UnevenEdge

Steve Blum and Mary McGlynn cancel MECHA-CON OMEGA appearance for "health reasons"

Yeah, I'm not sure what the logic behind vaccinated people who test positive cancelling appearances is because unvaccinated people can sure infect each other much easier.

Perhaps there is a sense of altruism in not wanting to knowingly contribute to the outbreak, even if your potential "contribution" is small compared to some of the untold masses of unvaccinated yahoos attending these big conventions who can infect each other in about a minute with this new Delta variant.

So, by deductive logic, it's probably NOT a COVID issue, but it can't be ruled out either.

Edited by OwlChemist81

3 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure what the logic behind vaccinated people who test positive cancelling appearances is because unvaccinated people can sure infect each other much easier.

Perhaps there is a sense of altruism in not wanting to knowingly contribute to the outbreak, even if your potential "contribution" is small compared to some of the untold masses of unvaccinated yahoos attending these big conventions who can infect each other in about a minute with this new Delta variant.

So, by deductive logic, it's probably NOT a COVID issue, but it can't be ruled out either.

OR maybe it's a Them thing and they're just not feeling well enough to go to a public event.

• Like 1

You're sort of right. The spread of COVID-19 does concern us all, though perhaps less than when we didn't have the vaccine.

Just for the record though, I HAVE met Steve. And if it helps, Paul Janeway of St. Paul and the Broken Bones cancelled a show last night in my neighborhood due to ALLERGIES. They're BAD this year, and even though I take a daily Claritin, they still mess with me.

So it could be that's what it is. At any rate, I hope, COVID or not, Steve and Mary get well soon!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 10:13 PM, CountFrylock said:

honestly feels like way too soon to just start having events again with crowds

I think we're beyond babysitting people at this point.  People are going to have to take personal responsibility for themselves.  

28 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

unfortunately the stupid decisions they make don't just affect them but those around them as well

that's the problem

That is true as well. 

But ever since I read a blog about the horror stories at conventions on the old That Guy With The Glasses website years ago, I had no interest in going to anime conventions,  and never went to one. 

Back then, things that were listed included B.O. of attendees, girls brandishing yaoi paddles, and "con flu."  I imagine it would be worse to have covid running around as the "con flu" as opposed to a cold going around or something.

I remember a friend and I were going to go to a convention a couple years ago, but the cost of admission was ridiculous, and for z-level guests!  We wouldn't have had any money left to buy anything!

So yeah I've never been to an anime convention and sure as hell wouldn't go to one now.

46 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

That is true as well. 

But ever since I read a blog about the horror stories at conventions on the old That Guy With The Glasses website years ago, I had no interest in going to anime conventions,  and never went to one. 

Back then, things that were listed included B.O. of attendees, girls brandishing yaoi paddles, and "con flu."  I imagine it would be worse to have covid running around as the "con flu" as opposed to a cold going around or something.

I remember a friend and I were going to go to a convention a couple years ago, but the cost of admission was ridiculous, and for z-level guests!  We wouldn't have had any money left to buy anything!

So yeah I've never been to an anime convention and sure as hell wouldn't go to one now.

I Was Lucky enough to get to go to Fan Expo Dallas in 2019(got several MHA Autographs as well as the autograph of bryce papenbrook the va of eren jaeger)

but yeah it's iffy thinking about going to conventions now...although that just really makes me feel bad for the voice actors because they lose out on a good chunk of cash without conventions

being a voice actor for dubbed anime isn't that profitable and as a result you usually make more money from appearing in one  random commercial for something like mcdonalds than you do actually voicing a character in several seasons of an anime

41 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

I Was Lucky enough to get to go to Fan Expo Dallas in 2019(got several MHA Autographs as well as the autograph of bryce papenbrook the va of eren jaeger)

but yeah it's iffy thinking about going to conventions now...although that just really makes me feel bad for the voice actors because they lose out on a good chunk of cash without conventions

being a voice actor for dubbed anime isn't that profitable and as a result you usually make more money from appearing in one  random commercial for something like mcdonalds than you do actually voicing a character in several seasons of an anime

Ah that's cool.

It is odd that VAs still don't make much voicing characters for anime with what big business localized anime is these days?  I would've thought their pay would increase by now.  So yeah the rest of the money they gotta get from conventions.

3 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Ah that's cool.

It is odd that VAs still don't make much voicing characters for anime with what big business localized anime is these days?  I would've thought their pay would increase by now.  So yeah the rest of the money they gotta get from conventions.

it's one reason why it isn't uncommon to see certain voice actors move on from dubbed anime voice work to doing voice overs for American Video games and cartoons

it just pays better.....and there's no reason to stick around unless you are that passionate about anime or you happen to be a major part of the company

notice the funimation voice actors that also double as ADR Directors or something else in the behind the scenes department

2 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

it's one reason why it isn't uncommon to see certain voice actors move on from dubbed anime voice work to doing voice overs for American Video games and cartoons

it just pays better.....and there's no reason to stick around unless you are that passionate about anime or you happen to be a major part of the company

notice the funimation voice actors that also double as ADR Directors or something else in the behind the scenes department

I said this before: pretty much all the actors in the FMA dub have moved to Los Angeles and left Funimation behind, with the only remaining ones being full-time Funimation employees who do more than just acting. Even the ones in BROTHERHOOD have done that by now.

13 hours ago, elfie said:

I said this before: pretty much all the actors in the FMA dub have moved to Los Angeles and left Funimation behind, with the only remaining ones being full-time Funimation employees who do more than just acting. Even the ones in BROTHERHOOD have done that by now.

still doesn't change the fact that no matter where you are....Texas Or California

anime dub voice work doesn't pay that well ....if it did then we wouldn't have VA's that simply move on from it like laura bailey and troy baker