UnevenEdge

So the best Pokemon finally gets a sequel

Ric

2 hours ago, Raptorpat said:

I don't know if it's just because I've turned into a depressing old man, but I feel like I woulda been more hype five years ago during the Wii U era.

Probably just a cranky old man.

I am pretty excited to finally get a sequel but I do somewhat agree. The Wii U tablet would have been perfect for it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ric said:

I am pretty excited to finally get a sequel but I do somewhat agree. The Wii U tablet would have been perfect for it.

Switch is still a tablet, but I agree. Just the lack of wii u games really killed a lot of confidence I had for nintendo. Still it opened up an era we hadn't seen since the GBC for good portable games on the 3DS. It's a shame though that the 3DS is going to be phased out in favor of the switch. 3DS was probably my favorite nintendo system since the N64. 

1 hour ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Switch is still a tablet, but I agree. Just the lack of wii u games really killed a lot of confidence I had for nintendo. Still it opened up an era we hadn't seen since the GBC for good portable games on the 3DS. It's a shame though that the 3DS is going to be phased out in favor of the switch. 3DS was probably my favorite nintendo system since the N64. 

You could use the Wii U tablet while still playing on a TV though, which would've been good for a game like this.

Still quite a few 3DS games I still need to get around to playing. It had a good run at least. Hopefully mobile hasn't killed dedicated handheld gaming devices for good.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ric said:

You could use the Wii U tablet while still playing on a TV though, which would've been good for a game like this.

Still quite a few 3DS games I still need to get around to playing. It had a good run at least. Hopefully mobile hasn't killed dedicated handheld gaming devices for good.

I have the switch lite, and its pretty much a dedicated handheld. If they wanted to make it super portable though I think they'd have to use whatever tech samsung is using on their folding phones. If it were possible to fold a lite switch they'd actually be able to fit in a pocket. Also wish they made the battery bigger for it. I have to have the thing in a case because I'm not trying to stuff that in my jeans as it is, an extra 4oz from a larger battery isn't going to kill me. 

From what I've seen a lot of 3ds games are getting ported over to the switch. It also doesn't do the New 3DS XL or New 2DS XL any favors that they've been priced out of relevancy. If you were looking for a handheld it would never make sense to get a $170 dead system when the Switch lite is $199. I have the black switch lite, and 2 new 3ds xl. One is the silver monster hunter one and the other is a gold hyrule one.  I held off on getting a switch for a while because I was waiting to see if there would be a cool limited one to come out. Though everyone they've made has been pretty lame compared to all the different types of 3DS they've had out. That being said I did go with the most generic and boring color of switch lite that everyone seems to hate. Also if you are ever looking for cases go with Butterfox. I have one for my switch lite and another for my new 3dsxl's and they're great. Really smooth zippers which is an ocd of mine, can't stand zippers that don't have that perfect zip. 

2 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

I have the switch lite, and its pretty much a dedicated handheld. If they wanted to make it super portable though I think they'd have to use whatever tech samsung is using on their folding phones. If it were possible to fold a lite switch they'd actually be able to fit in a pocket. Also wish they made the battery bigger for it. I have to have the thing in a case because I'm not trying to stuff that in my jeans as it is, an extra 4oz from a larger battery isn't going to kill me. 

From what I've seen a lot of 3ds games are getting ported over to the switch. It also doesn't do the New 3DS XL or New 2DS XL any favors that they've been priced out of relevancy. If you were looking for a handheld it would never make sense to get a $170 dead system when the Switch lite is $199. I have the black switch lite, and 2 new 3ds xl. One is the silver monster hunter one and the other is a gold hyrule one.  I held off on getting a switch for a while because I was waiting to see if there would be a cool limited one to come out. Though everyone they've made has been pretty lame compared to all the different types of 3DS they've had out. That being said I did go with the most generic and boring color of switch lite that everyone seems to hate. Also if you are ever looking for cases go with Butterfox. I have one for my switch lite and another for my new 3dsxl's and they're great. Really smooth zippers which is an ocd of mine, can't stand zippers that don't have that perfect zip. 

Nintendo has a very strong track record of dropping their previous gen almost immediately after their next one is released.

Like seriously, with the Gamecube to Wii, the GC died in no time at all after the Wii was released. I still find it funny how back in late 09 or early 10 Nintendo was going on about how they have no plan on working on a successor any time soon, just for them to announce the Wii U in 2010. And again, after the Wii U came out, the Wii died just like that, its online network in little time as well. And then again with the Wii U to Switch.

Some might say it's the smart thing to do, "why continue to release games for an old console when they have a new one?" I don't like MS or Sony really but at least with the 7th gen they really set out to make it feel like you got your moneys worth out of the consoles, even for around 2 years after the 8th gen consoles were reused you were still getting most new games released on them. And even though they have stopped making games for them long ago, their networks are still very much so accessible and not shut down Nintendo does with all theirs. In all fairness though nobody was buying non-Nintendo games on the Wii or Wii U, so it probably was best to move onto the next.

13 minutes ago, Distinct Lunatic said:

Nintendo has a very strong track record of dropping their previous gen almost immediately after their next one is released.

Like seriously, with the Gamecube to Wii, the GC died in no time at all after the Wii was released. I still find it funny how back in late 09 or early 10 Nintendo was going on about how they have no plan on working on a successor any time soon, just for them to announce the Wii U in 2010. And again, after the Wii U came out, the Wii died just like that, its online network in little time as well. And then again with the Wii U to Switch.

Some might say it's the smart thing to do, "why continue to release games for an old console when they have a new one?" I don't like MS or Sony really but at least with the 7th gen they really set out to make it feel like you got your moneys worth out of the consoles, even for around 2 years after the 8th gen consoles were reused you were still getting most new games released on them. And even though they have stopped making games for them long ago, their networks are still very much so accessible and not shut down Nintendo does with all theirs. In all fairness though nobody was buying non-Nintendo games on the Wii or Wii U, so it probably was best to move onto the next.

To be fair the Wii was a gamecube. It could use both the controllers and play the games. It was also a part of the Wii's problem with becoming underpowered since it was a last gen system in a new shell with a motion sensor. Though a new system coming out and killing the old one is nothing new. The ps3 killed 2 and so on. The thing is that Nintendo does this bullshit marketing that fools nobody and is like, no it's another pillar of the nintendo name. All these systems will continue to be supported. Meanwhile you can pull up a wiki and see what games are planned for release. Actually surprised that 8 games have even come out for the 3DS in 2020 so far; also odd that the Wii U has 5 games listed as released in north america  in 2020, but Japan's last game for it was in 2018. Though yeah they tried to say that the 3DS WiiU and Switch were the 3 pillars of the company and would be supported for "years" to come. I ended up selling my Wii U the moment the switch was proven not to be garbage. I first planned just hacking it, but I was so damn disgusted with the Wii U I may have sooner just smashed it with a hammer. At least I actually got a good bit of money back when trading it into a local store. I got around $120 for it. Sucks that I only had a few physical games though most of the stuff I had were digital. 

The problem with Nintendo's systems since the gamecube is that they have no secondary function other than playing nintendo games that make them worth keeping around. I used my PS2 for years as a DVD and CD player. My PS3 I still have in my living room to play blu-rays and used it to watch youtube on before I got a smart tv in there. My PS4 and XBox One S play the new games and I can also use them to play blu-rays. Point being there is some utility for them other than playing games on them. Nintendo at least in the past had devices that helped justify leaving a system plugged in. Like on the SNES I used the Super Gameboy on it a lot. I probably played more pokemon on my N64 with the transfer pack in stadium than I did on a gameboy. The GBA adapter for the Gamecube was great, then the Wii could play Game Cube Games so it was like just buying an upgraded system like having the 3DS but buying the New 3DS xl. The Wii U and Switch though are pretty much just what they are. I think the switch overtime though may get some updates to make it a more capable tablet. However I don't think it would be one that adults would fine as useful because of how restrictive Ninteno is with what functions can be done on their devices. 

As for Snap though to get back on topic. I think it may be too little too late for my interest. When I was younger just about anything pokemon would have grabbed my interest. If it had the word pokemon on it damn sure I was going to play it. Though now I don't know if just taking pics of pokemon in a rail shooter type game is going to appeal to me at 31 the way it did 20 years ago when I was 11. I mean for snap on the N64 it was pretty much just a score based game with minimal puzzle logic. Today there are just going to be walkthroughs on youtube within the first 3 days about getting the optimal score for each pokemon. Really that is all there is for this type of game after you beat it for replay value. Just playing again to try and beat your score. If you are just cranking out perfect scores you end up with nothing to beat. Though Nintendo is going to release it for $60. I don't fully have enough confidence in Game Freak in how they might try to implement new things. I have a feeling they've gotten the DLC greed bug. Like with what they did with Sword and Shield. Oh $30 for 5 new pokemon and a handful of NPC to battle; my cup runneth over. So I can see whole routes in snap getting put behind pay walls.