UnevenEdge

WarnerBros Discovery inks deal with Nielsen rival VideoAmp to more accurately record viewership

Jman

7 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

So they are going to use VideoAmp to gauge audiences across media? It is safe to assume Nielsen is archaic at this point in time?

The article mentions that this is being done ahead of Disney+ and Max platform merge. 

Even in a vacuum it’s something they should have been doing a while ago.  When your material can’t be accurately gauged, you’re forced to use inaccurate, easily manipulated metrics like social media interaction.  The same 20 or so lunatics can convince people Warrior Nun is popular when it isn’t.  Granted, after the Snyder Cut debacle, all of these companies should go “we do not negotiate with social media terrorists” but I digress.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jman said:

When your material can’t be accurately gauged, you’re forced to use inaccurate, easily manipulated metrics like social media interaction.  The same 20 or so lunatics can convince people

Hey hey hey, don’t knock that tactic, it’s been keeping Toonami alive for half a decade now. 

• Haha 5

34 minutes ago, Jman said:

Maybe I doth protest too much then.

I still think more accurate metrics are ultimately a good thing.

I joke, but I don’t disagree. A better metric is long overdue. That said, this feels like it’s coming way too late for cable. Seen it happen plenty of times where something looks like it’s going to be huge based on social media interaction, then it hits the air and flops because all that engagement was an extreme minority shouting as loud as they possibly could. 

We need something that is based on actual individual viewer numbers, both from cable and streaming options. Nobody cares if 20 twitter accounts are going nuts for a show when all 20 are one persons botfarm. 

And what I think is most important, these numbers need to be PUBLIC. It’s not going to stop them from arbitrarily cancelling a bunch of content, but if we can see the numbers, fans can somewhat hold them accountable if they cancel a show doing well. When everything is behind the scenes it’s too easy for them to claim a show was doing bad and just leave it at that. It would also help with discourse when a genuinely low performing show gets canned and it’s diehard fans think it was canned for some other reason because the prospect of it doing bad is too much for them to accept. 

• Like 1