UnevenEdge

Anyone have a good method for cooking a roast?

-Ninja_Jesus-

Put your oven to 500. Rub the roast with oil then salt and pepper the outside. Place the roast on an elevated rack in a roasting pan. Place the pan into the pre-heated oven for 15-20 mins until browned. Turn the oven down to 325 and you'll want to cook about 15min per lb. About a half hour before it would be ready I'd begin to check with a meat thermometer to make sure it isn't cooking too fast. I like mine to boarder rare and medium rare so usually pull mine around 130 degrees. The outer most ends of the roast is going to be more done than the inner. 

I usually pair this with Asparagus simmered in butter with crushed garlic and a balsamic glaze.  Garlic mashed potatoes or a simple baked potato with sour cream. I also make a sour cream horseradish sauce for dipping. Wine any bold Cabernet will pair well, or a whisky cocktail like the old fashioned or highball. Your mother though would probably enjoy a Vieux Carre; it's complexity goes down smooth without being too harsh or sweet and won't overpower the presence of the meal on the palate. 

30 minutes ago, SwimModSponges said:

Add beer at some point. A porter or stout.

I wouldn't add alcohol to a prime rib roast. Alcohol dries out meat, beer has a weak alcohol content; but you don't want to impart the flavor of beer onto expensive meat. You want to taste the meat and let the flavor fill your mouth. I also do like garlic but I would only suggest adding that after the browning phase. Garlic powder burns easily and can leave a metallic taste once it burns. Fine to throw on though after the oven is turned down. 

Day 1 - I rub it down with kosher salt and let it sit in the fridge overnight.

Day 2 - After the salt has been absorbed, I rub the roast with butter, garlic, salt, pepper, rosemary, and thyme. Then the roast sits out to room temp and I put it in a preheated oven at 500 degrees for 15-20 miniutes. Next I turn off the oven and let it bake in the residual heat for maybe 2 hours without touching that door handle.

I only do this shit for Christmas. This is honestly a conventional method, but I don't try to be experimental with an expensive cut of meat like that.

• 6 months later...