UnevenEdge

My Hero Academia remains doubled up for a 4th week in a row for 3/25

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

They Probably have plans that require this....i doubt they'd be speed-running through MHA S6 if they had nothing set to replace it

if they had nothing on board  they'd simply double up one piece and call it a day

The elephant in the room is why not just move MHA to 12:30 and air whatever they are clearly trying to clear the lead slot for right now at midnight? I could see maybe landing something they think warrants 12, but when they already have an open timeslot, why not extend their mileage out of MHA as a 12:30 show? 

Im kind of starting to wonder if this is just some petty game with Crunchyroll to narrow MHA down to the dub gap we saw from S3-S5. We did have that 4 week S5 rerun stall session back in November, and 4 weeks of double ups eliminates the gap that created. 

• Like 1

The interesting thing is this CAN'T go on for THAT much longer! We're on episodes aired in January 2023 in Japan now and this will be the first 2 from February airing in 2 weeks. In fact, the first 2023 thing Toonami aired was actually the 12:30 episode last week, which premiered in Japan on 1/2/23 by my math. Of course it was overshadowed by the hype of the One Piece Crossover special, so it kind of happened quietly.

The years of the animation in the shows in terms of when it first premiered to the world in some form is as follows, on March 18th and going forward:

12 & 12:30 AM MHA - 2023

1 AM Food Wars 5th Plate - 2020

1:30 AM One Piece - 2013

2 AM Naruto Shippuden - 2015

2:30 AM PRIMAL - 2022

Of course, if things continue at this pace, MHA will catch up to the Japanese airing by the end of April (assuming there are still any episodes left), so there must be something to break the monotony. And that something will probably be the AOT special, which we are likely to see premiere in early April, keeping the first hour of the block 2023-fresh and pre-empting Food Wars 5th Plate for a week. Also, ironically Crunchyroll continues to take over the block!

Lets Go Scream GIF by iQiyi

• Like 2

2 hours ago, atomicinumatt said:

So what?

This is a good thing and I am loving it. 

No elephants or anything of that nature. 

From an immediate and shortsighted viewpoint, it feels good. We are moving briskly through MHA which makes it feel like we are actually taking notable steps in the story every week. However, this is going to cause some major problems later in the year. 

1. The lead slot show is always the most difficult for them to commit to. We saw how much extra time it took them to get something as subpar as Food Wars S5, and they are still short another acquisition going into April. And now they are burning through another show? 

2. MHA is currently the most significant show they have on the lineup, and has good odds to be one of the top 3 of 2023, so it’s strange to rush through it especially how hard fought getting it from CR was.

Dont get me wrong, I will be throughly enjoying the Toonami schedule for the rest of March. I’m just concerned for the state of the block later in the year, I don’t want to see it in perpetual stall mode or leading with reruns in the next 4-6 months. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

From an immediate and shortsighted viewpoint, it feels good. We are moving briskly through MHA which makes it feel like we are actually taking notable steps in the story every week. However, this is going to cause some major problems later in the year. 

1. The lead slot show is always the most difficult for them to commit to. We saw how much extra time it took them to get something as subpar as Food Wars S5, and they are still short another acquisition going into April. And now they are burning through another show? 

2. MHA is currently the most significant show they have on the lineup, and has good odds to be one of the top 3 of 2023, so it’s strange to rush through it especially how hard fought getting it from CR was.

Dont get me wrong, I will be throughly enjoying the Toonami schedule for the rest of March. I’m just concerned for the state of the block later in the year, I don’t want to see it in perpetual stall mode or leading with reruns in the next 4-6 months. 

There are not going to be any issues. Have you just recently been acquainted with [as]/Toonami? They are haphazard but they have something in mind, whether that be something you'll like or not is up to you as viewer. 

It is not like Toonami is just going to end because MHA is doubled up. Like others have said they are probably rushing through it to make way for something like AoT or other things. And I am perfectly happy with that. I like doubled up shows most of the time. 

The only gripe I have is that The Block is only 3 hours, but hey I barely complain about that. 

I honestly feel like we are beating a dead horse with these doubling up 'issues' and what not. It is going to be okay. 

Edited by atomicinumatt
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, atomicinumatt said:

There are not going to be any issues. Have you just recently been acquainted with [as]/Toonami? They are haphazard but they have something in mind, whether that be something you'll like or not is up to you as viewer. 

It is not like Toonami is just going to end because MHA is doubled up. Like others have said they are probably rushing through it to make way for something like AoT or other things. And I am perfectly happy with that. I like doubled up shows most of the time. 

The only gripe I have is that The Block is only 3 hours, but hey I barely complain about that. 

I honestly feel like we are beating a dead horse with these doubling up 'issues' and what not. It is going to be okay. 

I’m not new, and I have a fairly good memory too, which is why it’s hard for me to believe they have a plan. Let’s recap the past couple years.

2021 - Stall mode starting mid October. No show replacements, double ups and more Black Lotus marathons than I care to count.

2022 - Primal RERUNS as the lead show for 20 straight weeks starting in May. Brief Naruto double up stalling in June. MHA lead slot reruns for a month at the end of the year. 

2023 - Yashahime doubled up to clear it off the schedule in February. As of April 2023, still has not been replaced. Made in Abyss also concluded in February, no replacement until mid March. 

They aren’t sitting on the best track record right now. Obviously, burning through MHA makes it appear they have a plan, but we said the same about Yashahime/MiA. I’d be marginally more confident in them if we weren’t still waiting on a second show announcement. It’s hard to believe #3 is a sure thing when #2 is nowhere to be seen, and #1 only made an appearance 5 days ago. 

Like I said, I have no enjoyment issues with this lineup. I’d much rather get through one of our running anime than have to skip weeks because they chose to air bottom of the barrel DC table scraps. But I’d also like to have a decent block to tune into later in the year. Nobody is saying it’s going to end, but it easily can go down a path of becoming barely watchable as it has in the examples above. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

I’m not new, and I have a fairly good memory too, which is why it’s hard for me to believe they have a plan.

Yet here we are with them still airing new things over the years and [as]/Toonami still chugging along, albeit not as much so as in their prime. 

Instead of dooming and reiterating what is essentially the same talking point, why not discuss what you are hopeful for and what you would like to see be done? 

1 hour ago, atomicinumatt said:

Yet here we are with them still airing new things over the years and [as]/Toonami still chugging along, albeit not as much so as in their prime. 

Instead of dooming and reiterating what is essentially the same talking point, why not discuss what you are hopeful for and what you would like to see be done? 

It gets kinda old talking about hopes knowing most things on the market are out of their reach. Sure we could talk about how much I’d like to see them air Chainsaw Man, but what’s the point? Odds are they won’t. 

All we can do is make educated guesses based on actions they take. If they are this rushed to end MHA, it means either FLCL or Bleach is coming. Which is another roadblock for speculative discussion, if you have been watching this block long enough, you don’t need to speculate or share your hopes, you already know what’s probably gonna happen. Even Food Wars isn’t shocking, if they could do it, they were obviously going to. 

This post wasn’t meant to be doomerism, just a simple update to spare people checking Facebook next week. And maybe spur a little discussion on why they seem to pressed to get MHA done. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

It gets kinda old talking about hopes knowing most things on the market are out of their reach. Sure we could talk about how much I’d like to see them air Chainsaw Man, but what’s the point? Odds are they won’t. 

All we can do is make educated guesses based on actions they take. If they are this rushed to end MHA, it means either FLCL or Bleach is coming. Which is another roadblock for speculative discussion, if you have been watching this block long enough, you don’t need to speculate or share your hopes, you already know what’s probably gonna happen. Even Food Wars isn’t shocking, if they could do it, they were obviously going to. 

This post wasn’t meant to be doomerism, just a simple update to spare people checking Facebook next week. And maybe spur a little discussion on why they seem to pressed to get MHA done. 

whatever it is....I'm not sure toonami's just awkwardly tossing out MHA for no reason whatsoever

it just doesn't benefit them to rush through S6 without a replacement already in mind

The absolute worst way to look at a trend is from week to week, or God forbid, day to day.  It will drive you utterly insane because change in entertainment and the timeframe for deals is in months, while production times range from months to years, especially with animation lead time (that is, the time it takes to make animation vs. actually airing it).  Let Invincible and Allen the Alien explain the concept at roughly about 56 seconds.  

Point is, they're using MHA episodes now, presumably because stuff is either in the pipeline or deals are being made, but it might be a while before we see the results.

On 3/11/2023 at 10:24 AM, atomicinumatt said:

So what?

This is a good thing and I am loving it. 

No elephants or anything of that nature. 

Elephants are my favorite animal. :D

I do hope we have something good or at least substantial to replace MHA, though.