UnevenEdge

10 Years Ago, Toonami was cancelled on CN...

3ngag3

9 hours ago, scope said:

At no point was I trying to argue sports anime were more popular than shonen anime, you made it that, everything is Toonami to you guys and you paint a picture very black and white, "on cable or not on cable, licensed and dubbed or not" the news you don't seem to understand is Toonami isn't very popular anymore, more people are tuning in to Netflix and Crunchyroll and Toonami is doing everything they can to stay relevant. This antiquated stance you take is part of the reason you would think an anime like Deadman Wonderland is even relevant at this point, no one that doesn't watch Toonami even remembers this show, it had a rushed ending because it couldn't even get more than one cour.

Lol what? We talk about how bad the ratings are every week. Pretty sure everyone knows Toonami isn't very popular when it has one show that gets more than 700 k viewers. Where people tune in to watch anime is irrelevant, sports anime still aren't popular in the US. It's still a fringe viewership.

Deadman Wonderland may be an irrelevant and mediocre anime, but in the US..... it's still more popular than any sports anime ever made. Same for Akame Ga Kill.

I enjoyed Megalobox and wouldn't mind seeing it on Toonami. But it's not as popular as people think it is.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Daos said:

Lol what? We talk about how bad the ratings are every week.

There you go all making assumptions again. Who says Toonami's ratings are bad? The fact that we still gloss this point over when it's been pointed out probably dozens of times that Toonami still does well on Saturdays makes me think that we don't actually want to believe it, because things would be boring without something to complain about.

I also think it's pointless to talk about the logistics of how shows get popular. Deadman Wonderland finished its first run on Toonami over six years ago, so of course it won't be popular now. Very few shows can hold for that long. On the other hand, regarding its peak, I don't think it was as popular as that of Yuri!!! on Ice.

At least more and more people are coming around on Megalo Box. I hope this proves a lesson that we should be asking for shows for the block to air that are good, instead of rejecting what isn't the most popular. That's how shows which hardly anyone knew about like Michiko & Hatchin have become TV hits.

36 minutes ago, Daos said:

Lol what? We talk about how bad the ratings are every week. Pretty sure everyone knows Toonami isn't very popular when it has one show that gets more than 700 k viewers. Where people tune in to watch anime is irrelevant, sports anime still aren't popular in the US. It's still a fringe viewership.

Deadman Wonderland may be an irrelevant and mediocre anime, but in the US..... it's still more popular than any sports anime ever made. Same for Akame Ga Kill.

I enjoyed Megalobox and wouldn't mind seeing it on Toonami. But it's not as popular as people think it is.

Anime is still a niche hobby in general, everything is a fringe viewership compared to shonen action shows, sports anime came up, my point was some are pretty popular within the western fandom, Yuri on Ice absolutely dominated the Crunchyroll anime awards in a year where Mob Psycho aired, at no point was I comparing it to shonen anime in the first place. Shonen action is clearly bigger than every other genre combined, all I was pointing out is that some sports titles are pretty popular within the fandom, not like massive DBZ sales which ya'll made it about not me, you Toonamites take everything to the bottom line about sales, it's like trying to talk about popular movies and someone just comes in saying well superhero movies are much more popular, yeah no shit tho.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, scope said:

Anime is still a niche hobby in general, everything is a fringe viewership compared to shonen action shows, sports anime came up, my point was some are pretty popular within the western fandom, Yuri on Ice absolutely dominated the Crunchyroll anime awards in a year where Mob Psycho aired, at no point was I comparing it to shonen anime in the first place. Shonen action is clearly bigger than every other genre combined, all I was pointing out is that some sports titles are pretty popular within the fandom, not like massive DBZ sales which ya'll made it about not me, you Toonamites take everything to the bottom line about sales, it's like trying to talk about popular movies and someone just comes in saying well superhero movies are much more popular, yeah no shit tho.

Yeah but you're acting like Sports anime is a close second to Shonen, when in the US it's probably the absolute least popular genre. I mean wasn't your original comment "sports anime not popular in the US??? What are you smoking?'

Shonen, Comedy, Ecchi, Horror, Supernatural, Harem, Isekai, Fantasy Magical Girl....  all of those are gonna beat out sports anime.

We're not that big on school/ slice of life in the US but I'm pretty sure it comes out ahead of sports anime. The only thing I can think of off hand that might be less popular is.... non mecha Sci Fi.

And Ping Pong the Animation is still the best sports anime.

26 minutes ago, Daos said:

Yeah but you're acting like Sports anime is a close second to Shonen, when in the US it's probably the absolute least popular genre. I mean wasn't your original comment "sports anime not popular in the US??? What are you smoking?'

Shonen, Comedy, Ecchi, Horror, Supernatural, Harem, Isekai, Fantasy Magical Girl....  all of those are gonna beat out sports anime.

We're not that big on school/ slice of life in the US but I'm pretty sure it comes out ahead of sports anime. The only thing I can think of off hand that might be less popular is.... non mecha Sci Fi.

And Ping Pong the Animation is still the best sports anime.

Was more thinking of those few examples themselves, yeah I don't really think it's the most popular genre but what I named is, Yuri on Ice was massively popular.

Ping Pong the Animation is class, my personal favorite is Cross Game but can't argue with Ping Pong, it's brilliant.

1 hour ago, Daos said:

I'll have to check out Cross game. The animation in Ping Pong threw me off at first but it grows on you after a few episodes.

Kinda like Ping Pong in the sense that it's really more character driven, it's baseball. I know what you mean about Ping Pong, I feel like every time I watch Yuasa works I have to reacclimate myself to his style, but it's usually worth it, Ping Pong might be my favorite work of his.