UnevenEdge

The board was down for most of the day.

PhilosipherStoned

The server was hinky.

KN ran some repair operations on the database today (which is why, once it came up, it went down again for a couple of tiny spurts).

Basically same ol same ol.

Server is old.  My understanding is a shiny new server has been built, but a suitable facility has to be found to house said shiny new server.

I have no idea how long that will take, nor do I intend to pressure KN in any way.  It'll happen when it happens.  It's his server and he's the one that has to live with whatever arrangement he ends up with for it.  So I'm on board with him taking his time and finding the right place.

This particular one was so long because, it went down, I sent an email, it came right back up - then I went offline, went to bed, went to work, came home, and only then did I find out that the board had gone down again shortly after it came back on. 

He suggested he might be able to set up an alert of some sort for himself to monitor the server more closely.

And while it's not a huge thing, I am going to try to at least do quick checks now before bed, when I get up, before I go to work, and right when I get home from work (though often after work I have the board up and am either on it, or have it up in the background while I'm doing other stuff).

So hopefully there won't be such a long down time again.  But I guarantee you there will be more downtimes.  Because like I said, server we're currently on is old.

This particular one was so long because, it went down, I sent an email, it came right back up - then I went offline, went to bed, went to work, came home, and only then did I find out that the board had gone down again shortly after it came back on. 

CALLED IT

The server was hinky.

KN ran some repair operations on the database today (which is why, once it came up, it went down again for a couple of tiny spurts).

Basically same ol same ol.

Server is old.  My understanding is a shiny new server has been built, but a suitable facility has to be found to house said shiny new server.

I have no idea how long that will take, nor do I intend to pressure KN in any way.  It'll happen when it happens.  It's his server and he's the one that has to live with whatever arrangement he ends up with for it.  So I'm on board with him taking his time and finding the right place.

He suggested he might be able to set up an alert of some sort for himself to monitor the server more closely.

And while it's not a huge thing, I am going to try to at least do quick checks now before bed, when I get up, before I go to work, and right when I get home from work (though often after work I have the board up and am either on it, or have it up in the background while I'm doing other stuff).

So hopefully there won't be such a long down time again.  But I guarantee you there will be more downtimes.  Because like I said, server we're currently on is old.

Yeah I figured. I was getting an "unable to connect to the database maybe the server is too busy error"  >:D

I've heard about the supposed new server, makes me curious as to how big it is, I've seen some big ones,

but for this forum you shouldn't need anything to grandiose right? *shrugs*

Yeah I figured. I was getting an "unable to connect to the database maybe the server is too busy error"  >:D

I've heard about the supposed new server, makes me curious as to how big it is, I've seen some big ones,

but for this forum you shouldn't need anything to grandiose right? *shrugs*

I know next to nothing about servers so dunno.  But KN does and I trust him. 

What?! How dare you have a life!  >:(

Yesterday the server was either off, broken, or crashed. Anybody know what's up with that?

It didn't surprise me really, but then I come back and see Sona's in rage mode again..

coincidence?

All I know is that Viper/Sona is a level of douchebag I've never encountered in my life. I'm not even mad at him, just impressed that that much douchebaggery can be contained in one awful, ear-gauge having body.  :|

I'm kind of curious as to why KN built his own server for this place instead of just using a hosting company.  We can't possibly generate enough traffic to make it overly expensive, can we?

I didn't get a dedicated server just for this place.

I have a little under 20 different VPS servers from a couple hosting companies and it's getting to the point where their monthly bills would be the same as colocating my own bare metal.

The only reason I didn't get it set up yet is the datacenter wanted a large deposit I wasn't prepared for.

Also the server going down had nothing to do with Viper, just coincidence.

This particular issue was caused by MySQL being unable to allocate any additional RAM for database requests. Something running on the server has a memory leak or isn't killing off child processes so the available RAM shrinks over time until I reboot the whole thing. Gotta find out what that is.