UnevenEdge

The Interesting Dynamic between FUNimation and Viz

No one's mentioned it yet, but there is an interesting dynamic going on between FUNimation and Viz. Last year at this time, FUNimation had over half the lineup (4 out of 7 timeslots, 57%) on lockdown with DBZ Kai, Dimension W, Samurai Champloo, and One Piece, while Viz only had a single timeslot devoted to a long-runner in Naruto: Shippuden. However, beginning a year ago, Viz gradually claimed more slots on the lineup, until 6 months ago, those scales were reversed, as Viz was about to control 4 timeslots out of 7 in most normal weekly lineups with JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Hunter x Hunter, Shippuden, and One-Punch Man! Come to think of it, there was even a time on 12/17/16 when Viz controlled 5 of the block's 7 timeslots (2 episodes of JoJo, as well as regularly-scheduled Hunter x Hunter, Naruto: Shippuden, and One-Punch Man!) This was the case all the way through the end of January 2017, when things began to shift back in FUNimation's favor, first by adding Dragon Ball Super but not claiming any Viz timeslots with that, but then Viz lost the ender rerun timeslot to Ghost In The Shell when One-Punch Man's 2nd run ended, which didn't directly benefit FUNimation except now it and Viz controlled the same number of timeslots on the lineup (3). That continued through present-day, since all that happened was FUNimation switched one of its timeslots' shows for another of its own (One Piece for Tokyo Ghoul). Coming up this week, though, after one last time for Viz to control 4 timeslots with another 2-fer of JoJo, it will shrink back down to 2 timeslots devoted to long-runners, and FUNimation will control 4 timeslots with the two Dragon Ball series, Attack on Titan, and Tokyo Ghoul. Also interesting: while in 2016 both companies had timeslots both on the front and back halves of the lineup from a year ago onward, starting the week after next all of FUNimation's timeslots will be in the front half of the lineup (or middle in the case of Tokyo Ghoul) while both of Viz's will be on the back half of the lineup! Making things even more interesting is that with Toonami expanded to 9 timeslots, neither company actually can control over half the lineup with a mere 4 slots--to do that it would take 5, and I only see that happening during holiday marathons.

Nonetheless, I think it's safe to say that FUNimation has "won" Toonami in 2017, like in 2014. But of course the difference this time is the block's leader is a Cartoon Network Studios [as] original, but that won't continue for long! The lead show on the block has been a FUNimation show since January 2014 with few exceptions, and this is the longest such exception, but it won't last for much longer.

Seemingly every anime company active today has had a time when they hyped up Toonami's worth. Even Aniplex and Sentai had two shows each on the block at one point, though their relative size means it'd be hard for them to ever have a majority.

I find the dynamic to be fun because it makes sure you never hear the same voice actors among the shows. :)

It's really always been the case that whoever has "the shows" is gonna get the space to air them on Toonami.

In 2014 FUNimation had the shows (Space Dandy, Attack on Titan and DBZ Kai among others)

In 2015 Aniplex and Sentai had the shows (KILL la KILL, SAO II, Akame ga Kill and Parasyte)

In 2016 Viz Media had the shows (Hunter x Hunter, One-Punch Man and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)

In 2017 FUNimation has the shows again (Attack on Titan 2, Dragon Ball Super, Tokyo Ghoul)

FUNimation has maintained a strong presence (arguably the market share of time slots) since Toonami returned with the exception of the second half of 2016 when they were down to just DBZ and One Piece. Gundam re-entering the fray and Viz having three huge titles temporarily limited FUNimation's presence on the block but we all should have figured that minimized status wouldn't last.

No one's mentioned it yet, but there is an interesting dynamic going on between FUNimation and Viz. Last year at this time, FUNimation had over half the lineup (4 out of 7 timeslots, 57%) on lockdown with DBZ Kai, Dimension W, Samurai Champloo, and One Piece, while Viz only had a single timeslot devoted to a long-runner in Naruto: Shippuden. However, beginning a year ago, Viz gradually claimed more slots on the lineup, until 6 months ago, those scales were reversed, as Viz was about to control 4 timeslots out of 7 in most normal weekly lineups with JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Hunter x Hunter, Shippuden, and One-Punch Man! Come to think of it, there was even a time on 12/17/16 when Viz controlled 5 of the block's 7 timeslots (2 episodes of JoJo, as well as regularly-scheduled Hunter x Hunter, Naruto: Shippuden, and One-Punch Man!) This was the case all the way through the end of January 2017, when things began to shift back in FUNimation's favor, first by adding Dragon Ball Super but not claiming any Viz timeslots with that, but then Viz lost the ender rerun timeslot to Ghost In The Shell when One-Punch Man's 2nd run ended, which didn't directly benefit FUNimation except now it and Viz controlled the same number of timeslots on the lineup (3). That continued through present-day, since all that happened was FUNimation switched one of its timeslots' shows for another of its own (One Piece for Tokyo Ghoul). Coming up this week, though, after one last time for Viz to control 4 timeslots with another 2-fer of JoJo, it will shrink back down to 2 timeslots devoted to long-runners, and FUNimation will control 4 timeslots with the two Dragon Ball series, Attack on Titan, and Tokyo Ghoul. Also interesting: while in 2016 both companies had timeslots both on the front and back halves of the lineup from a year ago onward, starting the week after next all of FUNimation's timeslots will be in the front half of the lineup (or middle in the case of Tokyo Ghoul) while both of Viz's will be on the back half of the lineup! Making things even more interesting is that with Toonami expanded to 9 timeslots, neither company actually can control over half the lineup with a mere 4 slots--to do that it would take 5, and I only see that happening during holiday marathons.

Nonetheless, I think it's safe to say that FUNimation has "won" Toonami in 2017, like in 2014. But of course the difference this time is the block's leader is a Cartoon Network Studios [as] original, but that won't continue for long! The lead show on the block has been a FUNimation show since January 2014 with few exceptions, and this is the longest such exception, but it won't last for much longer.

I think it's not based on any kind of agenda. The block is short, only airs once a week, and only airs a specific kind of show, so my opinion is that a show gets to be on Toonami whenever the circumstances allow it.  I mean.... think of how long it took for Toonami to air Toyko Ghoul. And I bet in time, we'll have more VIZ shows than Funimations shows.

Seemingly every anime company active today has had a time when they hyped up Toonami's worth. Even Aniplex and Sentai had two shows each on the block at one point, though their relative size means it'd be hard for them to ever have a majority.

I find the dynamic to be fun because it makes sure you never hear the same voice actors among the shows. :)

Media Blasters and DiscoTek are the only major American anime companies yet to have one of their shows air on Toonami. I hope to see that soon.

The closest we even have to either party playing ball is the latter re-releasing IGPX.

Other than Lupin III: The Italian Job Adventure, I can't think of anything else either company has that has a chance of airing on Toonami.  Discotek has action anime, but they're mostly old as hell, and Toonami wants to stick to more recent ones.