UnevenEdge

Twin Peaks Finale

Guest poof

i don't even know what happened there.  :|

i was following until the time jump. i think sarah was judy just as leeland was bob, but i'm not sure of the significance of that. also, what year is this?  what the fuck happened there? i've heard rumors that there may be a season 4, but i'm not holding my breath and even if there is i've long since given up on straight forward answers from lynch.

Season one. Season two. Season three.

Eh.

Season 1 > season 2 > Secret Diary of Laura Palmer > Fire Walk with Me > Secret Lives of Twin Peaks [or a Cliffnotes of it -_'] > season 3.

Yes, the movie and several tie-in books are practically mandatory. That's basically the most comprehensible way to get through it, given season 3 is an accumulation of the entire lore, not just limited to the previous show.

Laura Palmer's Diary adds a lot of context to FWWM, season 3 is virtually incomprehensible without FWWM and Secret Lives.

The Autobiography of F.B.I. Special Agent Dale Cooper can go just about anywhere after season 1. It's a fun read, but less useful than the other tie-ins and parts are retconned by production issues of FWWM.

Missing Pieces also helps a little to acclimate to FWWM and a few things make more sense with it, but the only scenes that add much are the more coherent Philip Jeffries scene and the Laura scenes. Otherwise, most of it is whatever.

I felt like FWWM was much more relevant than the  original TV show proper. The main significance of the original show was Dale, the FBI+Garland Briggs and the sheriff department, and a few characters that popped up occasionally but most of whom were primarily cameos. I could follow most of the show pretty well, but there was so much to be missed without FWWM or some of the written stuff. Like entire episodes dedicated to stuff introduced there, like

Philip Jeffries, Judy, Blue Rose, the owl ring, etc.

It's probably not necessary to read something as needlessly dense as Secret Lives in full, but with how much it talks about elements of the Lodge lore it's at very least worth looking into Wiki summaries of it.

Something like the Diary of Laura Palmer I only recommend because it's a good book and makes FWWM markedly better or the Dale autobiography just because it's a fun read.

all the written lore definitely makes it better! But to someone who doesn't even know if they like twin peaks yet, I'm only going to recommend s1-2, fwwm, s3. To me, the lore is great to complete your deep dive into twin peaks if you end up loving the show. And we're getting more lore on oct 31st! :}

That's true. I'm only suggesting what makes the stranger parts more digestible. You could go without the tie-ins and be fine, but something like Laura's diary took me [a very slow reader] a few hours to read and is really complementary to FWWM. I wish I'd read it before seeing the movie

Something like Secret Lives has so much fluff I don't really know that I'd suggest it to anyone not deeply invested in the lore. I'm more leaning toward "Look up chapter summaries via Wiki or something" rather than "read this ridiculously dense history book". Just because some of it is real useful for S3, but the majority of that book was... I'm not a huge fan of it, felt needlessly overbearing. It has some of the most significant hints, but overall my least favorite tie-in.

Because Annie (as we know her) doesn't exist?

well, she doesn't exist in any form we'd know in the new continuity created at the end of the series, but clearly in the main continuity characters still remember her. i'm thinking here of the bit of laura's diary that they found in the bathroom containing the message from annie. so, at that point she still exists, but what exactly happened to her is never addressed.

so... i still don't know how she is.  :P

Eh.

Season 1 > season 2 > Secret Diary of Laura Palmer > Fire Walk with Me > Secret Lives of Twin Peaks [or a Cliffnotes of it -_'] > season 3.

Yes, the movie and several tie-in books are practically mandatory. That's basically the most comprehensible way to get through it, given season 3 is an accumulation of the entire lore, not just limited to the previous show.

Laura Palmer's Diary adds a lot of context to FWWM, season 3 is virtually incomprehensible without FWWM and Secret Lives.

The Autobiography of F.B.I. Special Agent Dale Cooper can go just about anywhere after season 1. It's a fun read, but less useful than the other tie-ins and parts are retconned by production issues of FWWM.

Missing Pieces also helps a little to acclimate to FWWM and a few things make more sense with it, but the only scenes that add much are the more coherent Philip Jeffries scene and the Laura scenes. Otherwise, most of it is whatever.

Eh, I didn't find Secret Lives to mean much to The Return. If anything it's been made arbitrary.

• 2 weeks later...