UnevenEdge

My Hero Academia film lands Alice in Borderland director Shinsuke Sato

Jman

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

A Japanese director for a live-action manga adaptation? What a novel concept. I kind of hope this gets made.

But on the other hand.... Sky High already exists.

Sky High was also a box office failure.  It’s one of those films people would rather forget.

I’m admittedly hoping this gets lost in Development Hell.  I mean, Naruto’s had a director since 2018 and nothing.

I Know he probably won't come up in the film because he shows up much later in the series

but how the hell would you handle fatgum in live action?

he works within the manga and anime just fine but once you put him in live action

there's this question that needs to be asked

"why the hell does he look so silly and cartoony when he's fat?"

there are mutant quirks out there that affect the user's general appearance and some who have just inherited it through they're parents

however that isn't the case with fatgum....We See He Looks perfectly normal when he isn't fat but as soon as he becomes a heckin chonker

he turns into this goofball....(it's not related to his quirk allows him to tank hits and absorb enemies with his fat...something that he has to build up naturally)

fatgum civilian.PNG

12 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

I Know he probably won't come up in the film because he shows up much later in the series

but how the hell would you handle fatgum in live action?

he works within the manga and anime just fine but once you put him in live action

there's this question that needs to be asked

"why the hell does he look so silly and cartoony when he's fat?"

there are mutant quirks out there that affect the user's general appearance and some who have just inherited it through they're parents

however that isn't the case with fatgum....We See He Looks perfectly normal when he isn't fat but as soon as he becomes a heckin chonker

he turns into this goofball....(it's not related to his quirk allows him to tank hits and absorb enemies with his fat...something that he has to build up naturally)

fatgum civilian.PNG

There are a ton of things in the manga that can only work in his style .  Mineta? He's the same age as the other students but you can't just cast him as a midget lest the casting director comes across as being against midgets, and you can't cast him as regular height because he'd look nothing like he does in the manga!

Edited by elfie

57 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

i can see why this is happening though....hollywood wants to capitalize on anime's popularity

however much like MCU Movies there's the urge to make them more appealing to the average american

Yeah but the MCU is Murican.  Doesn’t get much more Murican than a team lead by a guy called   Captain America.  Guy still punched Nazis.  Most of the changes involved pouring through old comics and picking what worked and what didn’t.

Things the Twitterati will demand changed in an MHA movie in no particular order -

1.  Mineta

2.  Momo’s Outfit.

3.  Uraraka’s outfit.

4.  Bakugo’s full dipshit early personality where he tells Izuku to kill himself.

5.  Mt. Lady.

6.  Midnight.

7.  Mineta.

With X-Men they just threw everyone in black leather.  Carol Danvers skipped the swimsuit.  But that was all relatively minor.

Edited by Jman

1 hour ago, Jman said:

Yeah but the MCU is Murican.  Doesn’t get much more Murican than a team lead by a guy called   Captain America.  Guy still punched Nazis.  Most of the changes involved pouring through old comics and picking what worked and what didn’t.

Things the Twitterati will demand changed in an MHA movie in no particular order -

1.  Mineta

2.  Momo’s Outfit.

3.  Uraraka’s outfit.

4.  Bakugo’s full dipshit early personality where he tells Izuku to kill himself.

5.  Mt. Lady.

6.  Midnight.

7.  Mineta.

With X-Men they just threw everyone in black leather.  Carol Danvers skipped the swimsuit.  But that was all relatively minor.

You listed Mineta twice.

"That was intentional."

2 hours ago, elfie said:

actually ... I think ALL the female suits would need to be changed, because American corporations don't believe boobs and asses exist. Also they're all about the "strong independent woman" message, so I expect at least one of those characters to have a drastically larger role.

Eventually American prudism ends up being a detriment to that message.

Watch Revenge (2017). That's how you do it.

It's worth noting that at one point in the late 90s, production was set to begin on a live-action Sailor Moon movie, then Steel and Batman and Robin happened.  The superhero genre was dead at theaters until X-Men came along.

Now we're approaching another glut of superhero movies with everyone warning of a crash.  Maybe it will thwart this movie as well.

4 hours ago, Jman said:

It's worth noting that at one point in the late 90s, production was set to begin on a live-action Sailor Moon movie, then Steel and Batman and Robin happened.  The superhero genre was dead at theaters until X-Men came along.

Now we're approaching another glut of superhero movies with everyone warning of a crash.  Maybe it will thwart this movie as well.

That doesn't sound likely. I contribute it to Marvel movies being between arcs and so far we have no idea where the build-up to the next major storyline will start. Also no one knows how to approach the pandemic marketing with where to release movies.