UnevenEdge

Guys I think I'm going insane

Swimmod_Luna

Save up, retire at 45.

45 might be pushing it a bit but if I stay with the state I should definitely be able to have a good retirement. Since we don't pay into Social Security and just pay into our own state worker's pension, I'll be good even when social security gets totally fucked.

45 might be pushing it a bit but if I stay with the state I should definitely be able to have a good retirement. Since we don't pay into Social Security and just pay into our own state worker's pension, I'll be good even when social security gets totally fucked.

>implying that they won't raid your 401k

don't worry i'll be fucked too

I have deferred compensation which I think is basically the same thing

it kind of is... is it an NQDC plan? (non qualifying deferred compensation)

i'm assuming you are in a probationary period still since you've only recently started and as such probably didn't sign any such agreements, but you should find out. qualifying plans are like, retirement, 401k, 403k, etc... NQDC plans are a different sort of beast and can be risky, or very beneficial depending on the individual. so its important to know which and the differences. just something to consider for the future, as its your money and your future.

and on that note.

fuck adulting  ::D::

i have no idea what you people are talking about. the hell is wrong with a simple 401k

there is nothing wrong with it. I have one. They are just different plans. Whether or not you can potentially lose it, roll it into an IRA, how its taxed and when, whether or not you can take out a loan on it, regulations and limitations to benefits, max amount you can distribute into one annually, etc.... they both have their good and bad points depending on the individual whos plan is in question.