UnevenEdge

OG Naruto on Toonami Rewind Discussion

Back in the day, this was the hottest joint in town

I was in college when it premiered; I'd been following its localization closely online

John Boyega was a little kid in 'Attack the Block' when this kicked off - he even namedropped it in the movie

And, as Shippuden's run comes to a close during our usual Midnight Run, Toonami Rewind takes us back to the start -

NARUTO

EPISODE 1

ENTER: NARUTO UZUMAKI

Enter the Hidden Leaf Village's Number One Knuckleheaded Ninja!

Will he tame his demons and become the top shinobi?

The Legend Begins

AGAIN

ONLY TOONAMI REWIND

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CorbeauKarasu said:

was there a 2012 version? do you mean blu-rays or something?

Naruto ran for 52 episodes on Adult Swim Toonami from December 2012 to December 2013. But it was a different edit from this.

This is the original Saturday evening 2005 version!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Naruto ran for 52 episodes on Adult Swim Toonami from December 2012 to December 2013. But it was a different edit from this.

This is the original Saturday evening 2005 version!

it's uncensored, though. the original run didn't include iruka's bloody nose or the blood he coughed onto Naruto's face. probably not the blood coming out of Mizuki's mouth after he was beaten up

• Thanks 1

On 5/31/2024 at 6:00 PM, CorbeauKarasu said:

it's uncensored, though. the original run didn't include iruka's bloody nose or the blood he coughed onto Naruto's face. probably not the blood coming out of Mizuki's mouth after he was beaten up

Then I guess this is actually a brand-new 2024 edition?

Or identical to what Viz streamed and put on DVD?

10 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Then I guess this is actually a brand-new 2024 edition?

Or identical to what Viz streamed and put on DVD?

No? This is the exact same version that aired in 2012. Don’t you remember how they justified the pickup by always calling it UNCUT. The only real difference are small bits of blood here and there. The dub still maintains its safe for CN dialog. 

NARUTO

EPISODE 2

My Name is Konohamaru

Having earned his Leaf Village forehead protector and the acknowledgement of Iruka-sensei, Naruto has drawn the attention of yet another contender - Sarutobi Konohamaru, the Third Hokage's grandson!

ONLY TOONAMI REWIND

• Thanks 1

On 6/7/2024 at 6:49 PM, MasqueradeOverture said:

The charm of the first series man...

Shippuden really lost something in translation.

You are so right.

On 6/7/2024 at 1:07 AM, Toonamiguy321 said:

No? This is the exact same version that aired in 2012. Don’t you remember how they justified the pickup by always calling it UNCUT. The only real difference are small bits of blood here and there. The dub still maintains its safe for CN dialog. 

These are different tapes, based on the HD upscale Viz made for Blu-ray.

The 2012 "uncut" tapes were weird because they still used the edited dub's opening and ending credit roll rather than the original Japanese openings and endings. I can't say I paid that much attention to it but I believe the dialogue was the same as what was on the uncensored DVDs, which mainly meant there were some swear words. I'm guessing back in 2012 Toonami told Viz the show couldn't run with the full OP and ED and rather than shorten those they just slapped the TV dub opening and ending credits in. Now they actually put in the effort to shorten the ED "Wind" like they did for the Sailor Moon ending (and also for the OP and ED of Zom 100).

Hearing "Wind" and "Rocks" on US television for the first time is really nice and it's funny to me that it makes me nostalgic for the days when I was watching fan subbed Naruto before the show even aired on Toonami.

But besides having a version of the Japanese OP and ED they even have the episode previews. All of that is a nice upgrade from the 2012 tapes but the best upgrade by far is the fact that they are properly pillar boxed for 16:9 screens like Kai, HD Outlaw Star, HD Bebop and HD Sailor Moon and aren't stretching the 4:3 video like the 2012 tapes did. The upscale isn't fantastic but it's an early digital paint show made for SD televisions and there's only so much they can do with that to upscale it for modern screens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

NARUTO

EPISODE 3

Sasuke and Sakura: Friends or Foes?

Now officially a Genin of the Village HIdden in the Leaves, Naruto is assigned to a three-man cell with two fresh comrades. Being squadded up with Sakura, Naruto thinks he's caught a lucky break. But with the popular and talented Sasuke in the other slot...maybe luck isn't the right word.

ONLY TOONAMI REWIND

NARUTO

EPISODE 4

PASS OR FAIL: SURVIVAL TEST

The nascent Genin Team 7 comprised of Sasuke, Naruto, and Sakura must face their first test in the form of their Jonin team leader - Kakashi. The Leaf Village has acknowledged them as fully-fledged shinobi, but if they can't cut the mustard with Kakashi, they'll be bumped back down to the academy!! 

ONLY TOONAMI REWIND