UnevenEdge

Toonami has now lost the rights to JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 3: Stardust Crusaders

This is a PSA: If you go to "Shows" on the Adult Swim website or app and try to watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, you'll only find Diamond Is Unbreakable (Part 4). As of tonight, exactly 2 years to the day since Toonami started airing JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 3, they have officially lost the rights to it.

Press F and submit to pay respects.

On 7/29/2019 at 8:50 PM, brianycpht said:

If anyone cares, they've also lost parts of HxH on the site

I'd imagine the next series to completely go away will be Outlaw Star since they get most things from Funimation and Viz for 2 years

Somehow, Lupin part 4 is hanging on..

That is quite odd. They might really hold the rights to that in perpetuity? I'm sure it will never see another run on Cable TV again, either way. Or maybe they shelled out a bit more to extend it when they got Lupin the 3rd Part 5? I suppose it makes sense to keep Part 4 streaming while airing Part 5 if possible. I'm sure Part 5 will get a rerun (and it might not) before Part 4 ever does either way.

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

It was only a matter of time.

Yeah, a good rule of thumb is rights expire to shows that premiered on Toonami 2 years ago. Of course, there are some exceptions, like Dragon Ball Super and Attack on Titan, the latter of which I believe they got for a 5-year deal and actually renewed Season 1 in order to do their short rerun at 3:30 AM prior to the 2nd half of Season 3. And it remains yet to be seen if the 1st season of Black Clover is up this December. At least until then all episodes are streaming on [as].com and the [as] app!

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

But they haven't even had Megalobox for a year yet, how did that happen?

I’m gonna figure Viz stipulated that Megalobox be pulled shortly after it finished because the Blu-ray set was coming out. It would be a shame if Toonami never reran it but maybe Viz will let them play it again some day.

• Like 1

I'm defiantly hanging on to all three (JoJo Part 3, Outlaw Star, and Megalobox) in my DVR right now. They're not perfect--a few of JoJo Part 3's episodes didn't record completely, the Hot Springs Episode of Outlaw Star is an SD version, and so is one later episode of Megalobox (10 I believe), due to a power outage and a monsoon, respectively, and THAT is the problem with "no reruns".

But I digress. The weird thing is, while Megalobox doesn't have a 2nd season (at least, not YET), Mob Psycho does, and it's in a similar situation. Perhaps the long-term plan is for Toonami to re-acquire Season 1 and air that again before Season 2? Who only knows?