UnevenEdge

Sailor Moon on Toonami Rewind Episode 1 Discussion

Sure, the animation is from 1992, but the voices are a lot more new!

Witness the cable premiere of the 2016 re-dub of this anime classic at 5 PM ET this evening (5/31/24), kicking off Toonami Rewind and the weekend!

Only TOONAMI REWIND!!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

It’s weird remembering everyone’s favorite dumpling head essentially started with the same powers as freaking Black Canary.

As easy as it is to rag on this show due to the old dub, the concept, etc, it still has a very bizarre charisma and undeniable charm.  At this point early on it almost feels like a parody of tokusatsu heroes like Kamen Rider and the Super Sentai teams.  Instead of hot blooded guardians of justice, we have a lazy underachieving blonde teen who has exactly the thoughts a blonde teen in the 90s would have. And it’s endearing.

Edited by Jman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It was straight-up surreal actually sitting down and watching Sailor Moon for the first time. Even after one episode I was having a ton of fun. Usagi is a complete idiot and I'm here for it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Top Gun said:

It was straight-up surreal actually sitting down and watching Sailor Moon for the first time. Even after one episode I was having a ton of fun. Usagi is a complete idiot and I'm here for it. 

It's essentially Cher Horowitz getting sucked into a tokusatsu with the cat from Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

It's essentially Cher Horowitz getting sucked into a tokusatsu with the cat from Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

Coincidentally, DiC would later adapt the Sabrina sitcom into animation, complete with Nick Bakay reprising his role as Salem.

7 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Might be why Alicia Silverstone was pegged to play Usagi in a movie at one point a bit after Clueless came out, but it never got off the ground.