UnevenEdge

Animaniacs reboot

Mix

1 hour ago, viperxmns said:

My opinion is the animation still isn't on par with the old TMS episodes but it looks like it could be fun, they definitely wrote the jokes with the older audience in mind, of course the original was like that as well

also Tiny Toons is coming back

yeah, the animation's going to suck, but i'm holding out hope for the writing.

Not gonna lie, I only played the video because I was vomitting in my mouth a little at the thumbnail. Good thing I watched, because it actually looks pretty good. Pinky's personality seems different though.

I do like how the trailer only included the Warner Bros/Sis and Pinky and the Brain. Loved those two groups as a kid, I was not fond of Rita and Runt. Slappy and Skippy were pretty good, and Chicken Boo was pretty good, but those were very short. What other stand-alone (for lack of a better word) characters were there in the original? I wonder how many of them (aside from Pinky and the Brain, obviously) will be in the reboot.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to watching this. Maybe it's just nostalgia goggles, or a bad memory, but I don't remember the original making quite so many political jabs.

Enjoyed the animation. Writing was eh. Seemed like they weren't sure what audience they were actually targeting. Leaned heavily towards the older demographic, but with everything reined in for some semblance of young appeal. I kinda felt like they completely missed the mark on what was so endearing about the original. A kids show that was clever. Turning it into a young adults' show that is cartoony is just out of touch.

And yeah, obviously they also needed a more diverse cast. Taking the variety out of the show is, again, missing out on the original charm.

8 hours ago, rpgamer said:

Finally got around to watching this. Maybe it's just nostalgia goggles, or a bad memory, but I don't remember the original making quite so many political jabs.

Enjoyed the animation. Writing was eh. Seemed like they weren't sure what audience they were actually targeting. Leaned heavily towards the older demographic, but with everything reined in for some semblance of young appeal. I kinda felt like they completely missed the mark on what was so endearing about the original. A kids show that was clever. Turning it into a young adults' show that is cartoony is just out of touch.

And yeah, obviously they also needed a more diverse cast. Taking the variety out of the show is, again, missing out on the original charm.

Everything here and more.

I mean, i do wonder why they made this reboot so political. yes, the original show was political, but barely! I think those took up like 5% of all the jokes cracked back then, out of around a hundred episodes spanning 5 seasons! That was something you didn't really see in children's cartoons on TV at the time and it WAS something to be celebrated among the older audience that it drew, because the writers wrote what THEY thought was funny! They infused jokes inspired by their own kids. They even sometimes brought their kids into the booth to record nonsense and then animated to it! The show had this feeling of fun and playfulness. It cherished childhood, and showed appeciation for children because they knew children are smarter than they appear. They would include references to Prince William or Kathy Giffard or Newt Gingrich et all because they knew kids would hear news on the bus to school, not entirely knowing the context of the news stories they came from.

The reboot, now, has 26 episodes, with only 13 released so far. You MUST take better care in deteriming what to include into that shortened amount of time to make it the best show you can make it! ... why does EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE EPISODES have to be political?! Did they miss the reason for why those were so well-remembered? It seems like these new writers just went online and saw what trended at the time regarding what people remember about the show, NOT look into what THEY think is funny. ... do-- ...do these writers even HAVE children?? The sense of inspiration and innocent is just gone. Gone are the Good Idea Bad Idea segments. Gone are the musical numbers based on nursery rhymes, or fairy tales, or children's books. Gone is that weird little kid scuttling on the sidewalk to say something random to you, and then go back in the house. Gone is Wakko's burping scerenades. Watch the Warner siblings in the reboot and I DEFY you to tell me they're inspired by the writers' real kids. They make mature jokes a ton more often here, oddly without the fanservice characters like Hello Nurse.  THey keep the Hello Nurse hollar, but now it's in response to another character, which totally erases the entire point of the joke.

Edited by elfie