UnevenEdge

What Anime Are You Watching Right Now?

BUU8800

Natsume's Book of Friends Season 2, 12

While searching for ghosts in an old mansion with Taki and Sasada Natsume finds Kai, a mysterious young boy trapped in a coffin. It soon becomes apparent that all is not as it appears as a cleaver wielding youkai stalks young Kai. Boy, Nyanko-sensei saves Natsume's ass yet again. He certainly earned that 200 yen. :D I know this isn't really that kind of series, but it's fun to ship so I can't decide if I prefer Natsume with Taki or Sasada. :D Yeah, I figured that was Natori in the hat, and Kai's story had a hole or two. Like there being no lock, and what was the promise he made that youkai? Will we find out in the finale?

Natsume's Book of Friends Season 2, 13(END)

Final Thoughts:

Having learned Kai is a youkai intent on releasing ogres sealed inside an old well, Natsume is presented with a choice: will he side with humans, or youkai? Well Natsume learned by the end of the episode that it's not an either/or question, not really. The answer is both! Provided they're precious to you. I liked that Natori wasn't presented as dead-set on extermination. Unlike the Matoba clan(who I expect we'll see more of), he was willing to help in a way that didn't involve killing Kai. Plus seeing Hiiragi is always a treat. :D I also liked how Taki and Tanuma had a role to play, and that for how built up the sealed ogres were Kai was easily more powerful. :D The cherry blossom gathering at the end felt a bit like a makeshift finale, but still a sweet one, Reiko by the window included. Kai finally eating the cookies Taki made for him was cute, hopefully we'll see him again. From what I remember another strong season. Thankfully only that painting episode brought me close to tears from the last batch. :D 8/10

Oh, and I had a hunch so I checked. Sure enough, Natori's va did Yakumo in Rakugo. :D

• Birdy the Mighty: Decode #10
  • Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- #17

And so the suffering continues.

I'm just going to have a hunch that the White Whale causes memory erasure of a person in others once it eats them. It's the only way I can see this panning out, and why they ultimately have to kill it. I was expecting Subaru to get eaten by it and then the next episode, "From Zero", would basically be him starting over in trying to communicate with everyone, but I guess it's not going to work that way. :P

And when Otto decided that Subaru was a magnet for mabeasts and intentionally threw him off the carriage in an effort to survive, it was hilariously cruel. Doubly so when he ended up dying anyway, and Subaru made it out unharmed, and without even letting the children in the village die! So that's a minor win for him. And and, holy [glow=red,2,300]shit[/glow] was that ending reveal great. I was missing Bubby so much, though not really until I heard his name again.

Now for the usual:

G4GdRgk.jpg

JqMyAqN.jpg

Your Name.

It was beautiful to look at and NEEDS to be seen on a big screen.  The story was well-written with a few big plot twists that you probably wouldn't quite understand if you're not familiar with Shinto religion and their idea of intertwining timelines.  I mean... this also got me educated on some things.  I had no idea what kuchikamizake sake was before seeing this.  This isn't just a comedy about body-swapping.  That only comprises the first act.  The rest of the movie introduces a danger that very much kills the main heroine, and the boy has to somehow go back in time to save her in an alternate timeline, and the comedy, little that there is, is left behind. I'll just say there, the comet doesn't JUST swaps their minds, but they also go back and forth in time in the span of 3 years apart.  The opening song plays like a music video montage and spoils a lot of key moments, which felt weird to me.  While they say it's a love story, I really do not see how the two mains could grow to love each other... I mean, they barely meet in person, and in the rare times they do, they don't show any sign that they're meant to be together.  Overall, I guess i was too focused on trying to understand things going on to ever cry.  Yes, I never cried during the film.  So I also don't understand why it got this much acclaim as success, but I still highly recommend it to anyone to is into anime films!

• BanG Dream! #10 to #12

So that was an interesting stretch of episodes. They finally won the audition, but Space is still closing and I have no idea how the story is going to handle that. So what if this is its farewell concert... where will PoPiPa play after the fact? It would be a good topic to explore in a second season, but I have a gut feeling that the show is going to bomb and they won't make any more of it. Oh well. :it:

That didn't go anywhere near I wanted it to. I still like the series, and perhaps not following my expectations is better overall and a little subversive, but I also have other qualms with it, such as the seeming lack of original songs compared to other idol/girl band shows. But let's see where the finale takes us before I give it a final judgment.

• Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- #18 (oh boy)

Yes, it was that episode. And I felt ALL THE FEELINGS. Mostly shitty ones. Maybe it wasn't a good idea to watch this one after Gundam Unicorn yesterday night, since I ended up in a pretty feisty mood for most of the early today.

v7kdFWL.jpg

2reQguu.jpg

Haikyuu season 3 episode 10

The reaction shots after the game ended were the best, and I teared up when the seniors started wailing together. Oh goodness, I'm glad I put off watching the third season until I could finish it uninterrupted. Google tells me that the delay for season 4 is due to waiting for manga chapters, so I'll be good and patiently wait.

Natsume's Book of Friends Season 3, 1

Season 3 begins with a teacup youkai entering Natsume's house, and an old goddess asking him to help her find her old friend who as it turns out was Reiko all along. Well I probably would have enjoyed this more had it not taken me 90 minutes to get through due to my internet crapping out multiple times during it. Still, a pretty good re-introductory episode. Natsume pretty much spent the first 7 minutes recapping the series' premise and characters via internal monologue. If you're gonna do recap this is preferable to showing old clips. Too bad I didn't stop just before this episode the last time I put the series on hold, it woulda helped. :D The art was visually pleasing. I enjoyed the teacup youkai ultimately protecting Natsume, and the Reiko flashback. It's just too bad Reiko got upset by the old lady not being human. A friend's a friend afterall, but she immediately challenged her to a contest to get her name after learning the truth so I guess she didn't feel that way. Still, she was kind to her when she thought she was human. New op/ed both sounded nice enough. The art style/summer sparkler visuals for the ending were very nice.

Natsume's Book of Friends Season 3, 2

Natsume and Tanuma each encounter a youkai trying to return to the mystical Ukiharu Village. With two separate fist bump bro scenes between them this was clearly setup as a Natsume/Tanuma episode. Unfortunate then that Tanuma barely did anything and felt like an afterthought. The evil youkai Natsume encountered got a swift and well deserved end, turning into a branch. The other's Reiko flashback was cute with them playing rock, paper, scissors. I'm glad he made it back home. :)

Alrighty since the site is back up:

Kuroko no Basket 60-62

I was wishy-washy along with the audience about who to cheer for until Kise copied Tetsu's moves. Then I wanted Tetsu to get payback and he was so adorable after he got that buzzer beater in. I did feel bad for Kise when he started crying though.