UnevenEdge

"evolving" opening themes seems to be a new trend

mochi

I.e. the opening stays the same but changes very slightly as the series progresses

Sailor Moon Crystal season 3 did this by having the opening theme's orchestration and singer change over the course of the series, and Yuri on ice the opening animation slowly got more colorful over the course of the show

Eh, I remember s-CRY-ed doing this a decade+ ago. Feel like it isn't more noticeable now than any other time in the last several years.

Yeah, still not common. Digital animation might make it a bit easier to accomplish than in the past, though.

What I've notices more of lately is when the final installment of the OP adds in sound effects. I feel like at least 2 shows did it this season.

Eh, I remember s-CRY-ed doing this a decade+ ago. Feel like it isn't more noticeable now than any other time in the last several years.

to be fair the Original sailor moon did it too....it's just that Toei only sent the "final" versions of each opening theme to the dubbers in the 90's and not the first second third and fourth versions

Sailor moon S for example had 3 variations to the opening

Version 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMtLwp62ZSAe

Version 2

changes : Uranus and Neptune added

Version 3

changes: Sailor Pluto added,  Kaolinite removed and replaced with Hotaru Tomoe, Chibiusa added, Holy Grail added and Super Sailor moon added

I've been rewatching Yuyushiki the last couple days. Besides being as wonderfully fucking adorable as I remembered I forgot how each episode's ending animation has different items depending on what the girls talked about/encountered in that particular episode. So cute.

**looks up the ending** looks like an Azumanga Daioh clone like Lucky Star, it is cute though....unlike Lucky Star (I very strongly dislike Lucky Star)

BREAK DOWN BREAK DOWN MOTHERFUCKERS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vioy595g06Y

The ending also evolved to include whichever recurring characters were introduced, and to incorporate Yoshikage Kira in the last couple frames with the diamond.

The best JoJo one so far was probably at the end of the Egypt arc where Dio interrupts the OP to have a punching match with Jotaro