UnevenEdge

It's my 10-year Toonamiversary!

Blatch

It was a decade ago tonight when, after having subsisted on a diet of mostly dubbed Yu-Gi-Oh!, I decided to break into the big leagues and willingly watch Toonami. And yeah, my reason for this was Sword Art Online. Just like everyone else! At the time, I had no idea what an ASMB was or how it and its successor forum would alter my brain chemistry.

Here's what the bumps looked like back then:

TOM 5 actually looks weird to me now. A little too clean and shiny (but perversely, with some scratches), and the proportions look off. But I think he's cool, and the 2013-era packaging is still gritty as hell.

So getting back to the main topic, my mom ended up catching me watching anime in the middle of the night, which was hardcore behavior for 15-year-old me. I mean, it's about as hardcore as I've ever done, sorta pulling all-nighters. Back then, Toonami was an odyssey of animation. I started off going to sleep for a little while before Toonami (though I've gone looking through files I saved that night, and it might not be the case; I presumably got about 45 minutes in), but in one case it caused me to miss a huge chunk of the episode. I eventually got into the habit of staying up and either watching the shows that came on before SAO or doing something else. Good thing I eventually caught on and started watching other shows. And then I started actively chatting during them, which lead to a lot of debauched fun on Twitter and elsewhere circa the mid-2010s. Ironically, some of my exploits had to do with one guy's overbearing love for SAO to the point of blocking people who shat on it. Glad I eventually became neutral on the franchise, though it's not like I'm willing to go to bat for it nowadays. I even tried to get back in via Alicization, though I only watched the premiere before I went back to saying that Log Horizon is better in spite of having not watched it in years. I don't even know if that's true. :RoboWink:

Now, since this post feels a little weird otherwise, here's an [as] black-and-white bump announcing Toonami's acquisition of SAO. You know, the thing they seemingly don't do anymore?

Well, both of them. Funnily enough, it doesn't mention Toonami at all. Wonder how many people here know that there was a time where they did this? It happened with Soul Eater, too.

Sadly, I am not currently watching anything on this accursed block (I haven't even bothered to tape My Adventures with Superman, even after learning people actually enjoy it), and my livetweeting (or is it live-Xing now?) skills are washed up, but hey: I'm glad this block is still around and blowing minds on an... occasional basis. Maybe FLCL Grunge will do it for someone, I don't know. If nothing else, I'm just glad you are still around, you crazy UEMBers, an amazing oasis in the current reality known as "the Internet is made of four websites, all of which are barely functional", and hopefully this topic has dredged up some of your fondest memories watching Toonami. Here's to many more. Maybe ten more? Even if Toonami or even [adult swim] isn't around by then, I'm sure we'll still be the definitive online resource for all things Totally Spies!.

[stay gold]

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

2013 - 2016 was the revival block's peak.

Indeed it was, if only for the fact that they had just about every type of show in terms of popularity airing, from great catalog titles to the obligatory megahit premieres. Not to mention the stylistic variety, which soon got stamped out in favor of Shonen Jump the whole way down.

10 hours ago, Blatch said:

Indeed it was, if only for the fact that they had just about every type of show in terms of popularity airing, from great catalog titles to the obligatory megahit premieres. Not to mention the stylistic variety, which soon got stamped out in favor of Shonen Jump the whole way down.

I gotta rewatch Space Dandy one of these days (that shit was so ahead of its time).

• Thanks 2