UnevenEdge

Space Dandy Rerun Discussion

Blatch

There's the mysterious girl.  So she's the planet.  Lonely because the inhabitants destroyed themselves.  Hang out with Earth-chan! :)

The prettiest planet ever. :D

Go to another dimension huh?  Another hint of the multi-dimensional aspect of this show.

It doesn't matter where I go.  Alive or dead, I'm still pretty dandy. :)

So Dandy chose to stay dead to hang out with Limbo and the others?

It's a whole planet of album covers!  And that music is great!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

Voiced by Elizabeth Maxwell, who'd go on to do Motoko in Ghost in the Shell Arise

Not what I'd expect for Motoko.  Unless maybe she is younger in that series, or the VA can vary her voice a lot.

7 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Not what I'd expect for Motoko.  Unless maybe she is younger in that series, or the VA can vary her voice a lot.

Her voice is quite different there.

But yeah, it's a prequel (though not 100% beholden to the previous adaptations so as to not have to worry about slight cannon contradictions), so it is also a younger Motoko

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DangerMouse said:

Her voice is quite different there.

But yeah, it's a prequel (though not 100% beholden to the previous adaptations so as to not have to worry about slight cannon contradictions), so it is also a younger Motoko

Oh ok.  I guess I should watch it sometime if Toonami is never going to show it.  It being another continuity is probably why I didn't rush out to watch it.

Ghost in the Shell is a strange duck.  As I understand it, the movies, Standalone Complex, and Arise are all different continuities, and none are straight adaptations of the manga.  Also the manga is supposedly more light-hearted and cartoony, which I wouldn't have expected.

6 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Oh ok.  I guess I should watch it sometime if Toonami is never going to show it.  It being another continuity is probably why I didn't rush out to watch it.

Ghost in the Shell is a strange duck.  As I understand it, the movies, Standalone Complex, and Arise are all different continuities, and none are straight adaptations of the manga.  Also the manga is supposedly more light-hearted and cartoony, which I wouldn't have expected.

Yeah, even so, for the most part you can be comfortable just watching it pretty much as a prequel to SAC though, detailing the initial forming of Section 9.

So since you've watched SAC most of it should feel pretty right. I can't even remember too much being particularly contradictory.

Edited by DangerMouse

Just now, DangerMouse said:

Yeah, even so, you for the most part you can be comfortable just watching it pretty much as a prequel to SAC though, detailing the initial forming of Section 9.

Oh I see.  When I first heard about it, I thought it was a complete reboot.  Should I watch the movie or series version?

Just now, ben0119 said:

Oh I see.  When I first heard about it, I thought it was a complete reboot.  Should I watch the movie or series version?

Series first then the "New Movie"

The movie serves as the Arise series finale.

Oh, or do you mean you mean the OVA series version compared to the 10 ep TV series version?

2 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

Series first then the "New Movie"

The movie serves as the Arise series finale.

Oh, or do you mean you mean the OVA series version compared to the 10 ep TV series version?

I thought it was a movie series originally because they were numbered 2, 3, etc and there were just a few of them.  So it was OVAs?  I have no idea what to watch then.

8 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

I thought it was a movie series originally because they were numbered 2, 3, etc and there were just a few of them.  So it was OVAs?  I have no idea what to watch then.

Oh yeah, no problem, it's actually not as confusing if you'd followed it as it came out, the four OVAs were each about 50 mins and released in theaters before home video and were the original release of the series.

They were then recompiled into a TV episode runtime, similar to Gundam Unicorn, after it was finished so that it could fit on TV.

The four OVA's listed as Ghost in the Shell Arise: Borders 1-4 are available in two sets (2 parts each) and streaming, from Funimation. As is the movie finale, called "Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie" (heh).

Edited by DangerMouse

9 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

Oh yeah, no problem, it's actually not as confusing if you'd followed it as it came out, the four OVAs were each about 50 mins and released in theaters before home video and were the original release of the series.

They were then recompiled into a TV episode runtime, similar to Gundam Unicorn, after it was finished so that it could fit on TV.

The four OVA's listed as Ghost in the Shell Arise: Borders 1-4 are available in two sets (2 parts each) and streaming, from Funimation. As is the movie finale, called "Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie" (heh).

It's really called The New Movie? xD

So should I watch the OVA or series version?  If it's available to stream I should check it out since I am subscribed to Funimation Now.

28 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

It's really called The New Movie? xD

So should I watch the OVA or series version?  If it's available to stream I should check it out since I am subscribed to Funimation Now.

The OVA version IMO. It's like watching four mini-movies that way and was how all four were originally created to run. Also, I think only the OVA version has been dubbed, so that's another reason to go with that if you prefer to watch with the dub too. Then you can watch the movie which is available both dubbed or subbed.

If you really like the OVAs a lot, and want a little more before watching the movie, you can watch episodes 9-10 of the series version (Alternative Architecture ep 9-10, Pyrophoric Cult Part 1 and 2), which were newly created at the end of the TV run to further improve the flow of having the series smoothly flow into the movie with an extra story, though I'd say they are not completely necessary to watch and still enjoy the movie if you just want to get to the movie faster, since I originally saw the movie only after seeing the 4 OVAs. And didn't know about those two new eps until later.

You could think of ep 9-10 as "Border 5". But since those two eps haven't got a US blu-ray release so far, I think just like the rest of the TV series version it's only available subbed on the Funimation stream.

https://www.funimation.com/shows/ghost-in-the-shell-arise/

Edited by DangerMouse

22 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

The OVA version IMO. It's like watching four mini-movies that way and was how all four were originally created to run. Also, I think only the OVA version has been dubbed, so that's another reason to go with that if you prefer to watch with the dub too. Then you can watch the movie which is available both dubbed or subbed.

If you really like the OVAs a lot, and want a little more before watching the movie, you can watch episodes 9-10 of the series version (Alternative Architecture ep 9-10, Pyrophoric Cult Part 1 and 2), which were newly created at the end of the TV run to further improve the flow of having the series smoothly flow into the movie with an extra story, though I'd say they are not completely necessary to watch and still enjoy the movie if you just want to get to the movie faster, since I originally saw the movie only after seeing the 4 OVAs. And didn't know about those two new eps until later.

You could think of ep 9-10 as "Border 5". But since those two eps haven't got a US blu-ray release so far, I think just like the rest of the TV series version it's only available subbed on the Funimation stream.

https://www.funimation.com/shows/ghost-in-the-shell-arise/

I wasn't sure what to do since if I recall correctly they improved the visuals when they made Gundam Unicorn into a series.

I see.  Well that's odd.  If those extra episodes aren't dubbed, that doesn't really help me much.  Don't really want to switch back and forth, so I guess I'll just stick with the OVAs and movie, then.  Maybe this mess is why Toonami hasn't aired Arise.

Edited by ben0119

27 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

I wasn't sure what to do since if I recall correctly they improved the visuals when they made Gundam Unicorn into a series.

I see.  Well that's odd.  If those extra episodes aren't dubbed, that doesn't really help me much.  Don't really want to switch back and forth, so I guess I'll just stick with the OVAs and movie, then.  Maybe this mess is why Toonami hasn't aired Arise.

Yeah, that could be it. Having watched the OVAs when Funimation released them I didn't re-watch much of the Alternative Architecture TV version, so I didn't realize it still hasn't gotten dubbed so maybe that's why it still hasn't gotten on Toonami. Funi or Toonami should just pony up and finished dubbing the extra bits in order to air it. It'd probably be worth dubbing those two extra eps to finish the dub. The majority of the work is done.

Yeah, that's why I suggested just watching the OVAs and then the movie, since those are all dubbed. :)

Edited by DangerMouse

1 minute ago, DangerMouse said:

Yeah, that could be it. Having watched the OVAs when Funimation released them I didn't re-watch much of the Alternative Architecture TV version, so I didn't realize it still hasn't gotten dubbed so maybe that's why it still hasn't gotten on Toonami. Funi or Toonami should just pony up and finished dubbing the extra bits in order to air it. It'd probably be worth dubbing those two extra eps to finish the dub. The majority of the work is done.

Yeah, that's why I suggested just watching the OVAs and then the movie, since those are all dubbed. :)

Yeah but even then how are they going to air the movie finale?

I'll go with that, thanks.

12 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Yeah but even then how are they going to air the movie finale?

I'll go with that, thanks.

I suppose they could line it up to where it'd work for a special week. I mean it's not like they haven't aired movies before and some long finale eps like FLCL's or Hellsing's, so maybe they could do it as a special night since it'd just be for that last week.

Cool, I enjoyed it. Even with some of the differences like the younger versions, it still feels quite familiar so you should feel mostly right at home having seen the other stuff, like SAC. It's also quite neat seeing a younger Motoko and Aramaki get started and bring in the team.

Edited by DangerMouse