as player one to even use it so you don't have to use the tablet controller.  I see this being the same way. I have been reading that the release price is going to start at $249.99. I'm on the fence as to if I even want to bother with it. I have a Wii U which had 6 playable games if you count the new Zelda that is coming out (and won't be as good as the switch version). The only good games that aren't ports for wii u are smash, mario kart, pikmen3, DK tropical freeze, Hyrule warriors. There wasn't even a good mario, yoshi, or kirby game for this gen that was fun. They are going to have to inject some good pokemon games into the switch for it to recover from the wii u.

the only negtive thing I thought about the WiiU was how horrible the name was, still do, and still think the Wii's name is horrible

otherwise I didn't think anything was wrong with it

I don't feel strongly one way or the other about the Switch....other than being sad that the WiiU is already dead

The name was horrible, but I think their logic was that people would get that it's a new system like they did with the Super Nintendo. However the Snes was actually advertised as a new system. The wii u loads of people thought was just an add on controller. The marketing was horrible, not to mention it had close to no games. For a system that has been out for about six years it should have at least 25 recognizably good games. I struggle to think of even ten!  The only way I can even do that is if I add HD remasters from old systems, but that doesn't count in my book. 

The Switch ad I think put too much focus on the "fact" that it can play skyrim hd. First off skyrim is older than the wii u.  Secondly it's the old HD remaster song and dance, show loads of stuff from that but little from everything else. It reminds me exactly of the wii u with wind waker HD. Every ad showing how great wind waker looks, every review is about wind waker, interviews where people are asking what nintendo is planning next and they dodge the question to talk about working on wind waker HD. Also I quoted fact because they did this with games like assassins creed and dishonored. Saying that they had full support for these games. Except the wii u was too underpowered to play them and nothing ever came of it.

Nintendo a very thin margin where they can screw up. I think if this system doesn't work out for them then they are going to go entirely to hand held. Honestly I would love if they merged with Sony and did the hand held while sony did the console. There is also some weird stuff going on with region demographic. The reason why Nintendo has being going with this portable game console idea is that it's what the japanese want. The japanese are constantly in transit and gaming in public is socially accepted. Over here if unless you are on a phone or seven, gaming in public is viewed different. So they are at an issue of who to market towards, the obsessive japanese market that will buy multiples of the same thing, or the world market. Capcom has even started a trend where they don't want to make monster hunter games for consoles, they want to keep it on handhelds. From what I read them making MH3U for the wii u alienated a lot of the fanbase. The switch may be an attempt at showing people how portable the system is, except it's battery life is under two hours!

Nintendo is bringing out the big guns with the Switch.  Zelda at launch is a huge bonus.  They also showcased a new Main Series Mario game.  There's even rumors of a new Metroid Prime game.  I think they realized that they need their main IPs to come in hard and fast.  Like Brannigan's law.

0b4d395a2cf4d3c61e86148bb83078c12182d82070a7749ad3dd8a0d20b29a18.jpg

I didn't buy a Wii U because the only game I wanted for it was Smash Bros.

But don't think that this is Nintendo's last gasp.  They have around 10 billion in net worth.  That's why they haven't closed shop in the past. 

The 3ds is a huge part of why Nintendo was able to keep it's head above water. They actually put effort into making games for it and marketing the 3ds as well. As well I think that the wii u will be the first system to have ever not had it's own Metroid or Zelda game, unless you count the dynasty warriors clone.

Not to mention a main series Mario game.  They had 3D Land, but it wasn't a part of the main series.

The wii u mario games didn't do well at all so they kinda had to jump ship and market the hell out of mario land games. The best selling one for wii u was Mario Kart 8 and that was 8 million units. On a list of most sold mario games that would  put the highest sold mario game on wii u at 14th place. New Super Mario Bros U sold about 5.5 million which would put it way down at 30th. The only things that the Wii U games have sold better than are the mario olympic/golf/tennis games, the mario & luigi games the paper mario series, and a handfull of mario party games. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

to tell you the truth, this reminds me quite a bit of previous Nintendo platform releases.  I can't ever remember a gigantic catalogue of games available at launch.

And the WII U I don't even remember at all.  That was the one time Nintendo released a platform that I was all "wait wut? this is - oh this is their next gen?" Maybe I was just out of touch with media news and stuff at that time.  But it was just - felt like such a non-launch to me.  And consumers seemed less interested than previous launches.  And it seemed to feel as though many thought it was some sort of extension of the Wii or something rather than an entirely new platform (read that somewhere).

This feels like a Nintendo launch, even with the light launch title list.  Maybe even partly because of that even.  The Switch feels like a new system.  And, kind of like Game Cube, N64 and other Nintendo launches - not a ton of games, but some pretty spectacular looking "must play" type games.

It feels like the first real Nintendo launch to me in quite a while.  Maybe since Game Cube even.  Wii and Wii U just never - grabbed me.  Already with Switch I feel grabbed.  Like back with Game Cube and N64.  It's the same feeling I had back then.  That was missing during the Wii era for me.