UnevenEdge

Demon Slayer Entertainment District Arc Rerun on Toonami Discussion!!

38 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Narcissistic Muscle Mice?!  Tengen is ridiculous!

Yeah, a Tengen arc is not the arc where I would have expected them when we first met him, but they kinda fit somehow! lol

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hinatsuru!  One waifu rescued!

A belt?  Isn't it more of a sash?  Well, I'm sure it has a specific name.

Why would you take the belt from her?!

The sword is already chipped!

• Like 1

A boar monster. 🤣

Inosuke can dislocate all his joints?!  And he's clearly not claustrophobic at all!  Gah!

The belt has a will of its own?!

Lose some weight, worm belt. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Tengen with some great "orders" here.  Glad he got the wives to change their minds.

Head pats for Makio and Suma. 😁

Damn ending outta nowhere after Tengen's posing. 🤣

Polygamist ninjas. 🤣

Edited by ben0119
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

2c4c36938f854f5b0b5d0b0b455e37f1.gif

I know a little bit about animation and how challenging it can be to make a convincing walk cycle and I'm just in awe of the skill that went into this

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

Guess we gotta enjoy this fighting style for the short time that we can given what happens in this fight...

Yeah it sucks.  I thought Tengen would do better.  I'm just glad he didn't die.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, saito34 said:

I know a little bit about animation and how challenging it can be to make a convincing walk cycle and I'm just in awe of the skill that went into this

Yeah, these shots are nuts.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, saito34 said:

It's really good animation.

I had seen a line of thought going around that Demon Slayer is a bad series only held up by its animation, which I don't agree with AT ALL. 

Sure it's made some mistakes and has some weak areas, but the story and characters are done well for the most part.

I think one of the strongest aspects is the sense of danger and struggle, suspense etc.  The victories that do happen feel very hard-won and earned.

Edited by ben0119
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

It's really good animation.

I had seen a line of thought going around that Demon Slayer is a bad series only held up by its animation, which I don't agree with AT ALL. 

Sure it's made some mistakes and has some weak areas, but the story and characters are done well for the most part.

I think one of the strongest aspects is the sense of danger and struggle, suspense etc.  The victories that do happen feel very hard-won and earned.

I had this exact conversation with someone online after watching this arc last year, where I said DS was a very high quality shonen anime for all the reason you mentioned and of course he disagreed and called it average. I honestly don't know if these people just like to play devils advocate, but I cant see how you can call it average or nothing special. For a shonen in particular, I think it does a lot of things incredibly well and with all those things combined, it's hard to deny that it's a way above average show. I specifically mentioned the battles and how they are intricately coordinated, beautifully animated and feel impactful. The writing is no slouch either. It does shonen style battles and systems better than 95% of stuff you see today and holds up against the greats. It might not be an all time great but it's up their on the list imo. Top 20  definitely and probably higher for pure shonen.

Edited by saito34
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/23/2024 at 3:16 AM, ben0119 said:

Daki is hot!  Too bad she's such a beeyotch!

(And for some reason it's hard to find good pictures of her.)

Yeah, she is, even aside from the flower tattoos on the face, for some reason don't really care for tattoos let alone such prominent ones.

But still....damn girl!

But also, yeah, she's also such a beeyotch!

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 1

On 6/23/2024 at 3:00 AM, saito34 said:

I had this exact conversation with someone online after watching this arc last year, where I said DS was a very high quality shonen anime for all the reason you mentioned and of course he disagreed and called it average. I honestly don't know if these people just like to play devils advocate, but I cant see how you can call it average or nothing special. For a shonen in particular, I think it does a lot of things incredibly well and with all those things combined, it's hard to deny that it's a way above average show. I specifically mentioned the battles and how they are intricately coordinated, beautifully animated and feel impactful. The writing is no slouch either. It does shonen style battles and systems better than 95% of stuff you see today and holds up against the greats. It might not be an all time great but it's up their on the list imo. Top 20  definitely and probably higher for pure shonen.

Yeah, I have some quibbles with how some characters are handled, like Nezuko (though she had a good showing in this arc,) but things are mostly well-executed.  

As just one example, the fights have a real sense of peril and danger.  If Tanjiro or anyone else gets seriously injured in a fight, it can take them a long time to recover and it may affect their performance in future fights. 

Characters we thought were invincible and would be a part of the action going forward, might die or be permanently injured, like Rengoku and Tengen.

So, there's no healing up just like new for the next fight, as you often see in other Shonens.