UnevenEdge

What Anime Are You Watching Right Now?

BUU8800

I just recently marathoned the whole thing again (and got so hooked I had to actually go read the manga  :o where it left off).  I just love how Miyuki's eyes look like a rottweiler's when he'd deadly serious and thinking hard, whereas Sawamura's gold looks more like a panther.  If the whole show was about Miyuki I wouldn't complain.  :D  The other thing that struck me anew was how awesome the OST is, especially the Gloves on the Bench and Grow Stronger Day by Day themes.  It really is effective at heightening the drama and exhilaration of many scenes.  Although it's kinda weird when the music just cuts off because the scene ended and the music wasn't finished. :)

I also applaud all the older anime I'm seeing people list!  Yay!  I am however detecting a serious dearth of Tsuredure Children in people's posts!  If you're not watching it, you should be!  It's absolutely hilarious (and short).  The first episode is not a major hook, though it's no less funny than the rest.  It's just that everything becomes funnier as you gradually get to know all these people.  Watch eeet...

Youkai Apartment is turning out to be pretty good too, sort of a poor-man's Natsume Yuujinchou.  I've not been too enthused about Welcome to the Ballroom, but I'm enjoying Touken Ranbu and Saiyuki Blast for all the eye candy.

I've definitely noticed the eye thing in Diamond no Ace since Miyuki became serious about

being the captain.

Added Tsuredure Children to my watchlist, but 12 minute shows are something I have to be in the mood for.

I am currently watching Youkai Apartment, and

the summoned creatures from a book trope had me worried about the show being bland until most of them ended up being underpowered/lazy. It would be nice if they stay that way, and the lead has to creatively figure out how to use them.

Added Tsuredure Children to my watchlist, but 12 minute shows are something I have to be in the mood for.

The format is 2-4 sketches per episode, so you can watch as much or little as you're in the mood for.  If you want to settle in for 22 min, watch two episodes. :)  If you only have time/patience for 5 min, you can do that too.  But they pack a lot into each episode, so the 12 min paradoxically seem longer, even though it flies by.

Speaking of Miyuki's eyes, can't wait for you to get to episode 34. 

Made in Abyss 7

Welp, Ozen's now my least favorite anime character of the moment, and the show's lucky that I'm not docking any points from it for that.

CJ4Erfl.png

FiTn9EB.png

Also, does anyone else find it weird that the series is half-over and yet Nanachi - who has shown up in the promotional material, has prominence in the ED, and is singing the frickin' ending theme alongside Riko and Reg - hasn't even shown up yet? Weird...

I watched the first 2 episodes a few days ago, but wasn't planning on mentioning it here. It's cute. Glasses dude/smoking girl is easily the best couple so far.

This is unarguably true.

Over the last 3 nights, I've seen:

-Thu: Napping Princess (Hirune Hime: Ancien and the Magic Tablet)

-Fri: Lu Over the Wall

-Sat: Night Is Short, Walk On, Girl

They have gotten progressively better each night, and holy crap, Night Is Short was amazing, especially if you've already seen Tatami Galaxy.

This weekend belongs to the shorts, I'd say. Some of it's to clear out the backlog.

• Nora, Princess, and Stray Cat #1 to #6

So this is an anime. I guess I like it, but the whole thing is weird. For one thing, they never show how the main character got turned into a cat, instead saving an explanation for this opening recap, which seems excessive considering that the episodes are three and a half minutes long each.

I guess it's animated in Flash? I've heard of that being used for anime but I've never seen such an instance of it until now. Perhaps it reinforces the point that I feel anime such as this one are only made so the creators can feel better about themselves for being exposed to a wide audience. I guess it works out nicely. After all, this show is packed with the stupidest of humor... I'm talking sub-Girl's High level stuff. A house gets lit on fire because someone's very chivalrous with the hot pot, a game show parody is almost entirely just wrong answers and a faulty buzzer preventing the right one, and the most recent episode up to now eschews any sort of pacing in favor of having the characters be turned into live-action goats for the entire time.

And for stuff like that, I have to admire its audacity. Still, maybe I'd be better off with the girl who really likes bananas...

• Knight's & Magic #8
  • Nyanko Days #8 to #12 (END)

That was the most aggressively pointless thing I've ever seen. No further comments.

• Nora, Princess, and Stray Cat #1 to #6

So this is an anime. I guess I like it, but the whole thing is weird. For one thing, they never show how the main character got turned into a cat, instead saving an explanation for this opening recap, which seems excessive considering that the episodes are three and a half minutes long each.

I guess it's animated in Flash? I've heard of that being used for anime but I've never seen such an instance of it until now. Perhaps it reinforces the point that I feel anime such as this one are only made so the creators can feel better about themselves for being exposed to a wide audience. I guess it works out nicely. After all, this show is packed with the stupidest of humor... I'm talking sub-Girl's High level stuff. A house gets lit on fire because someone's very chivalrous with the hot pot, a game show parody is almost entirely just wrong answers and a faulty buzzer preventing the right one, and the most recent episode up to now eschews any sort of pacing in favor of having the characters be turned into live-action goats for the entire time.

And for stuff like that, I have to admire its audacity. Still, maybe I'd be better off with the girl who really likes bananas...

Masaaki Yuasa has been using Flash for years for the projects he's directed. Ping Pong, his Adventure Time episode, and both of the movies that were recently completed had the final animation mostly or entirely created using Flash.

In This Corner of the World

Fantastic, go see it if you can, should still be playing at theaters until around the 24th.

Konbini Kareshi 5

Dr. Slump: Arale-chan 23 - 24

Looking again over my MAL on-hold list it's still a damn shame Kabocha Wine never got subbed passed the fifth episode. Wasn't Crunchyroll going after old school shows awhile back? I remember Miss Machiko was the big one they got. Shoulda picked this up too!

Shirokuma Cafe 37

So this was a Christmas episode, pretty cute too, but more importantly it reminded me of something. One of these years I'm gonna sit down and plan out a hypothetical 24 hour Christmas episode themed anime marathon for around the holidays. I've questioned whether or not it was feasible before, but by now I'm sure it must be. Surely I've seen 48 anime with Christmas themed episodes by now, which would be 2 an hour at roughly 20 minutes each. Honestly you could probably fit in another one with the extra time in between but eh. There could also be longer specials included like that one Ranma OVA. Now that I think of it Ranma had a regular length Christmas episode too. Coming from a guy who genuinely finds making lists relaxing the various ways to sort shows/schedule excites me. Age, genre, etc... Should something originally aired in 4x3 come before the 16x9 HD shows, or should they be mixed? Should cgdct shows or romance shows be lumped together, or separated? Stuff like that. Hell, eventually I'll probably have seen enough to do kinda how TCM schedules things with a day of each week set aside. Like maybe 8 - 10 hours each Sunday in December or something. Stuff like that. The possibilities are endless! :D

Also have enjoyed this little runner of Miss Sasako trolling Penguin-san in the previews lately culminating in her showing up in cardboard box puppet form this episode, or whatever those are. :D Also, also for whatever reason I love the way the Japanese pronounce Grizzly, at least in this show. :D

Shirokuma Cafe 38

And this was a New Year's episode. Which would probably be an even easier holiday to plan a day long anime marathon for honestly. They just seem more prevalent to me. Hell, judging by the preview New Year's will bleed into that episode too.

Also they ramped up the references here. Doraemon, Arrietty, and at one point Panda was reading a pretty much exact replica of volume 1 of the Detective Conan manga except Conan's apparently a penguin in this universe. :D

EDIT: Shirokuma Cafe 39 - 41

I doubt I'll ever understand why you listed them by season even though the series originally aired continuously.

Hunter x Hunter 1999 16

Overall thoughts on who did the prisoner matches better:

• Bendot vs. Tonpa was about the same, but 1999 has the edge.
  • Gon vs. Sedokan, I prefer 2011, mostly 'cause Gon didn't wait for the candle to almost entirely melt away before making his move. Also, that shit-eating grin. ;D
  • Kurapika vs. Majitani was pretty much the same also.
  • Leorio vs. Leroute, I'll give to 1999 because of how much more menacing Leroute was, plus Tonpa covering Gon's eyes/the monitor for the room randomly breaking when Leorio went to grope her. :D
  • Killua vs. Johness is an extremely tough call, but both did it very well.

Rurouni Kenshin S3 ep 28

Well that's the end of the Netflix episodes.  I'm pretty sure there's some OVAs I've never watched but I'm too lazy to find them online for now.

Have you seen the Samurai X: Trust&Betrayal/Reflections OVA trilogy?  Required viewing, the first two at least.  Mixed reviews on the third one, but I think most don't like it.  I was ok with it, though it was kinda weird, especially considering how the manga ended.  There's also a skippable Samurai X movie.  It's done in the same style as the series (not sure why it got the S-X branding), while the trilogy has a completely different look and tone.

Have you seen the Samurai X: Trust&Betrayal/Reflections OVA trilogy?  Required viewing, the first two at least.  Mixed reviews on the third one, but I think most don't like it.  I was ok with it, though it was kinda weird, especially considering how the manga ended.  There's also a skippable Samurai X movie.  It's done in the same style as the series (not sure why it got the S-X branding), while the trilogy has a completely different look and tone.

I don't think I've seen the OVAs.  I've only seen the episodes that were on Toonami and Netflix.

Yeah I'll definitely pass on the Samurai X movie.

Shirokuma Cafe 42

Honestly got a bit teary eyed at the end of the Grizzly's First Love story. :'(

EDIT: Shirokuma Cafe 43

Shirokuma getting out-punned was cute. I'm not complaining but they've really been relying heavily on the Shirokuma wakes a trying to hibernate Grizzly gag since that plot point was introduced. Has lasted much longer than I expected and kinda reminds me of how Bart would prank call Moe in the earlier Simpsons episodes. :D

EDIT 2: Shirokuma Cafe 44

Well damn, this rather dramatic episode come outta nowhere. Never expected to see Panda breakdown like that, or Penguin to so passionately defend his friend. Another tear-jerker. Powerful stuff.

The OVAs and movie were licensed by Sony, I believe, and they couldn't use the Rurouni Kenshin name. That's really the only reason.

Both my 2004 OVA box set and the 2000 movie have ADV all over them and are both branded with the Samurai X title.  The box set does have Rurouni Kenshin on the back, but that's more like part of the blurb than a title.

After digging around a bit, it appears that Sony had been pretty chill about the NA title for the series itself, so I think it was a conflict with Media Blasters still having the license to the Rurouni Kenshin title here.  So maybe Sony told ADV, "Okay, how about Samurai X?  That's been working for us on Animax," and ADV was all, "Sure, that'll sell, it's got Samurai and X in it" (never mind that Kenshin is not a samurai - that's rather the point of the series).  And when AoA released the OVAs on Blu-ray in 2011, they went back to Rurouni Kenshin (I imagine both the MB and ADV licenses had expired by then).

• Mr. Osomatsu #6

Well, it took something of a while, but I'm actually into this show now. And to think that it only took another crude ass shove joke to get there. Also, I have no idea why this guy with the flag speaks with the voice of a little girl... or maybe it's just an even younger boy. I don't know.

• Tsuredere Children #1

On the other hand, this one started out a little weak, but it got better by the end, especially once they started introducing non-PG jokes that were still tasteful. I'd say this one gets a TV-14D for references to sex (said as such), virginity, and whether or not a female character would prostitute themself for about $1,000.

Though I'm not sure if this qualifies as the best short of the season (the ANN people thought so after just this one episode), it's a lot better than Creepy Crossdresser Nausea Fuel: The Anime.

• Puella Magi Madoka Magica #2