UnevenEdge

What Anime Are You Watching Right Now?

BUU8800

I'm just gonna assume that doesn't mean what I think it means.

It doesn't. I just watched some heavy episodes of various shows and came out of it feeling wistful. Also, we are in a change of seasons.

You might feel similar if you were Chise and had to watch a man get eaten alive by evil black rats. Also, Madoka Magica in its entirety.

The iDOLM@STER #4

R u me??? I got Funimation Channel on cable from 2009 - 2012!  What memories.

Yeah, I really do miss the Funimation Channel.  I have a lot of fond memories of me just sitting up and watching that channel until 11 or 12 at night.  Not all of the shows they aired were amazing, but I loved to watch every one of them.  It really helped reintroduce me to anime, especially since at that point in my life, I hadn't watched any anime in a while, and even then, not really anything other than action shows.  Notably, it introduced me to Chobits, which at the time became my favorite anime, and is still one of my favorites today, and reintroduced me to Yu Yu Hakusho, which I remember waking up early on weekdays to watch before class.

Now, as for my updates:

Re:Zero | Completed

I went into this show pretty much blind, if you can believe that.  From the description, and with the hype it got, I expected it to be a fairly standard, yet well animated and well written "stuck in a different world" story.  When I watched it,

I was both surprised and pleased to find out that it was more than that.  I enjoy a deconstruction when it's done well, and Re:Zero did it very well.  Subaru quickly learns that he can't be a generic shonen action hero in a world where his action have real consequences to them, even if he gets a chance to reset and do it over again.  While I definitely cringed during the royal selection scene where he humiliates both himself and his entire party with his stupid comments and lack of thought, it was really great to see him eventually break down from all of that and build himself back up in the right way. 

I can definitely see the show on Toonami, if it ever gets a dub.  Though to be honest, I'm sure Netflix would get it first.

Revolutionary Girl Utena | Completed

This one took me a while to get started, but once I got into it I practically watched it all in a couple of viewings.  The TV series had me wondering what I was watching at times, but in the end I enjoyed the surreal nature of the show.  I really like how

the show didn't waste it's clip show episodes.  They could have easily done a standard clip show, but they went the extra mile to add important plot details during them, just to catch you off guard when you didn't expect it.  I was absolutely floored when I watched the last clip show and they just spill it that Akio and Utena had sex.  I wasn't really expecting that to be coming at all, let alone at the end of a clip show.  I also enjoyed how the series portrayed things like "sex" and "power" (read:Akio) as being marks, not of adulthood, but of kids thinking that they're adults.  It's kind of nice to see a show do that.

Overall, Utena was great.  I'd definitely watch it again.  Thanks to MasqueradeOverture[/member] for suggesting it.

BONUS: Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Movie

I finished watching this not two hours ago, and it's fairly obvious that

it's even more surreal and metaphorical than the series itself.  I don't even get half of what I watched.  I'll have to watch it again sometime to try and pick up on some stuff.

Yeah, I really do miss the Funimation Channel.  I have a lot of fond memories of me just sitting up and watching that channel until 11 or 12 at night.  Not all of the shows they aired were amazing, but I loved to watch every one of them.  It really helped reintroduce me to anime, especially since at that point in my life, I hadn't watched any anime in a while, and even then, not really anything other than action shows.  Notably, it introduced me to Chobits, which at the time became my favorite anime, and is still one of my favorites today, and reintroduced me to Yu Yu Hakusho, which I remember waking up early on weekdays to watch before class.

Dude I should've gone to bed before midnight cause i had to work in the morning but I watched a ton of Tsubasa, and El Cazador De La Bruja!!

Now, as for my updates:

Re:Zero | Completed

I went into this show pretty much blind, if you can believe that.  From the description, and with the hype it got, I expected it to be a fairly standard, yet well animated and well written "stuck in a different world" story.  When I watched it,

I was both surprised and pleased to find out that it was more than that.  I enjoy a deconstruction when it's done well, and Re:Zero did it very well.  Subaru quickly learns that he can't be a generic shonen action hero in a world where his action have real consequences to them, even if he gets a chance to reset and do it over again.  While I definitely cringed during the royal selection scene where he humiliates both himself and his entire party with his stupid comments and lack of thought, it was really great to see him eventually break down from all of that and build himself back up in the right way. 

I can definitely see the show on Toonami, if it ever gets a dub.  Though to be honest, I'm sure Netflix would get it first.

Revolutionary Girl Utena | Completed

This one took me a while to get started, but once I got into it I practically watched it all in a couple of viewings.  The TV series had me wondering what I was watching at times, but in the end I enjoyed the surreal nature of the show.  I really like how

the show didn't waste it's clip show episodes.  They could have easily done a standard clip show, but they went the extra mile to add important plot details during them, just to catch you off guard when you didn't expect it.  I was absolutely floored when I watched the last clip show and they just spill it that Akio and Utena had sex.  I wasn't really expecting that to be coming at all, let alone at the end of a clip show.  I also enjoyed how the series portrayed things like "sex" and "power" (read:Akio) as being marks, not of adulthood, but of kids thinking that they're adults.  It's kind of nice to see a show do that.

Overall, Utena was great.  I'd definitely watch it again.  Thanks to MasqueradeOverture[/member] for suggesting it.

BONUS: Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Movie

I finished watching this not two hours ago, and it's fairly obvious that

it's even more surreal and metaphorical than the series itself.  I don't even get half of what I watched.  I'll have to watch it again sometime to try and pick up on some stuff.

Back in the day, seeing people's reactions to the Utena movie was like the best part about it. I also went into Re:Zero without any info about it and liked how it played out too.

Hunter x Hunter 1999 41

On one hand, Gon vs. Hisoka has been well done with what technologies they had in 2000, and I like how they haven't revealed Machi as a Phantom Troupe member yet. (For all we know, she's just the female acquaintance of Hisoka's that he's possibly attracted to.) On the other hand, they really rushed the hell out of the first act. It's a good thing I watched the 2011 version first, otherwise I'd be wholly unsatisfied.

Dimension W 10-12

A message to all the haters: I understand why you view this show the way you do. I can see what you mean when you say it has wasted potential, it gets worse with every episode, it's needlessly convoluted, and it has a crappy conclusion. (And especially that Kyoma's 100% unlikable just because he's not really all that nice to Mira.) But you know what? I don't give a shit about any of that. I see and understand it, sure, but none of that has anything to do with my opinion on the show. I never cared about what potential it had or what direction I hoped it would go, I enjoyed the show for what it was instead of nitpicking about its various flaws, and everything made enough sense considering my way of thinking. Really, I like what I like, and that's what Dimension W is. Something I like. You're free to keep on hating it like you have been, but just know that no matter how much you tell me that Dimension W sucks, I will never, ever agree with you.

That said, Loser's death was the real downside to the show's ending. :catsad

World(END) #12

It's one of those shows that takes a while to decide what it wants to be, but the decision ultimately comes too late to save it. I blame the focus on lizard cinema.

The biggest problem for me was that it just smashed together too many strange concepts to be appealing... especially the "everyone on this earth except for the MC and the leprechauns are hybrid animal people" thing. And with having young girls reincarnated from another world turned into death weapons, I actually wish the show had gone over the concept more, and given it less levity. Have some of them die before Cthtolly started to turn, and maybe everyone else would realize her anguished situation.

I did like the ending, because they managed to make her death matter, if only because of the insane amount of monsters she brought down with her. I also find it interesting that Willem's status was made unknown. I guess the ping on that dude's radar at the end is proof he's alive, but I had no idea if that was even an intentional tease. It would be interesting to see where a potential Season 2 would go; I guess they'd just focus on the other leprechauns, finding a way to take back the surface, and Willem maybe comes along for the ride. And what about Chtholly's new life?

6/10 for me.

[it can be two things]