UnevenEdge

The eradication of Fena, Black Lotus, Close Enough, Final Space, etc. continues

Sketch

All these and more have now been entirely removed for purchase on digital stores. That was the only remaining legal way to watch them (except for Fena and Black Lotus in Japanese on Crunchyroll).

Oddly enough you can still buy Megas XLR and Sym-Bionic Titan on iTunes/Apple TV. I guess they were lucky to be written off before the streaming age changed which distribution rights are a affected by tax right offs.

• Thanks 1

Not surprised about the cartoons, but I am surprised about Fena and Black Lotus. The way I interpreted what Demarco said about them was that AS washed their hands of them because they couldn’t come to an agreement with Crunchyroll. I assumed that meant Crunchyroll would still keep them in their backlog of forgettable originals. Do we know if any other CR originals are being erased? Or is it exclusively the AS associated ones? 

Id say this should probably be taken as an early warning sign for Shenmue which will probably meet this same fate soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Not surprised about the cartoons, but I am surprised about Fena and Black Lotus. The way I interpreted what Demarco said about them was that AS washed their hands of them because they couldn’t come to an agreement with Crunchyroll. I assumed that meant Crunchyroll would still keep them in their backlog of forgettable originals. Do we know if any other CR originals are being erased? Or is it exclusively the AS associated ones? 

Id say this should probably be taken as an early warning sign for Shenmue which will probably meet this same fate soon. 

I didn’t say they were no longer on Crunchyroll.

Fena, Black Lotus and Shenmue are still streaming on Crunchyroll in Japanese. Black Lotus also has a Spanish dub on CR but the other two do not.

The English dubs of the first two were still available to buy as VOD and direct download on iTunes, Amazon and Vudu until now. Black Lotus was also still rerunning on Adult Swim Canada until about September.

39 minutes ago, Sketch said:

I didn’t say they were no longer on Crunchyroll.

Fena, Black Lotus and Shenmue are still streaming on Crunchyroll in Japanese. Black Lotus also has a Spanish dub on CR but the other two do not.

The English dubs of the first two were still available to buy as VOD and direct download on iTunes, Amazon and Vudu until now. Black Lotus was also still rerunning on Adult Swim Canada until about September.

So then the English version isn’t on CR then? Weird but they aren’t completely erased at least. 

22 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I wonder if the door is open for Discotek to rescue these shows somehow?

At any rate, tax write-off laws need to change. Maybe Gen Z will be up to the challenge?

It’s a hard challenge to meet. If the rules are too forgiving, companies will mass write off everything that isn’t their top shows and pick them back up later. I think the way it is now is fine, it forces companies to decide they are absolutely certain they are done with a show before they write it off. Before Zaslav, CN and AS weren’t really writing anything off. If I’m remembering right, the last write off was Thundercats/SBT/Beware the Batman.