UnevenEdge

Toonami spring schedule change predictions and speculation

5 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

With S8 not coming this year, I have to assume the anime will run where S8 normally would starting in mid October. I assume the network foolishly still believes R&M is still at its relevancy levels from S3 and any Rick thing they shovel out is gonna do amazing. And they will be in for a rude awakening. This doesn’t appeal to anime fans, and it doesn’t move the plot needle of R&M any either so that fanbase won’t care either. From what we have seen from the teaser, it looks pretty bad visually too, so I’m not really sure who they are shooting for audience wise here. 

Even if it’s a ratings killer I’d be fine if it aired before the block, because that means we still have another slot to play with. Ideally, after the block would be the least harmful place but I doubt we will be so lucky. As for the promo, I wouldn’t say that’s a guarantee for a Toonami run because they have been shoehorning that in all over AS on major premiers. 

Without a doubt, AS will expect huge things out of it. That fan base didn’t even like the  changes of s7, you think they’ll be receptive to this?  I guess they will have plot elements like the other Beth, but I seriously doubt it’ll tie into the main shows storyline 

Ultimately, my main fear is they’ll force it to the block because they don’t want to have the slot to deal with and not much else. But it’ll be a subbed show that probably aired days ago and it’ll have both things working against it 

I’m somewhat expecting a Thursday premiere, Friday on Max, encores on Saturday and Sunday but with no season 8 this year they might premiere it on Sunday which would mean the Saturday encores would be essentially a week behind.

6 minutes ago, Sketch said:

I’m somewhat expecting a Thursday premiere, Friday on Max, encores on Saturday and Sunday but with no season 8 this year they might premiere it on Sunday which would mean the Saturday encores would be essentially a week behind.

That’s going to be an issue for them if they are expecting it to lead the block. It being available for a week means the main audience for the show will have already tuned in and seen it multiple ways. That plus it being subbed means it already has that going against it

it is kind of sad that anything with the remotely wide appeal can’t premiere on Toonami because it’s on Saturday night. But they also won’t ever take the branding outside of Saturday either 

2 hours ago, brianycpht said:

That’s going to be an issue for them if they are expecting it to lead the block. It being available for a week means the main audience for the show will have already tuned in and seen it multiple ways. That plus it being subbed means it already has that going against it

it is kind of sad that anything with the remotely wide appeal can’t premiere on Toonami because it’s on Saturday night. But they also won’t ever take the branding outside of Saturday either 

They kinda did on Black Friday night in 2021 during Blade Runner: Black Lotus's run.

3 hours ago, brianycpht said:

I remember when they tried airing my hero academia as something to close out the nightly programming for adultswim Monday-Friday   However they couldn’t even get through the third season before removing it from the lineup  

5 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

I remember when they tried airing my hero academia as something to close out the nightly programming for adultswim Monday-Friday   However they couldn’t even get through the third season before removing it from the lineup  

As cutting edge as AS seems to some people, they don’t really give things a chance for very long with the nightly lineup before reverting to playing it safe again 

37 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

As cutting edge as AS seems to some people, they don’t really give things a chance for very long with the nightly lineup before reverting to playing it safe again 

It’s a shame because I don’t think anime should just be relegated to graveyard slots on Saturday especially when adultswim struggles to fill time slots Monday-Friday without using multiple bobs burgers American dad and king of the hill episodes 

5 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

It’s a shame because I don’t think anime should just be relegated to graveyard slots on Saturday especially when adultswim struggles to fill time slots Monday-Friday without using multiple bobs burgers American dad and king of the hill episodes 

I don’t think it ever did well on weeknights in the early years, but they were forced to rely on it because there just wasn’t enough episodes of their originals to fill out a schedule. Not even AD had enough to strip out until it got to like season 3 or 4. Hell, I don’t think they doubled up on FG until they lost Futurama 

8 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

There still isn’t enough episodes of most original content so they gotta pad out the schedule with koth/bobs/Ad  which ends up making adultswim look very repetitive and boring 

They have enough episodes to have a different show every half hour but most won’t please advertisers the way FOX reruns do so they limit the originals to a few hours a night and tend to avoid doing anything interesting outside of the DVR theater slots and Toonami.

05:00 - Dexter’s Lab

05:30 - Courage

06:00 - Cow & Chicken

06:30 - Samurai Jack

07:00 - Space Ghost C2C

07:30 - Home Movies

08:00 - King of the Hill

08:30 - Bob’s Burgers

09:00 - American Dad

09:30 - Futurama

10:00 - Robot Chicken

10:30 - Comedy Rotation

11:00 - Rick & Morty

11:30 - Smiling Friends

11:45 - YOLO

12:00 - Primal / Action Rotation

12:30 - Anime Rotation

01:00 - The Boondocks

01:30 - The Venture Bros.

02:00 - Mike Tyson Mysteries

02:30 - Aqua Teen

03:00 - Squidbillies

03:30 - Metalocalypse

04:00 - Superjail

04:15 - Mr. Pickles

04:30 - Morel Orel

04:45 - The Shivering Truth

05:00 - The Eric Andre Show

05:15 - Your Pretty Face

05:30 - Tim & Eric

05:45 - Tom Goes to the Mayor

Edited by Sketch

6 hours ago, Sketch said:

They have enough episodes to have a different show every half hour but most won’t please advertisers the way FOX reruns do so they limit the originals to a few hours a night and tend to avoid doing anything interesting outside of the DVR theater slots and Toonami.

05:00 - Dexter’s Lab

05:30 - Courage

06:00 - Cow & Chicken

06:30 - Samurai Jack

07:00 - Space Ghost C2C

07:30 - Home Movies

08:00 - King of the Hill

08:30 - Bob’s Burgers

09:00 - American Dad

09:30 - Futurama

10:00 - Robot Chicken

10:30 - Comedy Rotation

11:00 - Rick & Morty

11:30 - Smiling Friends

11:45 - YOLO

12:00 - Primal / Action Rotation

12:30 - Anime Rotation

01:00 - The Boondocks

01:30 - The Venture Bros.

02:00 - Mike Tyson Mysteries

02:30 - Aqua Teen

03:00 - Squidbillies

03:30 - Metalocalypse

04:00 - Superjail

04:15 - Mr. Pickles

04:30 - Morel Orel

04:45 - The Shivering Truth

05:00 - The Eric Andre Show

05:15 - Your Pretty Face

05:30 - Tim & Eric

05:45 - Tom Goes to the Mayor

What’s funny is that with every expansion earlier into prime time, there was always talk of them airing different things, but it always just ends up being KOTH. 

The FOX shows raise the bar to a level that the originals can’t meet and many of them can’t really strike a tone that’s going to capture that wider audience. They wouldn’t have gone that deep into prime time without having those shows. I fully expect them to bring back FG as soon as they are legally able since there seems to be a shift in strategy over at the Disney owned networks 

On 4/22/2024 at 12:05 AM, Toonamiguy321 said:

Good catch with Superman, another two part start would help them buy a bit more time for MHA. 

Can’t say I agree with AoT for Memorial Day. I think they (and the audience) has put AoT behind them. While Superman really could do with a refresher course before the new season starts. 

I think IGPX will come back this year, but a little differently. With the newfound decay in expectations, I have returned to my earlier suspicion that DBZ will be the show replacing Naruto as the eternal 2a show. When that happens, IGPX will tag in and grab 2:30. 

Rick anime will be tricky. If they lead with it like you theorize, Toonami ratings are going straight down across the board. If they care about anything they acquired, I doubt they will want that. So Rick has to go somewhere else. Either a 3am run or some other time on Saturday that isn’t officially Toonami but is far enough away to not do too much damage. 

They didn’t seem too confident on it making 2024. And I don’t believe any AS original that didn’t have CR involved met its originally stated deadline. Plus it’s to their benefit to take a little extra time purely to give 2025 at least one piece of content to aspire to. Until we hear otherwise, Lazarus is the last original on deck. 

If we go get a MAWS marathon, I guess I'll have to tape it and use it as my own crash course. I didn't bother doing so with the premiere run, mostly because I taped the entire run of Unicorn only to not watch it after hearing people say it's mid.

Do we think there's any chance Boruto could return after Shippuden ends? I bet Viz could give them a sweetheart deal on it if they really wanted to. Or they could rely on Kai, because at this point the numbers are low enough back there that I doubt whatever they'd air would make a difference.

I could see Rickanime airing pre-Toonami on Saturdays, maybe at 11:30 (just like Black Dynamite S2 back in the day) or earlier. Remember when they aired a one-off new episode of Smiling Friends on a Saturday at 11:00? Wonder if that was intended as a test for things to come...

5 hours ago, brianycpht said:

What’s funny is that with every expansion earlier into prime time, there was always talk of them airing different things, but it always just ends up being KOTH. 

The FOX shows raise the bar to a level that the originals can’t meet and many of them can’t really strike a tone that’s going to capture that wider audience. They wouldn’t have gone that deep into prime time without having those shows. I fully expect them to bring back FG as soon as they are legally able since there seems to be a shift in strategy over at the Disney owned networks 

My problem Is it feels like adultswim is becoming more and more just background noise the network that this Could be any other network and nothing would be different  

1 hour ago, Blatch said:

Do we think there's any chance Boruto could return after Shippuden ends? I bet Viz could give them a sweetheart deal on it if they really wanted to. Or they could rely on Kai, because at this point the numbers are low enough back there that I doubt whatever they'd air would make a difference.

I’d rather they just sacrifice the slot to Kai rather than waste money on Boruto. They already know the audience doesn’t like it, so why get it back? Getting One Piece back was bad enough. 

Just now, Toonamiguy321 said:

I’d rather they just sacrifice the slot to Kai rather than waste money on Boruto. They already know the audience doesn’t like it, so why get it back? Getting One Piece back was bad enough. 

Not happening. The head of programming knows its audience poison. They may try and justify it by saying it was confusing because they hadn’t finished Naruto yet, but you really don’t need to know that much 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

It’s more likely they’d get rid of that time slot entirely 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

It’s more likely they’d get rid of that time slot entirely 

Get rid of 2am? I find that unlikely unless things get incredibly dire. I have no doubt 3am will go sooner or later, but I don’t think Toonami will ever fall under 6 slots. 

Real talk though, if the choice was given to me, either cut a slot or put Boruto back on, that slot is getting cut. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Get rid of 2am? I find that unlikely unless things get incredibly dire. I have no doubt 3am will go sooner or later, but I don’t think Toonami will ever fall under 6 slots. 

Real talk though, if the choice was given to me, either cut a slot or put Boruto back on, that slot is getting cut. 

Regardless of what’s in that time slot nobody’s gonna watch it.   Fewer and fewer people watch toonami each year so why pretend that isn’t the case?   There’s little chance a new show gets that time slot and keeping it around just for more DBZ Kai Reruns seems silly  

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Like 1

I’d genuinely rather have double One Piece forever than Boruto or more Dragon Ball. Shocker, I know. xD

But this is what Toonami should look like going forward

12:00 - Original / Big Acquisition

12:30 - Newer Acquisition

01:00 - Newer Acquisition

01:30 - Older Acquisition

02:00 - One Piece

02:30 - DBZ Kai

Try to fill the first 1.5 hours with 3-6 month long shows and the 1:30 slot with shows that run 6 months to a year or longer

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

Regardless of what’s in that time slot nobody’s gonna watch it.   Fewer and fewer people watch toonami each year so why pretend that isn’t the case?   There’s little chance a new show gets that time slot and keeping it around just for more DBZ Kai Reruns seems silly  

They already bought Kai, so it’s going to air somewhere whether we like it or not. Again, I can’t see them dropping the block below 6 slots, unless it’s the day they drop it to 0 slots. So with that in mind, I’d rather Kai just take that time rather than Boruto. Either way, the slot is gone for good, but at least this way they aren’t wasting money on Boruto.

44 minutes ago, Sketch said:

I’d genuinely rather have double One Piece forever than Boruto or more Dragon Ball. Shocker, I know. xD

Try to fill the first 1.5 hours with 3-6 month long shows and the 1:30 slot with shows that run 6 months to a year or longer

That’s the ideal scenario but unlikely to be what happens because I just have zero faith in their ability to keep 4 rotating slots going for the whole year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

I agree on how it should be, but I wonder how old a show at 1:30 is allowed to be.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Idea Box said:

I agree on how it should be, but I wonder how old a show at 1:30 is allowed to be.

The block missed a lot of gems over its years due to lack of space, I’d say a cutoff of 2012 would leave them plenty of viable options without dipping into the super old looking/poorly dubbed 90s and 00s stuff. Stuff like AssClass is a good baseline for what to aim for, and has evidence that a show of that age and wide availability can still succeed on the block. 

• Like 1

I think many people here have this assumption that toonami can do much better than boruto at that time slot.    It’s 2024 and I don’t think that’s true.   Maybe when companies were eager to be on toonami and any time slot was a good time slot but now? I just don’t know who’d be interested in lending out a show for the barely anyones awake time slot 

Edited by CountFrylock

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

I think many people here have this assumption that toonami can do much better than boruto at that time slot.    It’s 2024 and I don’t think that’s true.   Maybe when companies were eager to be on toonami and any time slot was a good time slot but now? I just don’t know who’d be interested in lending out a show for the barely anyones awake time slot 

Which is why I said, just stick Kai there. You are right, they probably don’t have the resources needed to keep 4 slots on rotation. So if the only two options on the table are Boruto or Kai, just give it to Kai and focus those resources that would have went into Boruto into making sure the first 90 minutes of Toonami is watchable. Aniplex has plenty of 1:30a material in their catalog. 

• Like 1

It’s entirely possible One Piece is more affordable than Kai, in which case it only makes sense to double it up instead but regardless they should focus on keeping 12-1:30 worth watching. 2:30 should be the lowest priority and they can certainly fill it with a rerun that doesn’t cost anything starting with IGPX season 2. I seem to recall a lot of us rationalized Kai was Shippuden’s replacement joining early. So let it be so.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sketch said:

It’s entirely possible One Piece is more affordable than Kai, in which case it only makes sense to double it up instead but regardless they should focus on keeping 12-1:30 worth watching. 2:30 should be the lowest priority and they can certainly fill it with a rerun that doesn’t cost anything starting with IGPX season 2. I seem to recall a lot of us rationalized Kai was Shippuden’s replacement joining early. So let it be so.

This is how I envision it

12 - new 12-26 episode series (or original when applicable) 

12:30 - new 12-26 episode series

1 - new 12-26 episode series 

1:30 - One Piece

2 - Kai

2:30 - whatever rerun they are feeling 

Sure, could be better, but I think this is the absolute best case scenario we could ask for, and at least some parts of the year would have double OP taking over 1. If we can just keep 90 minutes good it still kinda feels worthwhile to tune in every week. 

• Like 1

Watching one piece on toonami is frustrating because even at two episodes per week. It’ll be years before The Next Story line… things became less frustrating when I started streaming it on crunchyroll. I could get a couple episodes in and then switch to something else     Honestly if I had never switched to streaming I realize I wouldn’t have been able to watch Frieren spy family or chainsaw man whatsoever 

• Like 1
  • D'oh 1