UnevenEdge

Orcas attacking boats and biting off the rudders.

The more you dive into the rabbithole the more...contradicting view points you get of course...For some reason even the marine biologist aboard that yacht that sank described their behavior as "playful and not aggressive" when the orca and I quote: "put a hole in the stern by breaking off and swimming away with a piece of the rudder." Seems like everyone involved realizes killing them isn't the answer at least.

Well besides greedy fishermen/poacher types, and multi-million dollar franchises like Sea World. 

Just now, SuperWastedOnLife said:

I guess the Japanese were right after all.

10499996-1db4-4643-b39d-fcb16a9f715e_tex

(This is a joke; please don't take this seriously.)

You made a whole account for the joke? Not going to judge I guess, but Japanese whalers tend to go for less tactically adept species than Orca anyway. Dolhpins Minke and Bryde whales. Orcas have the killer monicker for a reason. The Orca is one of a lot of animals that don't have much to fear for spiritual reasons etc as I understand.

Like this samurai crab. 

The-Samurai-Crab-Heikea-japonica-Image-c

Also in the spirit of being a fountain of knowledge or whatever.. I think I found an interesting way to take this thread. Wild Cetacions working together with humans in large scale fishing operations... Surprisingly it's not unheard of, and it's even tradition for both species to work together in some areas.

https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/history-culture/2012/10/edens-killer-whales-helping-human-hunters/#:~:text=Killer whales help whalers hunt their targets&text=Once a whale was dead,1929 orcas were rarely seen.

1 hour ago, SuperWastedOnLife said:

I guess the Japanese were right after all.

10499996-1db4-4643-b39d-fcb16a9f715e_tex

(This is a joke; please don't take this seriously.)

I need to watch Southpark more... but I honestly lost a lot of interest in it after like age 11...There is an arguable context to this joke as japanese fisherman/whalers really do reel in an skewer a lot of shit most other nations are trying to keep off the table and protect. I definitely aint mad bro, but if you wont do it allow me to go off on this anecdote..

https://phys.org/news/2019-06-decades-japan-courts-controversy-resuming.html

4 hours ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

The more you dive into the rabbithole the more...contradicting view points you get of course...For some reason even the marine biologist aboard that yacht that sank described their behavior as "playful and not aggressive" when the orca and I quote: "put a hole in the stern by breaking off and swimming away with a piece of the rudder." Seems like everyone involved realizes killing them isn't the answer at least.

Well besides greedy fishermen/poacher types, and multi-million dollar franchises like Sea World. 

We all know that one kid who gets over zealous and plays too hard.  Me, I was that one kid that kicked ppl in the shins 😅 and dragged ppl to the ground...IT WAS A SHORT PERIOD IN MY LIFE I SWEAR!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/19/2023 at 10:53 PM, Vela said:

We all know that one kid who gets over zealous and plays too hard.  Me, I was that one kid that kicked ppl in the shins 😅 and dragged ppl to the ground...IT WAS A SHORT PERIOD IN MY LIFE I SWEAR!

Yes, but with even scientist agreeing it's a learned behavior even if it's just a juvenile show for clout like a teenager stealing a road sign or no skateboarding sign.. When that trophy is a boat rudder lol... I'm pretty sure they know they're disabling boats, and the theories about them keeping people off their hunting grounds, and striking back against humans killing or kidnapping their young seems equally plausible to me..,even more likely.

If this was just a case of some juvenile whales playing rough I don't think there would be so many cases of boats being spun 180 degrees whith a whale homed in and targeting the rudder lol.. 

I'm on the whales side anyway especially as a land lover here I don't see myself ever even being on any type of vehicle traversing the sea where this could happen, but at any rate it's awesome to see so many people caught up in the battle, or game..if you're some disney fuck Sea World loving...that not only give Orcas a wide birth, but agree that even if they were attacking their boats they have plenty reason to exhibit the behavior.. 

Edited by PhilosipherStoned
  • Like 1

On 3/21/2023 at 7:06 PM, PhilosipherStoned said:

Yes, but with even scientist agreeing it's a learned behavior even if it's just a juvenile show for clout like a teenager stealing a road sign or no skateboarding sign.. When that trophy is a boat rudder lol... I'm pretty sure they know they're disabling boats, and the theories about them keeping people off their hunting grounds, and striking back against humans killing or kidnapping their young seems equally plausible to me..,even more likely.

If this was just a case of some juvenile whales playing rough I don't think there would be so many cases of boats being spun 180 degrees whith a whale homed in and targeting the rudder lol.. 

I'm on the whales side anyway especially as a land lover here I don't see myself ever even being on any type of vehicle traversing the sea where this could happen, but at any rate it's awesome to see so many people caught up in the battle, or game..if you're some disney fuck Sea World loving...that not only give Orcas a wide birth, but agree that even if they were attacking their boats they have plenty reason to exhibit the behavior.. 

I'm on their side too.  They've identified a threat and are doing their best to eliminate it.  "Now Junior, that's what we call a mistake...we beach those.  Send it back whence it came."

• Like 2

On 3/19/2023 at 10:53 PM, Vela said:

Hey, I was that kid, too! (Well, to some degree, anyway.) No wonder we get along so well!

• Haha 1

On 3/21/2023 at 8:11 PM, PhilosipherStoned said:

This channel definitely inspired this thread, and regularly explores new scientific data surrounding Orcas... This might not be the vid I'm looking for, but I want to deviate into Orcas challanging great white territory and leaving their cadavers relatively intact without livers..

Laws of the Land.  Orca: What laws?

Watching them sink the seals together.  Impressive.  And we most certainly are just skinny hairless seals to them, why think otherwise?  Even murderous psychopathic people look human from the outside XD

• Like 1

Hmm time for an animal fight Orca vs. Great White... I'm almost typsy so cheers......This guy, and his accent. Let's see if this vid. lives up to it's description. 

uggh fuck this guy I guess I'll post the vid for posterity, but what even is this accent..idk sorry. Nope fuck that guy, and his video. Here's the OG's at National Geographic with the delivery I guess.. 

I stand corrected fuck your seven gills stop clickbaiting NG.

4 minutes ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

Actual footage of Orcas hunting Great whites is scarce since it's a relatively new item on the menu I guess lol. Let's try this.

Orca's gotta eat.  Personally I liked hearing them communicate rather than listening to a narrator. 

• Like 1

Killer Whales are known to toy with prey and some hypothesis that they are literally playing around because they are smart and bored. Could be a strategic hunting tactic but it is more than likely just giant predatory tomfoolery. 

Maybe they just saw the boat as a giant toy. They are certainly not trying to be righteous because nature is much more obscene than that.. 

1 minute ago, atomicinumatt said:

Killer Whales are known to toy with prey and some hypothesis that they are literally playing around because they are smart and bored. Could be a strategic hunting tactic but it is more than likely just giant predatory tomfoolery. 

Maybe they just saw the boat as a giant toy. They are certainly not trying to be righteous because nature is much more obscene than that.. 

The poetic justice for me comes from multiple reasons... First off let me start with the fisherman vs. Orca battle going on around spain... The vid in the OP explains that the Orca there ARE doing battle with humans, and they are either redirecting boats away from their hunting grounds then breaking the rudder or sinking the vessel altogether...That population that is eating rudders around Spain is critically endangered and also fighting large scale fishing operations for their main source of food. That entire population only consists of 80 whales, and is critically endangered though.

The second point, and what hits me most though comes from watching the 'Blackfish' documentary on prime vid...Sea world type organizations apparently jacked a whole number of Orca children, Cordoned off the parents/rest of the pod and also reeled in filled with heavy metal and sank any adult orca corpses that fought to stop the operation.  That one named Tilicom or whatever that killed 3 people was used as a genetic male sire to most captive sea entertainment Orcas you'll find anywhere.

Shit is pretty crazy...

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

The poetic justice for me comes from multiple reasons... First off let me start with the fisherman vs. Orca battle going on around spain... The vid in the OP explains that the Orca there ARE doing battle with humans, and they are either redirecting boats away from their hunting grounds then breaking the rudder or sinking the vessel altogether...That population that is eating rudders around Spain is critically endangered and also fighting large scale fishing operations for their main source of food. That entire population only consists of 80 whales, and is critically endangered though.

The second point, and what hits me most though comes from watching the 'Blackfish' documentary on prime vid...Sea world type organizations apparently jacked a whole number of Orca children, Cordoned off the parents/rest of the pod and also reeled in filled with heavy metal and sank any adult orca corpses that fought to stop the operation.  That one named Tilicom or whatever that killed 3 people was used as a genetic male sire to most captive sea entertainment Orcas you'll find anywhere.

Shit is pretty crazy...

They are super smart apex predators. Trying to imply intricate reason behind their behavior is not necessarily viable. If they wanted, they could breach the hull of the vessel and sink it out right. They know what they are doing. 

They have been extensively document behavior of playing with what they see as prey. That is more than likely what is going on when they chase boats and steal rudders.

They real question is why. Are they just having fun or is it a part of how they hunt and teach their young to hunt. It could just be sport to them, or even vengeance, but more than likely a sort of predatory tactic. Notice that in the videos the attacking whales appear to be adolescence. 

Edited by atomicinumatt
  • Thanks 1

Just now, atomicinumatt said:

They are super smart apex predators. Trying to imply intricate reason behind their behavior is not necessarily viable. If they wanted, they could breach the hull of the vessel and sink it out right. They know what they are doing. 

They have extensively document behavior of playing with what they see as prey. That is more than likely what is going on when they chase boats and steal rudders.

They real question is why. Are they just having fun or is it a part of how they hunt and teach their young to hunt. It could just be sport to them, or even vengeance, but more than likely a sort of predatory tactic. Notice that in the videos the attacking whales appear to be adolescence. 

I mean anything they do can be considered playful that's why Seaworld jacked them in the first place. *face palms*  You know what I'm up to see more Orca Vs.human death either way though lol. There are a lot of researchers that try to give them wide birth. With that post you seem like one of the reseachers that was on this fragile ass vessel though lol.

39 minutes ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

Actual footage of Orcas hunting Great whites is scarce since it's a relatively new item on the menu I guess lol. Let's try this.

Remind me to stay as far away from the ocean as humanly possible.

• Thanks 1

I mean anything they do can be considered playful that's why Seaworld jacked them in the first place. *face palms*  You know what I'm up to see more Orca Vs.human death either way though lol. There are a lot of researchers that try to give them wide birth. With that post you seem like one of the reseachers that was on this fragile ass vessel though lol.

I mean that very video says that "They seemed playful and swam away"

It is either a tactical predatory teaching method or they were straight up having fun.. 

EDIT and I would never go into the deep ocean on a fiber glass hull lmao

Edited by atomicinumatt

10 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

I mean that very video says that "They seemed playful and swam away"

It is either a tactical predatory teaching method or they were straight up having fun.. 

Cool, but if your part of the crew I aint getting on that boat lol. I aint getting on a boat with anyone involved with the video either. It's very likely they had a contingency plan if that dumb ass yaht sank... If you have to have a contingency plan for some "playful" sea animals you better re-evualute a lot of things is all I'm saying. 

I might be a land-loving dude that's never sailed, but one of  the sergeants while I was in wanted me to first mate his shit. A lot of shit translates from aviation to nautical, but.....

FAT NOPE BRUH///

2 minutes ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

Cool, but if your part of the crew I aint getting on that boat lol. I aint getting on a boat with anyone involved with the video either. It's very likely they had a contingency plan if that dumb ass yaht sank... If you have to have a contingency plan for some "playful" sea animals you better re-evualute a lot of things is all I'm saying. 

I might be a land-loving dude that's never sailed, but one of sergeants while I was in wanted me to first mate his shit. A lot of shit translates from aviation to nautical, but.....

FAT NOPE BRUH///

Duh haha

Never go into deep sea with a fiber glass vessel!

8 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

Duh haha

Never go into deep sea with a fiber glass vessel!

Yeah that thing really didn't stand a chance against any kind of whale fucking with it... A few dolphins probably could've punted that one in a diff. direction but the point is still that only Orcas seem to responsible for the kind of "whale encounters" that I'm talking about... 

I posted videos of freaking decade veteran sailors shitting themselves with just one Orca fucking with them. *shakes finger*

1 minute ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

Yeah that thing really didn't stand a chance against any kind of whale fucking with it... A few dolphins probably could've punted that one in a diff. direction but the point is still that only Orcas seem to responsible for the kind of "whale encounters" that I'm talking about... 

I posted videos of freaking decade veteran sailors shitting themselves with just one Orca fucking with them. *shakes finger*

Yea Killer Whales are one of the top apex mammalian predators in the ocean and their behavior and interactions are very misunderstood, even today. 

Just now, atomicinumatt said:

Yea Killer Whales are one of the top apex mammalian predators in the ocean and their behavior and interactions are very misunderstood, even today. 

Right misunderstood how my man. I feel the Orcas involved with my thread were communicating pretty clearly... 

It's just they werent exactly playfully pushing shit around either.

Right misunderstood how my man. I feel the Orcas involved with my thread were communicating pretty clearly... 

It's just they werent exactly playfully pushing shit around either.

Their behavior is not well understood. Simple as that. 

Were they playing, teaching their young, retaliating, etc., we do not know.. 

4 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

Their behavior is not well understood. Simple as that. 

Were they playing, teaching their young, retaliating, etc., we do not know.. 

Though science is my ground. I do have to say. “Blackfish” is a popular name given to orcas by the First Nations, indigenous peoples in western Canada that, above all, respect orcas as they are “animals that have great spiritual power.”

and with me at least that tells ME enough. :|

Though science is my ground. I do have to say. “Blackfish” is a popular name given to orcas by the First Nations, indigenous peoples in western Canada that, above all, respect orcas as they are “animals that have great spiritual power.”

and with me at least that tells ME enough. :|

Ah yes, the same species that deifies things they do not understand, deifies another part of something they probably do not understand. 

EDIT: I cannot spell!..

Edited by atomicinumatt
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

So since we moved on to hip hop, I for some reason was reminded of the amazing Immortal Technique. I do not really agree with this opinions and politics but his music was good a fuck haha 

Sorry to derail but I have ADHD and this just popped into my head. 

Why him though...DWTD is a good jam... It's just like as far as hip hop goes you are posting 50's music...

wait I'll help you

Why him though...DWTD is a good jam... It's just like as far as hip hop goes you are posting 50's music...

Because that track is timeless, and a warning for anyone that is temped by the streets.. It is as relevant today as it was ~25 years ago. Maybe even more so today. 

• Like 1