UnevenEdge

Anyone recommend 'Cells At Work'?

Nytlyt

I added it to my list on Netflix and it looks... a little too "cute"? I guess? 

Is it just the little blood cell girl going to wrong areas of the body or are there like white blood cell ninjas that fight virus bad guys?

Kinda like anime Osmosis Jones?

• Like 1

Heard season 2 is going to take place in someone who is terminally ill. So the season is just going to be bleak and depressing look at the cells trying their hardest but not being good enough. Seems something like the setting of Majora's Mask or scenes from Titanic while it was sinking. 

Not in the first season.  Dunno about later.  We don't know whose body they're in.

If you watch this, one neat detail to notice is the change in the colors of the Red Blood Cells' uniforms depending on if they're delivering O2 or returning CO2. :)

5 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Heard season 2 is going to take place in someone who is terminally ill.

That's Cells at Work! Code Black.  That is not the second season, which is Cells at Work!! (2 !).  Weirdly, both are scheduled for January, but we'll see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Heard season 2 is going to take place in someone who is terminally ill. So the season is just going to be bleak and depressing look at the cells trying their hardest but not being good enough. Seems something like the setting of Majora's Mask or scenes from Titanic while it was sinking. 

You're thinking of an entirely different anime. Season 2 will continue to cover adventures in the same body as in Season 1.

10 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Bet that it will end with some of the cells being saved because the person who died was a donor and they'll get another chance.

That would actually be a really cool thing. Even seeing a blood transfusion would be neat just to see how they'd handle it. 

I wonder if we'll get a COVID-19 episode. 🤔

2 minutes ago, QueenoftheDorks said:

That would actually be a really cool thing. Even seeing a blood transfusion would be neat just to see how they'd handle it. 

I wonder if we'll get a COVID-19 episode. 🤔

Just made me think of how angel beats had that message in it about being a donor. Feels like the kinda message that CAW would have. At least to make it somewhat less depressing and not have every character you spend a season watching die. Could also tie season 2 and Code Black together if season 2 is the host for a transfusion or transplant. It does make me wonder though do cells just go right to work the moment they are put into a new body. I know at times they can be treated as a foreign harmful body and are targeted. Could possibly be shown through one of the platelets being bullied.  Though mainly just wondering if there is a time frame that it takes for a new cell to figure things out.  Does it like absorb hormones etc from the new host that give it information on the body, is there a short period where it isn't really doing it's job and just acclimating to the new host kinda deal? I do know a good bit about biology but I don't really know a lot about transplanted cells aside from them needing to be the same blood type or O. 

On 5/4/2020 at 7:39 PM, QueenoftheDorks said:

Even seeing a blood transfusion would be neat just to see how they'd handle it. 

Episode 13.  12/13 is a 2-parter about hemorrhagic shock.  The transfused RBCs are a bit confused but happy to be working again.  Their uniforms are very slightly different...and they speak with an accent. xD

If you die from cancer, I don't think they'll take your organs because of the risk of undetected metastatic cancer cells (i.e., cells that snuck away from the original tumor and went to another part of the body).  Corneas, tendons, heart valves and the like are exempt though, as they're not vascular - which is also why they're are rarely rejected when transplanted.

Don't quote me on this, but I think you need to take immuno-suppressant drugs forever.  Also sometimes transplants attack the new host's tissues in a kind of reverse rejection.  The problem is there are proteins on the surface of cells that basically tell the macrophages "Don't eat me."  So when that protein on the incoming tissues' cells doesn't match the recipient's, they become fair game for the immune system to attack.

The only way I can see that changing is over years as the older cells of the transplant die off and get replaced by new ones, which I assume would have the right coding.  But I don't know if that's what actually happens or not.

• Haha 2

On 5/6/2020 at 5:08 AM, Gina Szanboti said:

Episode 13.  12/13 is a 2-parter about hemorrhagic shock.  The transfused RBCs are a bit confused but happy to be working again.  Their uniforms are very slightly different...and they speak with an accent. xD

You know about 2 hours after I posted this and I was getting ready for bed it hit me that they did it. I have the memory of a goldfish sometimes. 😆

• Like 1

18 hours ago, renjifan said:

Just finished it and I really liked it! Nice mix between cute, action, and educational. I’d definitely recommend giving it a watch! ☺️

Right? I can just imagine all the other possibilities for season 2. They practically write themselves.

• Like 1