UnevenEdge

Megalo Box Discussion

MegaNaraku

I geeked out during the opening monologue when he ran over the One-Way sign. That got me way more excited for the rest than it should have, not that it matters since the rest of the episode was a blast.

I'm looking forward to Junk Dog's rivalry with Yuri. They both seem interesting to me. I also liked that most exposition was handled both concisely and with smooth character interactions.

• Like 1

My thoughts exactly. And I got pretty hyped when he said “they don’t give junk dogs tombstones” at the end. I really want to see episode 2 bad. For just boxing, this anime is pretty cool. I like the characters and the body gear used for boxing too. Nice mixup

• Like 1

I don't like rl boxing, and I don't much like anime boxing either, but just the first shot of the pebbles on the barren ground made me sit up in my chair, and I was already all in for whatever ride they were going to take me on.  There wasn't one thing I didn't like about the first episode, from the fantastic music to the Cowboy Bebop esthetic (including JD's resemblance to Spike), and Yoshimasa Hosoya's world-weary but caramel voice is just the icing on the cake.  The retro look of the animation with the sharpness of modern techniques left me drooling.  With the show-don't-tell story construction, so much world-building was packed into this one episode without having to say much of anything about it.  E.g., JD running his fingers along the bloodstained wall spoke volumes without a word.

This premier was so good, I'm afraid of it - usually starts like this end in bitter disappointment when everything falls apart. :/

As a big combat sports fan (Hajime no Ippo was the shit) and a big fan of the aesthetic, I was all over this like a dog on a steak.  The look, the world, all of it really has me hyped for the next episode...and an English dub.

15 hours ago, Gina Szanboti said:

I don't like rl boxing, and I don't much like anime boxing either, but just the first shot of the pebbles on the barren ground made me sit up in my chair, and I was already all in for whatever ride they were going to take me on.  There wasn't one thing I didn't like about the first episode, from the fantastic music to the Cowboy Bebop esthetic (including JD's resemblance to Spike), and Yoshimasa Hosoya's world-weary but caramel voice is just the icing on the cake.  The retro look of the animation with the sharpness of modern techniques left me drooling.  With the show-don't-tell story construction, so much world-building was packed into this one episode without having to say much of anything about it.  E.g., JD running his fingers along the bloodstained wall spoke volumes without a word.

This premier was so good, I'm afraid of it - usually starts like this end in bitter disappointment when everything falls apart. :/

Dude I feel you. It’s great so far, so I hope they keep it up and don’t flop it. Because this has a lot of promise

12 hours ago, Jman said:

As a big combat sports fan (Hajime no Ippo was the shit) and a big fan of the aesthetic, I was all over this like a dog on a steak.  The look, the world, all of it really has me hyped for the next episode...and an English dub.

Yeah I enjoy it. Idk who will be voicing the dub or if any info like that will be out. But I’d like to see Steven Blum voice junk dog

That gleam in his eye when he's happy.  ::melts::  So I guess no surnames in this dystopic future, huh, not even for citizens.  :)

One thing weirding me out is that the old guy's eye patch looks like he's got a hole in his head.

Oh, and holy cow, does this have a great soundtrack.  And that OP - it's so nice to hear something distinct from the usual interchangeable fare.

Edited by Gina Szanboti
  • Like 1

I watched the first episode of this as part of the anime club, and while it wasn't all the way there for me, I did like it. It did a lot to set up the show as a good pilot should, with some world building, but also some proof-of-concept scenes about the titular sport and its tournament. You know... boxing, but with these robotic exoskeletons, except when they're built into peoples' bodies. O.o

Parts of it also gave me some Redline vibes, mostly with how raw the action was, as well as the scenes in the desert with the hero getting some tuning work done on his equipment. So that was pretty nice.

I really can't wait for episode 3. I like how this is going, soundtrack and all. It has some champloo and redline vibes at times, but that is nothing bad at all. I laughed when he said that he wanted his boxing name to be Joe. But for a junk dog, it does fit him. But again, that SOUNDTRACK. I freaking love it. And the action is great too. I want to see him fight his way to the top. I want the next episode out already. Normally I give no shits about sports, but this... this I love.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...