UnevenEdge

Anime studios publicly expressing doubt in Netflix’s ability to make their work a hit

Jman

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/anime/netflix-anime-japan-series-production-222469.html?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Don+t+miss+the+latest+from+Cartoon+Brew%3A++RSS%3AITEM%3ATITLE&utm_campaign=Tuesday+Newsletter+(Free)

This is big is true given Netflix’s own investments.  Maybe they can finally switch to weekly releases.

Broadcast releases outside of Japan though (and even there) are becoming less of an option as cord cutting accelerates and no one wants to do things on other peoples time.

Edited by Jman

Netflix's focus on quantity over quality has generated a lot more content that is either very bad or very good. Very wildly different. Like Beastars and Edgerunners is great, and then they cocked up the Stone Ocean releases and botched productions like Seven Deadly Sins. So yeah, I can see how it would be seen as a gamble with them.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, matrixman124 said:

Oh yeah and Househusband. They really botched Househusband.

That one was apparently on the production company.

Netflix is maddeningly inconsistent.  For every Baki or Bastard there’s some garbage Polygon production.  Hell, their Godzilla entries are both complete garbage (The Polygon trilogy) and a very good if admittedly very dense story (Singular Point).  Here’s hoping with all their alleged refinements this gets fixed soon.

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Jman said:

That one was apparently on the production company.

Netflix is maddeningly inconsistent.  For every Baki or Bastard there’s some garbage Polygon production.  Hell, their Godzilla entries are both complete garbage (The Polygon trilogy) and a very good if admittedly very dense story (Singular Point).  Here’s hoping with all their alleged refinements this gets fixed soon.

Oh okay, because I couldn't believe how lazy they were with the lack of in-between animation. You can't just make a series with key animation frames!!!

To be honest, I have Netflix but rarely use it. I only open the app for a show that I am particularly interested in and lately that has been minimal. 

For instance, in the past 3-4 months I have only used it to watch Edgerunners (amazing) and to rewatch some of Trailer Park Boys. 

Edited by atomicinumatt

On 10/27/2022 at 9:21 AM, matrixman124 said:

Oh okay, because I couldn't believe how lazy they were with the lack of in-between animation. You can't just make a series with key animation frames!!!

I'm pretty sure that's just the style. A lot of anime with short episodes and are based on gag manga look that way.

Unreliable release windows that change with every production, inconsistent release schedules based on whether it’s weekly or all dumped for binging, surprise drops that feel like they’re sent to be DOA, and quality concerns that have cropped up with shows that receive a significantly different budget from others plague Netflix as an anime platform. 

Why even license some of these shows if the simulcast is delayed by a month? Why refuse to announce that Stone Ocean Part 3 will be out by the end of 2022 when people are already fuming about the possibility of it airing in 2023 out of distrust? What kind of deal was given to have weekly releases for Komi-san or Isekai Ojisan, but sit on LWA or Beastars until it’s long finished airing. What is it about Kotaro-san or Edgerunners that made Netflix want to give it more fanfare than Highrise Invasion or Way of the Househusband?

On 11/1/2022 at 11:55 AM, Chapinator_X said:

What is it about Kotaro-san or Edgerunners that made Netflix want to give it more fanfare than Highrise Invasion or Way of the Househusband?

Well, in Highrise Invasion's case, the show is pretty bad....

I love Highrise Invasion and desperately want more of it. But it ain't a good show.

High Rise is an assured case of "So bad and blunt, it comes out the other end and is amazing."

Netflix is weird because they release stuff that becomes honest to God mainstream hits in a way that's virtually impossible for other anime...while having tons of other stuff on the service that's ignored or otherwise there to fill time.  It's part of why I find their adaptations interesting, because of the attention the successful ones do get.  That and the complete lack of any censorship outside the self-practiced stuff from the studio itself.  You just have to wade through a lot of junk in the interim.

On 11/1/2022 at 2:55 PM, Chapinator_X said:

.What is it about Kotaro-san or Edgerunners that made Netflix want to give it more fanfare than Highrise Invasion or Way of the Househusband?

Edgerunners had CD Project Red paying for it,  and the dub cast getting Gus to do Faraday.  No clue about Kotaro or Komi--san, and I like Komi-san.  

Edited by Jman

On 11/1/2022 at 2:55 PM, Chapinator_X said:

Unreliable release windows that change with every production, inconsistent release schedules based on whether it’s weekly or all dumped for binging, surprise drops that feel like they’re sent to be DOA, and quality concerns that have cropped up with shows that receive a significantly different budget from others plague Netflix as an anime platform. 

Why even license some of these shows if the simulcast is delayed by a month? Why refuse to announce that Stone Ocean Part 3 will be out by the end of 2022 when people are already fuming about the possibility of it airing in 2023 out of distrust? What kind of deal was given to have weekly releases for Komi-san or Isekai Ojisan, but sit on LWA or Beastars until it’s long finished airing. What is it about Kotaro-san or Edgerunners that made Netflix want to give it more fanfare than Highrise Invasion or Way of the Househusband?

They really kneecapped Stone Ocean with the staggered releases 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

So they still aren't releasing anime weekly and you have to wait for the whole season to be over to see it?  They realize this makes them more antiquated, right?

The whole seasonal dump thing is only novel if the episodes are completely new entirely, not just to the platform.  Not to mention, most other streaming services release weekly.  I personally think weekly releases make the viewing and discussing experience more fun.

1 hour ago, ben0119 said:

So they still aren't releasing anime weekly and you have to wait for the whole season to be over to see it?  They realize this makes them more antiquated, right?

The whole seasonal dump thing is only novel if the episodes are completely new entirely, not just to the platform.  Not to mention, most other streaming services release weekly.  I personally think weekly releases make the viewing and discussing experience more fun.

They both have merits. I probably would've dropped Scissor Seven after 3 or 4 episodes if I watched it weekly, and that's a pretty generous estinate since I would've likely forgotten about it between episodes.

But then I would have missed the random side character Avengers arc and the absurdly badass chicken fight arc and all of the other things that are too cool to speak of and why has nobody watched this show?!?!

I like more dense things weekly.

Anyway, the moral of the story is watch Scissor Seven, Japanese or Chinese dubs are the best ones. The English dub is actually kinda amazing but botches most serious parts.

On 11/13/2022 at 4:29 AM, naraku360 said:

They both have merits. I probably would've dropped Scissor Seven after 3 or 4 episodes if I watched it weekly, and that's a pretty generous estinate since I would've likely forgotten about it between episodes.

But then I would have missed the random side character Avengers arc and the absurdly badass chicken fight arc and all of the other things that are too cool to speak of and why has nobody watched this show?!?!

I like more dense things weekly.

Anyway, the moral of the story is watch Scissor Seven, Japanese or Chinese dubs are the best ones. The English dub is actually kinda amazing but botches most serious parts.

Well I have heard that Re:Zero was pretty tough to get through on a weekly basis even when it first premiered in Japanese, and fans of the source material had to keep encouraging people to watch it.  This was also a reason some gave why it wouldn't be a good fit for Toonami.  But I can't say, since I haven't seen it.

I looked it up and apparently Scissor Seven is a Chinese animated series.  I didn't know they made any.  So it's actually good?

26 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Well I have heard that Re:Zero was pretty tough to get through on a weekly basis even when it first premiered in Japanese, and fans of the source material had to keep encouraging people to watch it.  This was also a reason some gave why it wouldn't be a good fit for Toonami.  But I can't say, since I haven't seen it.

I looked it up and apparently Scissor Seven is a Chinese animated series.  I didn't know they made any.  So it's actually good?

It's excellent. It starts a bit slow with the first 8ish episodes being primarily hit-or-miss comedy, but even then season 1 episodes are all under 20 minutes. Then the entire second half of the season slaps and never stops.

Here's a non-spoilery (like episode 3 or 4) fight that's also nowhere near the best one.

Re:Zero is definitely worth the watch. For season 1, the director's cut is the ideal way to watch it. It's a great show, top 10 material for me.

Edited by naraku360
  • Like 1